PDA

View Full Version : so is this a knock off

squrll
11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
http://www.globaltrailer.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=125cc%20typhoon%20a tv&Click=5241
Is this a knock off or worth me buying for my girl
If it is no good I will just fing a trx and hop it up

Hondo121
11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
its a knock off. look the swinger, all Xtremes have a chrome swinger. the gold axel is also a tell. these quads are not bad if you get a good price. 1300.00 is a little high for this one. also the 125's motors suck so that will go bye bye soon.
russ

squrll
11-12-2010, 07:37 PM
http://www.cheapatvshop.com/chinese_atv/xtreme_typhoon_125cc_atv.html

this one is a new 2007 so they say $1900

lem dad
11-12-2010, 09:08 PM
keep in mind xtreme went out I don,t think I would give over 1000.00 Good bikes but for 1900.00 you can find a nice honda 90

squrll
11-13-2010, 06:08 AM
yeah I am looking just started seeing these and started to wonder then I found that second one and they say it a 2007 so thought well maybe it is the real deal,

zrydr
11-15-2010, 07:25 AM
These bikes are not really worth it to buy new anymore, you can buy a used one ( that probably has a broken crank) and just replace the motor. Especially if your not going to race it.
I have picked up two of them for $500 each one was an off brand but is running good, and the other was a true Xtreme but has a broken crank, found them both within the last month.
Im not a racer, we just woods ride and dune ride but in my oppinion these are one of the best "low buck" options for a really good bike for younger riders.

leager-n-ky
11-16-2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=440682&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

This is a nice bike for less money..

tboltusa
11-21-2010, 05:46 PM
The term "Knock off" is vague

Details:
Extreme 100% DONE
0 parts support
Extreme TyPhoon was an FYM factory product
FYM Factory Produces this type of ATV for a number of importers including SSR

SSR has a VERY good parts support and has been at it for years with good success
Check these units
http://www.tboltusa.com/store/ssr-srq-125r-atv-typhoon-p-562.html?o

Ride1Rob
11-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I like that SSR for that price and I know they make some quality Pitbikes. If it's gonna be trail/field ridden it should be fine. If it's going to be MX'd it now can be built into a full out race quad. We started out with one in Dade City and another parent has just converted his son over from a Drr to a Typhoon for next season. He bought a used Typhoon for $500, sold his Drr for $1600 and put that money back into the Typhoon. All he's missing is the upgrades to make his race motor. When it's said and done he'll have around $3500 in a bike that will compete with 10k 2fast bikes. Another parent at the track said he's gonna move his son onto a shifter the year after that and he intends on building a Typhoon also.

lem dad
11-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by tboltusa
The term "Knock off" is vague

Details:
Extreme 100% DONE
0 parts support
Extreme TyPhoon was an FYM factory product
FYM Factory Produces this type of ATV for a number of importers including SSR

SSR has a VERY good parts support and has been at it for years with good success
Check these units
http://www.tboltusa.com/store/ssr-srq-125r-atv-typhoon-p-562.html?o

These are not the same these are copys of the fym-xtreme typhoon frame is diff ,a-arms diff these have hand clutch I f you sell these you should know put side by side and you will see these are not xtreme but a copy I belive they were by basan motors

zrydr
11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Just because I can see a useless non productive argument about to brew.
Here is the way I see it....................

Xtreme or knock off "any of them", if the bike is to be MX'd then stem, a-arms, nerfs, shocks, MOTOR "everyone of them" and probably swinger need replaced, frames need welds checked and gussets. Sooo you are buying any of them for the brake system, plastic, seat, frame to start with, axle, tires, wheels and so on, which is pretty much the same on ALL of them. I have seen one brand with drum brakes, "yikes thats scary".
Notice everyones complaint is about the frame, and welds, which will be corrected prior to racing with any of the brands, and the motor which will also be replaced.

If you are buying it for a recreation/woods bike then ALL of them are pretty close to equal EXCEPT the "original Xtreme" is a guaranteed need to replace the motor on the 125's it is by far the WORST of them all. If the SSR comes with a fully manual clutch then it is OBVIOUSLY not the "original Xtreme" junk motor with the dual auto clutch and weak crank that is guaranteed to break, Just for that alone it makes it a better bike to start with for non MX.

