PDA

View Full Version : ?'s about my rebuild

luvmyex
02-09-2003, 05:52 PM
I started my rebuild today.I've got everything taken apart and ive got a couple of questions now.
#1 There is a fair amonut of carbon on the valves.Maybe 1/32 enough to see it caked on there.I havent done a leak test yet.But i want to get the carbon off before i put it all back togeather.I dont have the cash for new one now so how can i clean the valves with any damage to em?
#2 I didnt mess with em mush but the gaskets were stuck on pretty good.What is the best way to get the paper gaskets off?
#3 I didnt see any signs of excessive wear on anything.The cyclinder looks really good,I can still see the hone marks on it.No scratches at all.But i have been going tru between 4-8 oz's of oil with every tank of gas,Been smoking heavy at the start up and dont notice it as much after warm up,but you still smell it.I checked the ring gap and the top two rings were way over spec.I think max on the top ring was.014 and the 2nd ring was .026.When i checked it was about .025-.040. Do you think that would be the cause of all the oil loss?Ill be replacing the valve seals also to be safe.But not the guides.
BTW im adding my piston and cam thats in my sig.

luvmyex
02-09-2003, 08:01 PM
out of 20 views nobody can help me???

luvmyex
02-10-2003, 01:03 PM
i thought people on here knew something,Guess i was wrong.HELLO???????????

Str8Wicked
02-10-2003, 01:07 PM
well for the gasket problem.. Did you try a gasket scraper...

don't know anything else on the other ?'s

Teufel
02-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey Bro soak the valves in some carb cleaner. You can clean them up with some emory paper. Just be careful not to put any deep scratches on them. Also once you start make sure you get all of the carbon off.
Did you bore the cylinder or are you just reringing it? Take a piece of 3M scotch brite wrap it around your hone and run it through the cylinder as though you were honing it.
Clean the cylinder in water and soap as hot as you can stand it. Blow it dry and and spray with a lubricant such as wd-40.

Have any questions I will try to help.

luvmyex
02-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Didnt know ther ewas a gasket scraper really.
Yes i will be going up to a 416 from stock.What is the scotch brite for? just cleaning up anything from the bore?They should hone it after the bore right?

Teufel
02-10-2003, 01:40 PM
A gasket scraper is fine , be careful not to gouge. They will hone it after boring. Preferably find a shop that hones the bore to size instead of cutting it. Most shops that do hi performance stuff will be able to do it. The scotch brite will smooth the bore out somewhat and allow the rings to seat quicker with minimum wear on them.

nakomis0
02-10-2003, 02:53 PM
A sharp utility knife blade works pretty good on the gasket.

MichaelS693
02-10-2003, 02:58 PM
razor blade... one of those things that scrapes the paint off of windows that is like a razor

luvmyex
02-10-2003, 03:06 PM
THanks everyone.I have some clues as to what to do now.Just want to make sure i do this right.I dont want it to come apart on me in a month or two.I thought i was gonna have to get midevil on somebody to get a answer :devil There were 30 some views with no replies.
Teufel,The scotch brite wont scratch it up?

Evan
02-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Hey I just saw this other wise I would have told u today when we met.

1. You can clean them up with some cleaner and a wire brush, but your best bet would be to take it to that guy I was telling you about that does the boring, take the head and valves and all to him, give him the valve seals too, he will clean the valves regrind and reseat them for ya all for a low price. Defintely worth the money

2. I use a razor blade on mine to get the gaskets off, little bit tedioius but it works.

3. I would be willing to bet its your oil rings that are causing the oil loss, not your compression rings. When I rebuilt mine, my oil rings had no tension left. If your going to a 416 then this problem should be solved, the aftermarket oil rings are stronger than stock. Stock oil rings last about 50 hrs from what I have seen.
Hope this helps-nice meetin ya today too, you seem lika a nice guy.

Teufel
02-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Teufel,The scotch brite wont scratch it up?

No it will take the edges off of the scratches that the hone puts in there. Practice on the cylinder before you take it to the shop.

RideRed400StYlE
02-10-2003, 04:39 PM
I would go ahead and order new valve guides also. they tend to wear out and cause your oil to burn. if you have it apart might as well do it right

luvmyex
02-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Enjoyed meeting you also Evan.Nice to meet the others on the fourms once in awhile.I would have stayed and talked longer but i was freezing in all that wind.Im going to talk to that guy tommrow i think.What did you say the name was?Jimmies machine?Only bad thing about all this is my quad is at a friends about 35 mins away.He has a nice big garage in his back yard.And i dont lol.You 'll have to invite me to that practice track one day.
You are talking about (Scotchbrite)like you scrup pots and pans with or is there something less corse?
I dont really have the cash for the guides right now,but i am putting in new seals,thanks to XRider I know its only around $50 but That would keep me out of the machine shop another week or two.

Evan
02-10-2003, 06:17 PM
I would not worry about the guides, they are not prone to wearing. The place is Jamies Machine Shop, but the guys name is jim. He charged me 25$ to bore the cyl, and 15$ to fix my head, install valve guides, surface the seats, and install a sleeve in my cyl. I say hes pretty reasonable and worth a shot.
When you get it back together you will have to come ride with us some time, we have several 400s in our group and wouldnt mind another.

luvmyex
02-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks Evan,I called him today and got the same price's $25 for the bore and $15 to clean the valves and reseat them and install the seals.Very good deal.I asked if he honed to size and he does so it looks like ill be getting a good job for a great price! And i pick it up on Fri.thanks dude. Yea once the break in is over id like to hit that practice track.So long as there arent any major jumps,I dont heal as fast as i used to,and feel all the times i did get hurt now-a-days:uhoh:

Evan
02-11-2003, 04:56 PM
cool deal, hes a great guy to deal with. the jumps we have are do able on a stock 400 so u should have no problem.