PDA

View Full Version : CR 250 ignition???????

Grande Huevos
11-14-2010, 08:48 AM
i was wanting to kno how exactly this up grade helps? wht r the perks and negatives?? what year is best and what might i expect to pay??? what all does it consist of new wiring,cdi, stator???

1promodfan
11-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Grande Huevos
i was wanting to kno how exactly this up grade helps? wht r the perks and negatives?? what year is best and what might i expect to pay??? what all does it consist of new wiring,cdi, stator???

Most likely you will get a few different answers on the best year. But almost all will tell you that the 2001 is the best. And if it wasn't, why is it the most sought after year??

Perks are easier starting, quicker revs, higher rpms, and just a better setup all the way around. When I first installed mine, I just made a quick pass down the driveway, and immediatly I noticed a huge difference. It makes it feel like the port timing has been changed. The powerband comes on sooner, and it just keeps and reving and pulling. As soon as you stab the throttle it just picks up right then.

Negatives..........none that I noticed. Some will say that with the smaller flywheel that your bike will stall easier. I've never had this problem. I can just "lug" it around and I've never had it to stall out.

You can expect to pay around $575 for a new one from ESR. You get a new stator, flywheel, harness, CDI, coil, and the adapter plate to install it........which takes less than an hour.

11-14-2010, 10:53 AM
1promodfan basically said it all; the only other comment I would add is it facilitates tuning, makes jetting easier and cures a lot of the electrical issues encountered with the stock ignition system...in my opinion.

The negative would be NO lights, however; many have found good work around solutions like battery powered lighting…

Agreed 2001 is the choice year.

Carlos

norcalduner
11-14-2010, 10:55 AM
You cannot run your lights with it. Otherwise, its the best set-up and almost a must specially with bigger bore motors of 350cc and up.

atv fan 28
11-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I just put my CR ignition on last week, and i was totally blown away with its performance. It was well worth the almost 600$. I highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about getting one. You wont regret it, I PROMISE!! Here is what comes in the kit from ESR.

http://i55.tinypic.com/ouxjzp.jpg