PDA

View Full Version : DS 650 X question

BamBam730
11-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I am going to do an oil and filter change on my 2007 DS 650 X.
I know I have to drain the oil resevior tank and the engine case drain plug. After the oil is drained from both locations and the filter is changed out, how much oil does it exactly hold?
What type of oil should I use?
Any help is appreciated.

tayyo789
11-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Don't use synthetic, and the weight of the oil depends on where you are, and how you run your bike. And it seriously takes like 5 quarts.

DSengineer
12-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes you can safely run synthetic as long as it states it is safe for wet clutches. Most motorcycle specific synthetics are. What you don't want to run are standard auto synthetics which contain friction modifiers that will cause your clutch to slip. Please don't go and dump in 5qts. Bomb shop manuals specify 3.3qts and mine have never taken more than about 3.5 qts.

DSengineer
12-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Also many DS650 owners are unaware of the filter screen located in the oil line coming out of the bottom of the oil tank. Take it out and clean after draining the tank. If its your first time performing an oil change on the DS be sure to have lots of paper towels. It gets messy...

tayyo789
12-10-2010, 02:44 PM
x2 on the paper towels. things get very messy when you drain the tank.

BamBam730
12-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DSengineer
Yes you can safely run synthetic as long as it states it is safe for wet clutches. Most motorcycle specific synthetics are. What you don't want to run are standard auto synthetics which contain friction modifiers that will cause your clutch to slip. Please don't go and dump in 5qts. Bomb shop manuals specify 3.3qts and mine have never taken more than about 3.5 qts.

Thank you for the information. Yes it is the first time that I am changing the oil on the 650. I normally have it done at the dealer, but I figured that I would just do it myself.

PS-I will also have plenty of paper towels around.

2muchquad
01-06-2013, 10:05 PM
a funnel with a hose on it helps the oil change go a bit easier.yeah i know this posts is old.people still snoop around lol:D

Nate992v
01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
One of the little hand siphon pumps works for getting most of the oil out of the tank. Makes it a little more manageable. It drains real fast, otherwise.