PDA

View Full Version : Bad computer virus. help!

Hondamaster5505
11-13-2010, 06:33 PM
A while back my computer got a virus. It keeps turning off the shields on my anti-virus (avast) and won't let me go on the internet. (laptop shows connection but browser won't connect)

It also keeps telling me my firewall isn't turned on but won't let me turn it on.

I'm using a different computer at the moment.

Any clue how to fix this? I really don't want to buy a restore disc and restore it.

CJM
11-13-2010, 06:53 PM
download malware bytes anti spyware and spyware terminator.

Try using them to remove it, if they dont work, try starting in safemode then run them.

Should clear it up.

Hondamaster5505
11-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Can I download that onto an f-drive to put on the lap top?

Scottt89
11-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Yep, Malwarebytes.org. Throw the file on a thumb drive and install from there. Start windows in Safemode W/ Networking (F8) as PC is starting. From there run Malwarebytes. To get internet in normal mode, try going to IE-Tools-Internet Options-Connections-LAN settings. UNCHECK Proxy Server if the option is checked. Sometimes viruses will put this on to block internet. While you are loading programs on your thumb. Try finding Process Explorer. Run this in normal windows mode and it will tell you suspect processes that are running. One of them will be your virus more than likely.

ProspectorJim
11-14-2010, 09:27 AM
reformat your hard drive (which wipes the entire drive) then reinstall windows.

Hondamaster5505
11-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm not even sure if its a virus at this point.

I ran Malwarebytes, and it came up with 2 trojans. I deleted them.
So this is two programs so far.

Pretty much nothing connects to the internet. (iTunes, Firefox, IE, etc) Yet the it shows its connected to the internet.

For some reason, it still won't let me turn on the windows firewall.

I would just re-install windows, but I lost the disc a long time ago.