PDA

View Full Version : what cam to get?!?!?

zoom400ex
02-09-2003, 06:41 PM
i am looking into getting a ross standard bore high compression piston and a cam. i was wondering what kind of cam should i get. I do mostly xc and normal trail riding. some hill climbing and alitte desert riding, so what do you guys think? thanks for the feedback

.............preferable a drop on so i dont have to get hardfaced rockers.....thanks

Steve-o 400EX
02-09-2003, 08:21 PM
If you dont want to mess with rockers and valves, i would highly recommend a Hotcam stage 2. You can run stock valves and rockers and there is no core charge so you can keep you stock one.

Good Luck.

zoom400ex
02-10-2003, 02:55 PM
thanks for the feedback......................anyone else?

LRD_27
02-10-2003, 06:19 PM
ok I want to buy a hotcam stage 2 .When I put the cam what do we have to change???

Steve-o 400EX
02-10-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure you dont have to change anything, just adjust your valves and oil it. I'm pretty sure thats all, if there is anything else, someone correct me.

02-10-2003, 07:08 PM
get new high temp valve seals and gaskets too..

la400ex
02-10-2003, 07:38 PM
Get a manual. Its not hard at all. Dont be surprised if you break any of the head cover bolts. You just have to take the old cam out and get the flange pressed off. Then, get it pressed back on the new cam. You have to take the decompression assembly off. Dont forget the little spring in the head. It adds a lot of mid and top. I love mine.

roostu
02-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
I'm pretty sure you dont have to change anything, just adjust your valves and oil it. I'm pretty sure thats all, if there is anything else, someone correct me.

I agree....you do have to remove the decompressor and have a peice pressed on.

~Roost-U

Dave400ex
02-10-2003, 08:00 PM
If you ride XC and want some bottom end, get the TC XC Cam...

speedjunkie
02-10-2003, 08:19 PM
I just ordered my stage 2 today, you will need to have the flange pressed on and off and dont forget the plunger thats in the head. I would get a book, you need to know how the timing marks line up, and the torque specs. My buddy installed one not to long ago and he broke ALL his 8mm head cover bolts. Becarefull when you torque the bolts, the only bolt that gets torqued is the single bolt in the center of the cover. The other smaller ones only get "snuged" down. If you have any ?'s just ask or do a search!

roostu
02-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by speedjunkie
I just ordered my stage 2 today, you will need to have the flange pressed on and off and dont forget the plunger thats in the head. I would get a book, you need to know how the timing marks line up, and the torque specs. My buddy installed one not to long ago and he broke ALL his 8mm head cover bolts. Becarefull when you torque the bolts, the only bolt that gets torqued is the single bolt in the center of the cover. The other smaller ones only get "snuged" down. If you have any ?'s just ask or do a search!

Yep!

~Roost-U

luvmyex
02-11-2003, 08:45 AM
I thought all the head bolt got torqued to 17 lbs.

lilpoppy
04-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by la400ex
Get a manual. Its not hard at all. Dont be surprised if you break any of the head cover bolts. You just have to take the old cam out and get the flange pressed off. Then, get it pressed back on the new cam. You have to take the decompression assembly off. Dont forget the little spring in the head. It adds a lot of mid and top. I love mine.

The decompression assembly is just that little spring in the head right? That is all we have to remove?

JD400exrider
04-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Quote by lilpoppy
The decompression assembly is just that little spring in the head right? That is all we have to remove?

The decompression assembly is on the cam.

lilpoppy
04-13-2003, 04:53 AM
I must not know what it is then is it only on the stock cam? What does it look like? Is it something we have to remove or is it simply removed by taking the stock cam out and replacing it with the new one? I'm putting in a Hotcam stage 2 so all I have to do is replace the new cam with the old one and remove the little spring right?

honda350r
04-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
I thought all the head bolt got torqued to 17 lbs.

If you do that they will break for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The small bolts get torqued to no more than 9lbs and the one large on gets torqued to 17 lbs

Jim