PDA

View Full Version : XC feedback please

THR36
11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
i just started racing xc quads this year..

this winter im totally stripping the bike down and redoing..gussest kit etc. etc.

ive been looking at shocks and a arms.

can anyone help me or give me some ideas of where i should be looking.

long travel vs standard?

ive been looking at rs fx and exit shocks.

also roll design and elkas??

yes no

feedback please

Butter
11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
My brother raced with Rob Hurts from PA for years. They are really good friends, and Rob was running Pro/Pro Am at GNCCs. He will swear by ARSFX/Axis. In fact my bro runs ARSFX's MX setup front and rear, and it works really well. I would say spend the money and do it right with them!

airmobile101
11-11-2010, 09:06 PM
If you are gonna run that ARS-FX set-up, run them with their shocks. Exit shocks.

Standard or LT???? Thats pretty much your choice. Your gonna have more options with LT setup.

I'm not a big fan of Elka shocks. I will rate them right there with Works shocks. Then again......... you can take any shock to a good shock re-builder and he/she will work magic. IMO

fastredrider44
11-12-2010, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
If you are gonna run that ARS-FX set-up, run them with their shocks. Exit shocks.

Standard or LT???? Thats pretty much your choice. Your gonna have more options with LT setup.

I'm not a big fan of Elka shocks. I will rate them right there with Works shocks. Then again......... you can take any shock to a good shock re-builder and he/she will work magic. IMO

x2 Lots of good combos out there for the Honda, so keep your eyes open.

watts16
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
I run houser slicast and axis shocks. It works great. Ive been wanting to try out teixeira setup front and rear. Ive heard great things about there set up.

THR36
11-12-2010, 03:32 PM
i think ars fx only makes long travel anyway..

i seen some of texieira stuff pretty sick.

i just want something better then stock. thats what i have now..im running up front but not contending for wins yet..i think if i get some suspension i would be alot better and probably save me some arm pump

leev26
11-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I love my Teixeira/Fox setup! Give Ed a call, he has some good package deals.

bwilliams450er
11-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by THR36
i just started racing xc quads this year..

this winter im totally stripping the bike down and redoing..gussest kit etc. etc.

ive been looking at shocks and a arms.

can anyone help me or give me some ideas of where i should be looking.

long travel vs standard?

ive been looking at rs fx and exit shocks.

also roll design and elkas??

yes no

feedback please

LT setup is going to be more dollars, so if money's an issue, stick with ST. also, depends on your skill/speed. you aren't going to notice a big difference between LT or ST if you don't utilize the LT. also, there are some good companies out there that can revalve your stock suspension for a reasonable price and make it work awesome. there's a few guys that run pro-am gncc that still run stock revalves, so that tells you how good they set them up

Scro
11-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I would stay away from Roll Design a-arms for XC. They use heims instead of balljoints, which will wear quicker because of mud and debris getting in them.

bwilliams450er
11-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I would stay away from Roll Design a-arms for XC. They use heims instead of balljoints, which will wear quicker because of mud and debris getting in them.

agreed

sameltoe
11-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Ars fx/axis love them so much I'm thinking bout buying them for the 250r...

Dave400ex
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Teixeira/Fox is a great setup.

The ArsFX/Exit is also very good.

It all comes down to getting the shocks dialed.

dgmiller
11-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by leev26
I love my Teixeira/Fox setup! Give Ed a call, he has some good package deals.

x2

marmino
11-25-2010, 10:59 PM
i'm running gt thunder revalves with gt thunder xc link but stock a-arms and axle for now

turbo j
11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I would skip the gusset kit unless you crash a lot. Put your money into suspension and a good slip-on pipe along with an outerwears airbox cover. Run a new chain every year and replace chassis bearings at the first sign of play. Use good 6-ply tires front and back.

Do what you can to avoid DNF's.

You should give an idea of your budget to get better feedback.

THR36
11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
my budget from now till race season is probably about 4,000 or 5,000.
i have to get suspension and a arms though. im going to skip the swing arm.
i have to get a precision stabalizer,

to get the gusset kit and frame powder coated its about 400 bucks..
and then i was going to get the hrc kit with a new wiseco piston. which is all about 900 bucks.

Dustin_Drews
12-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Being sucessful at xc is about being comfortable so you can stay fast and RELAXED the whole race!
So
First get the best suspension you can afford both front and rear.
Second get a steering stabilizer.
Third get the best tires you can buy.
Forth Get a set of flex bars or Precision bar mounts.
Fith is and engine mod I would do is a Recluse clutch u will understand the first time you ride it in a tricky spot.
After you do this take half your money you have left and put it asside for maintenance and fuel and save the other half for stuff you will brake thoughout the year.
Race it few times and see if you NEED any more power... Then mod from there! But without all the above completed you will never use the power of the stock engine to the fullest extent!
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

THR36
12-01-2010, 04:49 PM
thank you..

so do you think i should gusset and powder coat the frame?

Dustin_Drews
12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I think if you have good suspension you should be ok...
But not knowing how much you ride or how much jumping you do that is for you to decide. Most of the races I race are tight woods but not many jumps so I opted not to weld mine! But if I move up a class after next year I may just to ensure I will not have problems in the future...
I would wait and do it next year if I were you... Just my 2 cents
Also what class you racing?
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

Dustin_Drews
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
All the aftermarket swing arms crack!
Stick with the stock one! Save your money!
You do need to get and aftermarket link!
The 06 and newer are a touch longer and allow for a much better shock set up.
But with the 05 being shorter it turns a little better...
A novice rider and most intermittent riders would not be able to tell a difference!
Bud do not worry about the after market swinger!
God Bless,
Dustin Drews

airmobile101
12-03-2010, 12:22 AM
^^^^^^Exactly, I would just yank your stock swinger off and have some pretty powdercoating done to it. It will save you a alot of cash. As for a gusset kit, that will depend on your riding ability, geographical location, and weight. If your a "A class" rider and weight 200lbs, then maybe you need a gusset kit. lol
I myself have my 450r gusseted and I only weight 150lbs,but there is a reason for this. I tend to have a bad habit of smoking trees at a high rate of speed:D

If your gonna have the bike stripped to the frame, then yes.... go ahead and have it gusseted;)

304racing
12-09-2010, 10:24 PM
CALL DERISI RACING AT 704-538-3512 HE HAS IT FIGURED OUT AND WE RUN HIS STUFF AWESOME,CALL HIS PRICES ARE GOOD

ott05
12-13-2010, 05:40 AM
If you are going the ARS Fx/Exit route keep your stock swing arm or preferably get a stock 06+ and get there gold series link. It allows you to run there long travel shock and keep your more durable stock swingarm. Also get there skid for the linkage and swing arm because no stock style swing arm skid will fit plus they are built like a tank. This is the setup I run and it is bad***.