PDA

View Full Version : axle problem, play

pondy
11-14-2010, 11:40 AM
hi, just stripped the bike down and building it back up for racing in 2011, have been inspecting the axle and noticed there is some play in the splines on the sprocket and break hubs, its rotational play, tested by having the rear brake on and turing these hubs. the play is nearly all gone when the axle nut is torqued down the spec, is this normal at all? the splines on both parts look fine with no wear
does anyone torque the axle nut down, i read some people run them snug, others a tight as they can get them?

also noticed though the year that the wheel hubs come loose, the nuts are loctited, and have a large cotter pin so cannot come loose, but still manage to? same again no wear to spines etc? if i put the bike in gear and on a stand, i can get rotaional play in the hubs, but i need to try and turn the wheel with alot of force, with the nut alittle tighter than manufacure spec this play goes away

axle is a team firestick, alloy hubs, stock sprocket and brake hub

rooster300ex
11-14-2010, 02:14 PM
If my 300ex's axle lock nut gets loose the sprocket gets alil loose rotational and if i tighten the locknut there is no play