PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about brakes on a dodge ram?

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 07:59 PM
i'm in the process right this minute of trying to get the wheel off and wasn't sure if i need a puller cuz it won't come off i know this isn't for the sight but i tried looking it up and noone says anything about it sorry

Steve-o 400EX
02-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Are you trying to get the actual wheel and tire off?? Because you dont need one for that, it should come right off. R u Working on the discs or drums?

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 08:39 PM
no not the wheel and tire and there drums on a 3/4 ton 95 dodge ram 2500

Steve-o 400EX
02-09-2003, 08:44 PM
OK i know what ur talkin about now, i just tap em with a hammer and they pop off.

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 08:59 PM
tried that it didn't work

Quadfather
02-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Get a bigger hammer.

BigThumper33
02-09-2003, 09:39 PM
hit them around the outside of the drum, and between the studs. You can also heat up the studs and spray some penetrating oil in the holes. They can be a real pain in the arse.

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 10:00 PM
tried all that but nothing

BigThumper33
02-09-2003, 10:11 PM
thats it break out the cutting torch!! lol

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 10:22 PM
trying to save money by doing it myself not break stuff and pay more

EX LONERIDER
02-09-2003, 10:44 PM
not to doubt youre procedures but, did you happen to take off the parking brake? i sometimes forget to ......... usually comes off easyer if its off...

Steve-o 400EX
02-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Yea that is true, I made that mistake before, then when i finally figured it out it popped right off.

UglyMotha™
02-10-2003, 10:35 AM
if your talking about the drums on the rear if there adjustable then adjust them down so the shoes arn't setting so close to the drum then take a big heavy brass hammer and beat the living **** out of it from every angle possible and then it should slide right of, somtimes tire spoons asist pretty good too

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 11:33 AM
i'm not thaqt dumb the brakes arent on

speedjunkie
02-10-2003, 07:26 PM
First thing we need to know, does it have a full-floating rear axle(hubs that stick out in the rear)? If so, you have to pull the axle out first. If not, hit it harder. To pull the axle out you must remove the bolts at the end of the hub then pull it out. It will leak just a little gear lube out so be ready. After the axle is out you have to remove the axle nut and bearings. If you have never done this before get a book. If that stuff dosent go back in correctly you are sol....I hope this helped

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 07:38 PM
hete see what the lugs are coming through thats what i'm trying to get off

terko440
02-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey Carzy, I have a 1/2 ton dodge myself and thought I remembered hearing something different about 3/4 tons. But that might be for the front end as yours appears to be the back. Only thing I can tell that might be giving you all that trouble from your picture is all that damn rust! But those drums should damn near fall off! Dont you rotate your tires boy!

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 07:52 PM
yeah i do

terko440
02-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Sorry Carzy just foolin with ya. But your drum looks weird in that pic. It looks like it's one solid piece. I dont see much space around all the studs and axle. Are you doing something with the axle?, I see your pumkin cover is off. Good luck to you man.

speedjunkie
02-10-2003, 08:09 PM
You do not have the full-floating axle I was talking about. Is the drum loose at all? It sounds like it is just rusty. Use a lot of wd-40 and beat the snot out of it. Unless you are superman, dont worry about breaking anything.

speedjunkie
02-10-2003, 08:11 PM
I am ASE certified in brakes and I have done tones of brake work. Sometimes you just get those ones that dont want to come off

nastynotchback1
02-10-2003, 08:27 PM
if they are metal to metal you are going to have to run the adjusters all the way in before those drums will come off.bet you a dime to a dozen you got a lip on the outter edge of the drum and that is what is holding it on.i know your not a dumb a-- but make sure the parking brakes are released.

rhandw69
02-10-2003, 09:18 PM
I dont know much about Dodges Brakes, but I do know that theyre Trannys are junk. I have a 2000 Dodge ram, and already are on my second transmission. JUNK JUNK JUNK!

2fastandfurious
02-10-2003, 10:19 PM
I had problems on my rotors on my 98 expo. Used a oxygen unjected (saline???) touch and cut half way trough. Then i banged the rotor long enough, came off. I put this gray stuff on the rotors and now they slide on and off like pie no matter how much rust exsits. I would put the tire back on and have a guy with a large gear puller do it. Rust is dam dam dam stuff.

2fastandfurious
02-10-2003, 10:21 PM
unless you have been driving the dodge everysingle day since u bought it its hard to belive your on your second tranny. How many miles does it have? Its an auto right? Hmm or maybe you were nuetal dropping.............................

Steve-o 400EX
02-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
if they are metal to metal you are going to have to run the adjusters all the way in before those drums will come off.bet you a dime to a dozen you got a lip on the outter edge of the drum and that is what is holding it on.i know your not a dumb a-- but make sure the parking brakes are released.

This is true, i remember having to do this on my truck. If there is any break pressure on the drum at all it will stick. Back the adjuster way down and try that, also if you get someone to help you, One of you hit the top and one of you hit the bottom at the same time, it works some times.

rhandw69
02-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 2fastandfurious
unless you have been driving the dodge everysingle day since u bought it its hard to belive your on your second tranny. How many miles does it have? Its an auto right? Hmm or maybe you were nuetal dropping.............................

