PDA

View Full Version : Banshee MX

Rohr397
11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
So I'm getting desperate, it's late and I'm totally out of a quad for the 2011 Motocross season. I never thought I'd even be here since I'm all for the 4-Stroke revolution but has anyone ever tried racing a 'Shee. See these things all over the dunes, never at the track. Basically I'd re-do the front end to the YFZ set-up and set it up for motocross but as far as frame geometry and engine power I wanna know how it compares. I've got a Trx450r that isn't gonna make it another season and I need something quick, problem is the 450r won't sell after 6 months at it on craigslist, ebay and all that crap. The Shee' I'm looking at trading for has mill and stroke mods, advanced timing, port and polish, bored 20 over and all the goodies. I assume it would take a holeshot :D but the rest is unknown, I have a home track and a few months to fit the learning curve. Thanks

2muchquad
11-13-2010, 03:55 AM
they used to rn the banshee in mx back in the day but surely they werent as popular as the 250r.The high center of gravity and anemic low end didnt make them the best choice for mx but anything is possible with careful set up and properly selected components.i think about setting mine up for mx from time to time.

banshee84
12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
your gonna need +2+1 a-arms and a -2"swinger with some good suspension

Hondamaster5505
12-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Please don't do the YFZ front end swap..

That is a perfectly fine upgrade for the weekend warrior who wants a little better suspension, but for actual MX racing it is not nearly as good as a set up made for a banshee.

Get some +2+1 a-arms, shocks set up for your weight and riding style, a -2 swingarm, and a rear shock rebuild if you're serious about racing MX on a banshee. It will handle 10x better then a YFZ set-up shee.

I find banshee's to be more comfortable then 450's and easy to maneuver around, but the geometry compared to modern 450's is crap. The only way to make a banshee handle as good as 450's is to get a Lonestar Outlaw chassis set up. (Big $$)

But it's also about personal feel. People like DMCBANSHEE love their MX shee's and would never trade for a 450. And I remember watching a vid from Montreal supercross, where a banshee placed 3rd with 250R's in 1st and 2nd.

So they aren't the most ideal MX machine, but it can be done if you get a good feel for them.

profab250R
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I have seen a guy on a Banshee smoke all the 450s on the mx track in the pro class. It is a proven thing that the skill level of a rider makes a bigger defference than the actual bike, until you hit a certain skill level then the bike set up plays a huge roll. but A banshee will do fine as an mx bike just not as good as others.

RATPACK Z400
01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I thought only single cylinder motors only in MX !and they have to be 265cc,s that banshee story sounds like BS ! Just lok for other 450 to buy a banshee wouldn,t be able to compete with 450,s and the banshees aren,t made for racing Mx you would spend alot to get alittle more handling the frame is what holds it back !

TWILES
01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
I'm probably too late chiming in but I'll give you a run-down.

Starting off, there's no way I'd use a -2 swing-arm. However, I WOULD use a -1. You get enough power and -2 will be too hard to ride. I used stock and -1 on mine and the -1 was in the 250R range on traction and turing radious.

Look for a front-end similar in the Roll Design Lobo II set-up. They are out there. Laeger long-shocks a-arms set 1 inch forward would be fine. 50"s and more shock are really all you are going to get anyway. The width helps an ungodly amount but it won't turn any better. The width will allow you sling it around easier.

Shocks - ELKA! You can start cheap and work you way up, sort-of.
I had triple-rate with compression adjustment. Rebound costs more and I didn't think I'd need it. I had my stock rear shock turned into their ZPS and it worked fine for $375(8 years ago). With shocks, don't let all the knobs fool you. You don't need them unless you know what they are good for. They will get them where you want them when they put them together. The ONLY thing I suggest is to have them set-up for a Pro rider. You'll know why when you get them and don't bottom when you screw-up.

With Banshee's, suspension is 90%. You need good shocks, the wheels moved 1" forward and width

As for the motor, Toomey has you covered. Get the T-5's or 6's, jet fit and his airfilter set-up that doesn't use the airbox. You'll have to ride the clutch a lot but if you want anything changed, you'll know what you don't like and will be able to tell an engine builder what you want. HINT: Don't say you want more bottom-end.

Hope that helps

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2011, 07:04 AM
^ Pretty much sums it all up.

Although for MX, you would want a pipe like the Paul Turner Mids, or similar. Something with a broad, all across the board powerband. T5's and T6's would be a little too "peaky" for tight MX tracks.

With the porting to match, mid-range pipes can still make a lot of power.

It's a shame they don't make the Lonestar Outlaw frames anymore. Gave the banshee 250R geometry handling.

TWILES
02-01-2011, 03:16 PM
From what I remember, with a Banshee, you are better off enhancing what power it has over trying to rearrange it with exhaust if you don't do any motorwork. The T-5's and FMF SST's do that the best and work great with any motorwork. I was told about the SST's a year or so before they came out. To me, they just looked like Toomeys.

RATPACK Z400
02-02-2011, 06:57 AM
My thoughts is its like trying to turn a mustang into a rally car and race agains,t all wheel drive cars !

Hondamaster5505
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
My thoughts is its like trying to turn a mustang into a rally car and race agains,t all wheel drive cars !

Not even close. Turning a Mustang into a rally car, is like turning a utility into an MX machine.

Most people who speak greatly against banshee's never owned one. Their potential is endless and the fact that they're really reliable is a plus. (And you can't argue that.. when tuned correctly they will last a long time. I have a LOT of hours on my rebuild, not one thing has broken)

try telling DMCBANSHEE that banshee's suck at MX. He avidly races and free-rides on his banshee and it preforms awesome.

RATPACK Z400
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Racing desert (worc,s ,ETC) there awesome ! Pikes Peak,Baja, There champs in those enviroments but on MX tracks they cant compete agains,t 450,s ! The handling is far greater on the 450,s. Can you race a Banshee in the 450 class now? or is it restricted ? would love to see it ! I just dont think they would stand that much a chance.

Hondamaster5505
02-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Racing desert (worc,s ,ETC) there awesome ! Pikes Peak,Baja, There champs in those enviroments but on MX tracks they cant compete agains,t 450,s ! The handling is far greater on the 450,s

Rider plays a huge part in that. Back when they were still in MX, they were competing against the 250R's, Raptors, 400ex's and still placing in the top 3 quite a bit.

RATPACK Z400
02-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Maybe but those aren,t 450,s ! the 250r ,s weren,t being beat by no banshee,and the 250r TODAY wouldn,t stand a chance without its cc,s being higher at 265 it would get killed ! Banshees are awesome just not for MX pro racing does,t mean you cant race on track and whoop friends your just not going to race pro,s agains,t 450 ,s and win! But would be fun to watch.