Please correct me if im wrong.

ewathen
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Rob,

since you are way into these 4 strokes... you think I would be better off getting the pitster pro 125 or the SSR 125 and using the $2000 left over to mod it? which do you think is a better end result? Stock pitster or ssr+2k in mods?

Thanks,

Eric

Ride1Rob
11-22-2010, 09:25 PM
The Pitster is a very nice machine out of the box. The Typhoon and it's look a likes have their issues. Before, there wasn't much of a fix for the Typhoons. Now with aftermarket stems, aftermarket arms, suspension, motors, it's the best bang for the buck that you can get. The problem is are you as a consumer willing to deal with and correct the headaches? The swinger is as strong as any but the brace is in the wrong place. Add one at the correct point like we did and it corrects the problem. The stem is simply garbage. Can be welded to correct the play tho. The arms set the entire geometry of the quad off by quite a bit. ChassisIncs arms correct this issue. And there is no fix for the motor other than swaping the crank with a full manual shift crank or swapping the motor entirely. When it's all said and done you will have a damn nice quad for around what it takes to buy the Pitster. Knowing what I know now I'd get that SSR. That's just my .02.

Ride1Rob
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by zrydr
Just because I can see a useless non productive argument about to brew.
Here is the way I see it....................

Xtreme or knock off "any of them", if the bike is to be MX'd then stem, a-arms, nerfs, shocks, MOTOR "everyone of them" and probably swinger need replaced, frames need welds checked and gussets. Sooo you are buying any of them for the brake system, plastic, seat, frame to start with, axle, tires, wheels and so on, which is pretty much the same on ALL of them. I have seen one brand with drum brakes, "yikes thats scary".
Notice everyones complaint is about the frame, and welds, which will be corrected prior to racing with any of the brands, and the motor which will also be replaced.

If you are buying it for a recreation/woods bike then ALL of them are pretty close to equal EXCEPT the "original Xtreme" is a guaranteed need to replace the motor on the 125's it is by far the WORST of them all. If the SSR comes with a fully manual clutch then it is OBVIOUSLY not the "original Xtreme" junk motor with the dual auto clutch and weak crank that is guaranteed to break, Just for that alone it makes it a better bike to start with for non MX.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Very good post

lem dad
11-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Been around these for a while we have a typhoon 90 with stroker kit this is best way to go it has been our race bike ,also had a typhoon 125 never had crank trouble the 125 was back up bike not sayin the xtreme are top notch they have bugs , if you are thinking about one of the copys they are pure junk I looked into ssr when I had my shop there pit bikes are nice ,the quads I would stay away from it will take alot more than 2k to even get close to anyhing I would stay with the yamaha 125 or a pister but if you are set on a copy look around I have seen some of them go for about 800.00

Rowlands Motorsports
Dylan 03

tboltusa
11-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Insteresting , because i have a few guys replace stock Typhoon A arms with SSR SRQ A arms and said it was a better unit and stronger construction

The term junk seems to be easy to thow around

NUMEROUS guys have contacted me with broken TY 125 cranks over the years

Ride1Rob
11-24-2010, 04:24 PM
The arms for the SSR are better and stronger than the Typhoons for sure. Honestly, I think the welds on the frame for the SSR won't be an issue. Some of the welds on Jams bike look a bit sketchy to me but he jumps the hell out of it and his frame has only had one issue in the four years we've had it. All we did was add a few gussets in a couple of areas just to give it extra support. The Baja's from Costco were on the other hand junk for sure. Welds were even worse than what the SSR and Typhoon have. If anyone is interested in building this bike it's hands down the best bang for the buck/performance if you build them correctly. Maybe I need to do a full writeup...?

squrll
11-26-2010, 06:48 PM
So these copies are all pretty good trail riders I am just looking for something for her to get her feet wet with she can already ride a automatic looking for her to learn how to use a clutch, I am either going this route or switch to a XR 100 and see what she does with that.

