PDA

View Full Version : Bearing carrier problems

biggfurm6881
11-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I got my new apex 90 to weeks ago, today I pulled the bearing carrier out and found the bearing full of metal from the housing where the sleeve that goes between the two bearings was grinding inside the carrier, so much fun, has any buddy else had any problems like this?

mmsoup
11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
From width of sleeve hitting bearings?

Diameter of sleeve too small and axle grabbing?

Just Curious

redonkulousruntsracing
11-30-2010, 04:47 PM
After the 50+ race 2009 season, I totally stripped and rebuilt my sons Apex 50. The axle bearing were loose so I replaced them. When I disassembled the rear carrier, I ran into the same mess. I just cleaned the inside of the carrier out and I had the sleeve machined down .010" so it wouldnt rub on the carrier and then reassembled it all after I packed the carrier with grease, I havent checked it since, but the axle bearing still seem tight after the 2010 season. The sleeve is just a little loose in the axle, and it can get off center and rub on the carrier when it spins.

nutech
12-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Do you use sealed or open bearings? Do you pack the bearing only or the whole tube? Is there an easier way of taking out the bearing other than welding a ball on inside of the bearing and pressing it out with an old axle?

redonkulousruntsracing
12-01-2010, 06:56 AM
OEM sealed bearings from Apex. I haven't found an easy to get the bearings out yet. I just packed the carrier.

Hetrick Racing
12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Snap On tools sells a bearing race removal tool in various sizes.
the tool works very well on all carriers.

As far as packing the carrier,it just depends on what your schedule is my quads we replace the bearings every 3rd or 4th week.
With that said I dont use anything other than asm.lube in the bearings.

nutech
12-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Do you use the center tube? Also would you now the Snap-on kit? We broke the ears of a Snap-on internal pulley(local rep. recommend). Cannot get behind the bearing due to the tube. Afraid to notch tube.

mmsoup
12-07-2010, 06:31 AM
I realize this tip is decidedly low tech but I've done it repeatedly with zero problems.
On Apex Roundhouse carrier and DRR stock carrier (I have both) I place in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, tap against a wooden block and they pop right out. The bearings are inset so when I tap against the block it gives me all the room I need if a bearing removal collet becomes necessary but frankly they normally just pop out