This truck is a 2000, whether i drive it everyday or not, that should have nothing to do with it. It went out at 38,000 miles. The dealer picked up the bill even though i was over the warranty, because as the manager told me "we know theyre is a problem with dodge transmissions, so does Dodge!"

Now the front hub assembly needs replaced.

Chanman420q
02-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Quadfather
Get a bigger hammer.

hit harder :rolleyes:

lilpoppy
02-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by rhandw69
I dont know much about Dodges Brakes, but I do know that theyre Trannys are junk. I have a 2000 Dodge ram, and already are on my second transmission. JUNK JUNK JUNK!

I have a 95 Dodge ram lifted 6 inches with 160,000 miles on it and I'm still on my first tranny with no problems at all. Not really sure what you are talking about. It has been one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Scott
02-11-2003, 06:13 PM
You're fighting the lip on the inside of the drum, like someone said earlier. I've had luck with putting a little pressure on the drum with a tire spoon or screwdriver and prying against the back plate while tapping around the drum with a hammer. Keep in mind that the backing plate will flex and bend if you pry too hard on it. But you've probably already tried that one. Also looks like you've already tried some penetrating oil around the hub. I'd reccomend trying some PB Blaster on the center hub, works much better than liquid wrench.

Steve-o 400EX
02-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by rhandw69

True that. My best friend has a red 2001 ram 1500 with a 5 inch lif and his blew out a month ago with only 32,000 on it. His brother has a black 99 with a 5 in lift and 44,000 miles and his is on the way out too. Thier transmissions really do suck but i do l really do think they make good trucks, just not trannys.

Doibugu2
02-12-2003, 03:47 PM
My uncle has a 2002 Dodge Spam, and he blew his out on the way home from Daytona for bike week. He was pulling about 5000lbs. His truck I believe had around 10k miles.

Whats the point of haveing a nice looking truck if you can only leave it in the driveway? Because your worried about the tranny breaking.

I'll stick with the guys in blue.:cool:

UglyMotha™
02-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

I'll stick with the guys in blue.:cool:

which ones:confused:

Doibugu2
02-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
which ones:confused:

Oval or Bow Tie. We have had them both, and both have always been good. Prefer Ford though, if I had to choose.

UglyMotha™
02-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Oval or Bow Tie. We have had them both, and both have always been good. Prefer Ford though, if I had to choose.

i've always been gm myself and use to swear by them but on the other hand i bought a ford ranger last year cause you know the price was so right i just couldn't pass it up and i have no complaints i actually love the little truck:p

Doibugu2
02-12-2003, 04:41 PM
I'm stuck driving a Honda civic right now. I had a 99 F150. I had to sell it when I bought my house. I couldn't afford the gas. I drive 80 miles round trip to work and it was just a waste. But I sure do miss it. I see another one in the not to distant future.:devious:

rhandw69
02-12-2003, 05:16 PM
yep, The dealership first tried to tell me that 35K miles was about the average miles for a Tranny. Well after raising **** in the managers office, they picked up the bill. I did alot of reasearch and found out that its a common problem amongst dodges from the trucks to the minivans. They are nice looking trucks, and do have good qualitys but clearly theyre is a problem.

Redram
02-12-2003, 05:40 PM
From what it sounds like, you are indeed fighting the inside lip of the drum. Adding lubricant and heating it up will do nothing. What you're going to have to do is loosed up the brake adjustment as much as you can and it should come off. There should be a hole just below the axle on the backside of the assembly. Shine your flashlight in there and you should see a little gear wheel. There will be a one way locker on it. You'll have to press the little locker back, then loosed up that wheel as far as you can. Once it won't go any further, you should be able to slide the drum right off. If not, get yourself a real hammer and convince it, because you have no other choice at this point. You might even just want to break it off if it's that bad, because if you have that big of a lip on it, turning it either isn't going to work, or will make the drum so thin that you'll screw it up the first time you put a load on it. Drums aren't that expensive. Do it right.

Redram
02-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah, by the way, I have 186,000 miles on my '97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Clubcab 5.2 with the original 5 speed in it. None of the manufacturers make a good stock auto transmission. Solution? Get a manual.

And another note.. doing neutral drops will eat a tranny up faster than you can drive the vehicle. Sure, the first few times will be fun, but you'll be in a world of hurt very quickly..

CarzyRrider
02-12-2003, 06:30 PM
got the drum off but now need to know how to get the hxez out from the diff?? ne one

speedjunkie
02-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Get the what out of the diff?

lilpoppy
02-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Ya I'm not sure what a hxez is eather?:huh

CarzyRrider
02-12-2003, 08:45 PM
sorry i ment axel

but thanks guys for your help in all of this i have figured it all out and u were right u have to wind up over your head with that mini sledge did that 4 times and "pop" and off that shiznitle came boys so thanks again to all that helped me out