PDA

View Full Version : please help whats wrong

HellaMoney
11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
I have a 2006 ltr and the other day i was riding and all of a sudden it just started dumpin white smoke and stalled out then wouldent start again with the button so i pushed it and jump started it cuz i was deep in the woods and i needed to get home so i rode it home slowly dumpin smoke the whole time if i tryed to speed up it would just lug and choke up i could put it to the boards and it would go any were and basicly when i got in my driveway it staled out again and would not start so i pushed started it again and it wouldent hold an idle and just kept choking up also i found some motor oil in my airbox any one know what could be the problem

Jim417mx
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
How old is the quad and how many hours? Sounds like its time for a new piston. Oil is getting blown by the rings and into the airbox.. hard starting means no compression. First thing I would do is a compression test.

HellaMoney
11-11-2010, 01:24 PM
i had the bike day it came to my local dealership in 2006 i dont know how many hours are on it but lets just say alot i had a feeling that it was time for a rebuild i was just hoping that it might be something else

Drewltr450
11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah most likely the compression rings are shot.

Limited Z_400
11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Do a leak test rather then a compression test. You will know how much cylinder leak you have in percentage.0-8% your good anything higher check your intake,exhaust and blow tube for leakage.

Robin Hood
12-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Had the same thing happen to me in one of my harescrambles. You should look into a new piston + cylinder kit.

IXCR25
12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by HellaMoney
I have a 2006 ltr and the other day i was riding and all of a sudden it just started dumpin white smoke and stalled out then wouldent start again with the button so i pushed it and jump started it cuz i was deep in the woods and i needed to get home so i rode it home slowly dumpin smoke the whole time if i tryed to speed up it would just lug and choke up i could put it to the boards and it would go any were and basicly when i got in my driveway it staled out again and would not start so i pushed started it again and it wouldent hold an idle and just kept choking up also i found some motor oil in my airbox any one know what could be the problem

Its your ring, the niacin has worn off your ring and its either chipped or completely got ate up by the piston, if you rode it that long, 9 times out of 10 youll need a new top end, thats why mines getting a new top end now, the same exact thing happend same trail and everything, except mine happend like 1 hour into our riding haha

450Rchaser
12-23-2010, 07:52 AM
If you wanna upgrade to a high comp piston while ur at it i got a BRAND NEW wiseco 13:1 still in the box and a cometic gasket kit still in the package for cheap.