PDA

View Full Version : neck brace

y-man
11-15-2010, 12:29 AM
hey guys i was thinking of getting a neck brace and was wondering what you guys would recommened . would like something thats not to expensive. i ride mainly fast trails and jump alot .

slightlybent47
11-15-2010, 01:39 AM
It’s great that your wanting to add some protection to your riding gear.
For me it’s a no brain’er, buy the best that you can afford, and something is better then nothing. I went with the top of the line (at the time) carbon fiber Leatt Brace and have liked if just fine, it beats the foam ring thingy I was using.lol
I’ve had it for 3 years now and it’s held up fine, luckily I have only tested it out once may be twice,who knows.lol It’s the only one I have ever had so I cant say about the others, never tried them.

Good luck.

DP #000
11-15-2010, 08:05 AM
i have a bran new never opened leatt. $500.

outacontrol
11-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I started with the leatt, and now have the white alpinestar one. for me i like the alpinestar for the money. doesnt feel as restricting around your neck, and gives me more motion to look around without my helmet hitting it. although the leatt might have been better with a different brand of helmet.. if money is an issue the alpinestar is a good one..

mjc597
11-15-2010, 08:32 AM
i've been racing with my leatte for 2 seasons now and my wife also shares it with me. and it's been great.

133tmf
11-15-2010, 08:42 AM
ya im with outacontol the white alpinestars brace is more low profile for better movement atleast my opinion ! but like the first guy said anything is better than nothing , but dont skimp on urself !

dirtrider77
11-15-2010, 08:54 AM
ive been using my leatt for several months now, and idk if its just me or the helmet style i wear (661), but i have plenty of movement and never feel restricted, i guess every person is different though

but if you decide to get one, i get them at half price new, let me know i might be able to hook ya up

slightlybent47
11-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by dirtrider77
ive been using my leatt for several months now, and idk if its just me or the helmet style i wear (661), but i have plenty of movement and never feel restricted, i guess every person is different though

but if you decide to get one, i get them at half price new, let me know i might be able to hook ya up

Dirtrider77 that’s because you have a neck like a giraffe!! Haha lol
Just kidding, not everyone is built the same so try them on if you can. I don’t know witch is better. Sorry dirtrider77 I couldn’t resist.

dehner47
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 133tmf
ya im with outacontol the white alpinestars brace is more low profile for better movement atleast my opinion ! but like the first guy said anything is better than nothing , but dont skimp on urself !

im for all and every neck brace on the market. cause like stated above, somethings better then nothing.

the only thing i will rebut is, you have to watch out for the brace being "to low profile" for your body type. cause that could totally cancel out the reason for wearing a neck brace in the first place. cause if you have a longer neck with low profile brace, it could allow your neck to be jammed down or back and not let the brace do its job. so, if possible, try some one or use some commen sense when purchasing a neck brace. could be a waste of $$$$ in some cases..

personally, ive tried them all. brother had a EVS, i have a Leatt, and my boy has a A-star. im 5'10', athletic/mucular build. average neck. and my leatt feels and fits the best of all of em. i love it. but again, any brace is better then no brace. so take your time and purchase the one that will best suit your body type and your riding style.. good luck with the buy..

OutlawBill
11-15-2010, 11:45 AM
EVS, and Leatt did not work for me but the Omega did http://www.omegabrace.com/index

dirtrider77
11-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Dirtrider77 that’s because you have a neck like a giraffe!! Haha lol
Just kidding, not everyone is built the same so try them on if you can. I don’t know witch is better. Sorry dirtrider77 I couldn’t resist.

haha being 6'2" the last time i checked, id say your not far off haha

slightlybent47
11-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by dirtrider77
haha being 6'2" the last time i checked, id say your not far off haha

Good thing you have a since of humor. Dehner47 made a good point in that if it doesn’t fit right it may not work as well or at all. I know that my Leatt restricts movement of my neck and I have to drop my shoulder to look to the side so it took some getting used to.
I think the idea of the neck brace is to, one restrict movement so you don’t hyper extend your neck, and two keep you helmet from breaking your collar bone, and three restrict movement downward so you don’t jam your neck if you happen to mimick a lawn dart.lol

440racer66
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
and two keep you helmet from breaking your collar bone

in every crash ive seen that the leatte worked it broke their collar bone but i would rather it be that then my neck.

dirtrider77
11-15-2010, 07:23 PM
yea i couldnt find the other half of my leatt 2 weeks ago, so i decided to ride anyway

now i have a broke back and compression fractures in 4 thoracic vertebrae

....i always wonder how i would be if i woulda had it on, because i wend straight into the dirt headfirst, like a lawn dart haha

and yea slightlybent47 i have a sense of humor.....take nothing seriously ha

y-man
11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
i was looking at the evs rc revolution do you guys know anything on this one. is this a good one or not ? thanks for the replys guys

dirtrider77
11-15-2010, 09:13 PM
at the races, atleast here in ky....99% of the guys are wearing a leatt or alpinestar.....

the evs, fly, etc. are all good braces and will all offer definitely needed protection, but it would be hard for me to buy a product that isnt as popular

it could be better, idk....but if i were buying my first brace, i would try on a leatt and alpinestar and pick one of those

.......let the flaming begin

dirtrider77
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by y-man
i was looking at the evs rc revolution do you guys know anything on this one. is this a good one or not ? thanks for the replys guys

and at that price you can get a leatt or alpinestar....all the leatts offer the same protection..the $$$ difference is just for weight and replacement part options....but they all protect u the same

(alpinestar may be the same, idk)

slightlybent47
11-15-2010, 09:37 PM
In the three years I have used the Leatt I have had 2 pretty nasty crashes and in both of them I felt like the brace did it’s job, I had no head or neck injuries at all even though in one I broke 3 ribs and the other I had a partial dislocated shoulder. In one crash when I took my helmet off I had clumps of dirt in my hair on the top of my head.lol
How it got there I can only guess. But again I felt like the brace did it’s job.

slightlybent47
11-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I just remembered that one day I ran off and left my chest protector at home and I borrowed one from a friend at the track and it made my brace fit more snugly and was more restrictive then the chest protector I normally use. And I know that my Thore chest protector doesn’t work with the brace. So take that into consideration when you pick one out. I hate to add another cost to it but you may need a new chest protector to go with it.
Take your currant one with you when you try a brace out.

y-man
11-15-2010, 09:54 PM
haha i actually dont have a chest protector either. i only have helmet , boots , gloves, jersey, and pants. the only thing i really have for protection is a helmet and boots as of right now.

slightlybent47
11-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Hay that’s a start and wanting to get better stuff is smart also. I had just remembered that and no one had mentioned it yet so I just didn’t want it to be a surprise.

dirtrider77
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
yea i forgot all about that haha

like he said, chest protector makes huge difference

i use the clear fox over jersey protector, it is cheap, offers great protection, and my leatt fits perfectly with it...wouldnt have it any other way!

y-man
11-15-2010, 10:52 PM
i just trail ride and jump so i dont have everything yet but i will get there haha

dirtrider77
11-16-2010, 11:10 AM
atleast your making an effort!

not one of those people that are too cool to wear any protective gear

y-man
11-16-2010, 11:14 AM
not me man. i want to have all the gear i can.

dirtrider77
11-16-2010, 11:33 AM
good to hear!