View Full Version : rear brakes on a dodge ram? can't get the cover off

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 07:22 PM
can't cet the cover to disk brakes off i threw a spindle in the rear diff and need to remove the axel but can't get the rotor off any info would help i'm trying to do it right now

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 07:31 PM
my dad says it's called the wheel it's the thing that covers the insides pads rotor and all that good stuff i thought u could tap it with a hammer and pulll it off

1badcrf
02-09-2003, 08:11 PM
had the same prob when i broke a stud.... We hit the top with a slegehammer and then the bottom.... hit it hard.. we tried for like three hous and couldnt get it until we used the hammer:) It worked

Leo
02-09-2003, 08:17 PM
rotor? or drum?

I'm guessing it's got drum brakes, disc's weren't available until recently..

I'm also assuming it's a 1/2 ton truck..

If it is drum brakes give the drum a few smart whacks with a hammer on the face (in between the wheel studs) and it'll pop off.. you may have to knock the plugs out of the backing plates and loosen the rear brake adjustment to get 'em off.

don't take this the wrong way, but if your the brakes are giving you trouble you might want to get a little help before you go tearing into the axle..

Leo

Leo
02-09-2003, 08:23 PM
just read your post in the powertrain section...

is it the wheel that's giving you trouble? on some of the older rams the steel wheels can rust to the end of the axles and be a REAL pain to get off.

in extreme cases I've had to beat the wheel until it was un-usable and / or cut them off!

best bet is to soak it with rust penetrant for a couple days..

usually a couple good whacks with a sledge around the outside lip of the rim will break 'em free (take the chrome trim off first, or hit the inside of the wheel)..

PLEASE make sure you've got it on jackstands securely.. don't want to read about anyone getting squished by a Ram :(

Leo

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 08:32 PM
just tried it and that didn't work and i hit it so good that the weight that was welded on fell off

and there only giving me trouble because it's stuck on there good i have to move the axel out a couple inches so i can get the gears in the diff to come out so i can put new ones in

and it's the the rim thats stuck on. if you take the tire and rim off and look at it there's a "wheel" my dad calls it covering all the brake components and it's either rusted on or there's a special method to get it off

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 08:33 PM
it's a 95 dodge ram 2500 3/4 ton with rear drum brakes

cam400ex
02-09-2003, 08:47 PM
the rear brakes may need to be un adjusted........has the brakes ever been replaced or checked the factory normally puts a locking what ever on the studs that hold the drum on but you would be able to see it with the tire and wheel off..

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 08:48 PM
it has never had rear brakes besides factory

cam400ex
02-09-2003, 08:51 PM
check the lug nut studs to see if there is any thing on them usually only to of them have it

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 08:56 PM
no there is nothing on them but is it oon the inside or outside where i could see easily

cam400ex
02-09-2003, 09:14 PM
you would be able to see it easy probably doesn't have it

leo right try backing the adjuster off

CarzyRrider
02-09-2003, 10:27 PM
anyone else????

Leo
02-10-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by CarzyRrider
it's a 95 dodge ram 2500 3/4 ton with rear drum brakes

if it's a 2500 take the 8 small bolts holding the axle in out, and pull it out.. you don't need to take the wheel, or the drum off... just the hubcap :) heck, you don't even need to take the cover off the rear diff..

95's you have to take the axle out first, then loosen take the wheel bearing retaining nut off (there is a small cllip that locks it in, look for it!) you'll also need a special 2 9/16 th socket..

Then you can take the drum / rear hub assembly off.

Leo

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 11:31 AM
i repeat IT IS NOT THE TIRE AND RIM it's the wheel on the axelcovering the brakes

UglyMotha™
02-10-2003, 11:39 AM
i repeat IT IS NOT THE TIRE AND RIM it's the wheel on the axelcovering the brakes

it's called a drum not a wheel so quit calling it a wheel if you start calling it a drum then everybody will understand what your talking about:huh

UglyMotha™
02-10-2003, 11:41 AM
did you try backing the brakes off like i told you in the powertrain section there should be a slot in the backing plate and you can back the the shoes off which will make every thing looser and it will be alot easier to pull the drum off

Doibugu2
02-10-2003, 11:52 AM

Hey before you go yelling at people. Realize Leo works for Dodge, and if I am not mistaken he is a mechinic for them. So he is trying to help. Maybe its you not explaining well enough. Not trying to flame. Take a picture if you can.

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 03:01 PM
i'm not yelling i just put it in caps so it would bring attention to it i'm just trying to explain it the best i can

Leo
02-10-2003, 06:08 PM
If it's a 3/4 ton truck you DON'T need to do ANYTHING but take the hubcap off... see the round piece with 8 bolts? about 4 inches around? that's the end of the axle.. take out the 8 bolts, the axle slides right out.. You can't take the DRUM off the rear of a '95 3/4 ton (dana 60/80) rear end until you take the axle out, and then the wheel bearing lock nut.

If it's a 1/2 ton truck (1500) take the tire/rim off, then give the DRUM about 5 or 6 good whacks with a hammer (by hammer I mean 32 oz + not some kid's toy) between each of the wheel studs. It'll come off.

What exactly are you trying to do here anyway? work on the brakes? work on the rear end? If you could tell me for sure if your truck is a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, and what it is your trying to do I'll try and help you out.

Leo

Leo

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 07:23 PM
it's a 3/4 ton and i'm trying to take the gears outa the diff but can't get the housing to the brakes off wait 5 min and i'll get a pic on here

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 07:35 PM
ok you see whats the lugs are coming through thats what i'm trying to get off

400exRacerX
02-10-2003, 07:46 PM
The drum!?, hit it a shot with a rubber mallet. If you don't know how to get the drum off, I don't know if this is the job for you to be persuing.

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 07:55 PM
actually i've hit it with rubber mallets mini sledge hammers sprayed a shyt load of pb blaster on it and not a centimeter of movement

250rpilot
02-10-2003, 08:02 PM
get a five pound sledge, and beat the living chit out of it, near the lugs. trust me it will some off eventually

Leo
02-10-2003, 08:03 PM
k, first things first.. I don't know what kind of rear end that is, but I've NEVER seen a 3/4 truck axle w/ 8 lugs that wasn't free floating.. On a dodge truck anyway.

Looks an awful lot like something funny is going on.. If you don't mind PM the vin # for your truck 17 digits (should be on the reg) and I'll hop on the chrysler tech website and tell you exactly what you've got (or supposed to have).. your going to run into trouble getting parts for sure..

OK with that said before you make yourself crazy trying to get the drums un-stuck from the axles..

take the rear cover off the diff, take the center pin out, push in on the drum and pull the axle retainer clip off.. I bet you can pull the axle / drum off as an assembly..

If you really want to get the drum off, hit it HARD and REPEATEDLY where I've put the yellow dot's.. cram a pry bar in between the drum + backing plate and pry outward while your hitting it..

Leo

CarzyRrider
02-10-2003, 08:06 PM
ok let me got get the vin brb