PDA

View Full Version : Can't get brakes to bleed.

Moded86R
11-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey guys long time no post!

Today I got a wild notion to get my 300ex fixed enough to ride.My Dad got the bike brand new.He passed away in 2002.Shortly after I flipped the bike backwards down a hill and messed the handlebars and headlight up pretty good.I parked the bike about 7 years ago and it hasn't been mess with until today.

I remember taking the rear caliper off and using the brake pads on my 400ex.So today I replaced them with some new one's.I also had to remove the brake fluid resivor and to drill out a stuck screw.I put it all back togother.And I can't get any keep of brake pressure at all.Can't even get the system to take brake fluid at all.

I am working on the rear brakes.

I've tried a different bleeder screw.Making sure all the lines and connections are tight and not leaking.Changed the clamp that holds the brake hose the resivor.

Any idea's would be great!

Thanks.

dman66
11-11-2010, 07:53 PM
When you put on new pads, did the caliper piston compress into the caliper? One way to tell if your getting brake fluid to the caliper, is remove the brake hose at caliper, then press brake pedal down to see if your getting fluid from master cylinder to caliper. Just make sure you have something to catch/drain brake fluid into. Used good calipers and brake parts are reasonable price wise on ebay.

Moded86R
11-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah the piston went into the caliper.I will remove the banjo bolt tommorow and see if I am getting any fluid.

I just tried to buy the whole setup off a member here but it's already sold.I would love to have this little bike back in action.Had alot of great times and learned how to ride a wheelie on this little qaud.

dman66
11-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Yeah, I just put info out there not knowing if you new which direction to go in. And yes these quads are a blast to ride.

Moded86R
11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Well guys the power wire on my computer broke and I got a new one today.

But I still have not got these back brakes bleed.How often does the rear master cylinder go out on these bikes.Like I said all that this thing has done is sit for the past 7 years.

Not getting any fluid to the caliper.I am gonna try removing the hoses and see what I find tommorow.Hopefully I can figure it out and it will be a free fix.

I rode the little bike today.Drag raced a warrior and we where side by side down the road WTF how fun was that!

There not fast but fun little bikes nontheless...

Moded86R
11-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I took all the back brake lines off this morning.Than I removed the rear master.None of the lines were clogged.And the master cylinder was not cracked or broken.Plus the brakes used to work fine.

So I put it back togother.I tried a trick that my dad taught me when I was a kid working on my 250r.You take a small piece of clear plastic hose and a small container of brake fluid.Take the hose and place it over the end of the bleeder screw.Than take the other end of the hose and put it in the container of brake fluid.Making sure to keep the hose submerged.Crack the bleeder screw loose and pump the brakes.

This is what I did.And at first I saw a few small bubbles.Than the fluid started going down the in the master cylinder res.Keep pumping.A few more bubbles.All of sudden the fluid really falls in the master cylinder res.Tightin the bleeder screw and wala they work!

Just a couple weeks ago I replaced the caliper on my 400ex and it took a whole 30 seconds to bleed.I wonder why these brakes were so tough?

Now I just gotta get the little brute looking better....

XR200R
11-28-2010, 06:07 PM
my 96 300ex rear caliper too a total of 2 hours pumping by hand.