MANIAK 88R
03-22-2011, 08:48 PM
I bought this MOTO BRAVO 110cc for my 3 year old.

I paid $789.38 out the door.

I know the quality is crap but for the price, who cares?

I got a kick out of the front A-arms, they are stronger than the rest of the bike.

The suspension is great if you weigh 225 lbs.

I haven't got to it yet but I have some spare springs that I think I can use to soften up the suspension. Here's a pic.

hasbeenttduner
03-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Did you get a cali green sticker with that? What motor is in it? Did you buy it here local or mailorder/internet drop ship? Ride it really really hard and post how it holds up.:D

MANIAK 88R
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
It is CA legal approved for green sticker. The engine is also a moto bravo (at least it displays their name). It is a 110cc Honda knock off. It has an automatic trans forward and reverse. The little thing does about 30mph with my 115lb wife on it. I was surprised. Even though I exceed the weight limit, I have riden it around and it scoots pretty well with my lard @$$ too. My kid loves it.

The draw backs that I can see are where the nerf/pegs mount to the frame is poorly engineered. It has flex at the frame. If left alone it will eventually crack and break. I can bolt a crossbar to connect the nerfs which will solve that problem.

The second draw back is that it has drum brakes on the front. The advanced style of A-arms will allow me to convert to another type of spindle though. Something like from a blaster or lt230 or 300ex. I'll have to go to a larger diameter wheel.

The rest of this thing is like a brick $#!thouse.
Electric start, functioning headlamp, LED tail light, stainless muffler.

My kid is now 4 and he's getting better but the quad is a little big for him still. He can trail ride along with us now without constant instruction but he's not out rippin and tearin yet.

Oh, I bought the thing down in Southern Cal. It was an online dealership but they don't sell this exact one anymore.
The web site has changed as well but I believe that is now superiorpowersports.com

They have lots of CA legal equivalents though.

hasbeenttduner
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
So that only has a single forward gear? No first second third?

MANIAK 88R
03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Correct, it's like a utv or a snowmobile or a kfx700.

It has centrifugal gearing. No gears, just hit the throttle and it keeps accelerating until the motor rev's out.

hasbeenttduner
03-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Too bad it doesn't have a good 3-4 speed manual clutch or correctly built simi auto clutch.

MANIAK 88R
03-23-2011, 04:30 PM
What I figured was it was at least a good platform for an engine transplant later once my kid gets to that stage.

zrydr
03-23-2011, 11:22 PM
I think LILMAN is talking about the typhoons not really the topic here.

hasbeenttduner
03-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Agreed. If it had a simular powerplant there could of been more interest in this same thread. If the same engines will bolt directly into it as well then maybe info could be shared in this typhoon section of the mini forums. I live in cali and wanted to buy a SSR but they can't sell them in this state anymore. It is all out of control here.
Have you hugged your tree today?

Mallford
03-31-2011, 09:44 PM
Total highjack here, but this is the first time I have seen anything like my daughters quad actually mentioned anywhere. We bought ours when she was 5 and we have slowly made some upgrades. Exhaust, carb, front shocks coming along with some xfr nerfs. She is running hare scrambles with hers, its all about fun and its great to see a $800 quad running with some $10k money pits.

Known as the Supermach KCG110 its almost identical to that Jaguar, but she has the 3 speed semi with reverse. Might change it to a true shifter so she can make the change to a 125 Raptor or Pitster Pro. Not bad for the money and if you look hard enough you can make upgrades work. An extended swinger would be really cool, but she might outgrow it this year.

http://assets.hookit.com/RFS/2010/08/22/b4ee0467-76ba-495f-8bdc-61b4707ef18ef.jpg?size=775

http://assets.hookit.com/RFS/2010/07/19/7390d414-4089-47fc-960a-bdcc8baa531df.jpg?size=775

MANIAK 88R
03-31-2011, 10:56 PM
That's pretty cool, I have plans for my kid to flat track this one.

To be honest until your response, I haven't seen any other similar bikes either. I originally hijacked the thread partly for that reason. I wanted to see if anyone else had one of these with the pros and cons.