PDA

View Full Version : New Guy. Big Project!

BombSquadEx
11-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Hey Guys,

Ive been following the forums for quite a while now and I was in need of a project since I've recently sold all my old toys. Ive been riding quads and bikes my whole life and have owned quite a few, but I have never really made them mine.

My buddy has a 2002 400ex and Ive always liked it. So I talked to the fiance and asked if she cared if I started a project.. I was certain it was a no, but to my surprise she said yes. She knew I had been going crazy with all this monotonous wedding planning.

Just everyone on here aided in my decision as well to build a Ex and I'm sure I will be asking questions and looking up a few how-tos.

http://i54.tinypic.com/4tn87c.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/11qtmxc.jpg

I have literally started from the ground up. I purchased the frame and went from there. Im excited to get it finished, eventhough as you can see I have ALOT to do still. But definitely some big plans coming up.

Thanks for reading guys, and thanks for alot of the help that you guys have given me that you may not have known about

-Kirk

honda400ex2003
11-10-2010, 08:56 PM
looks awesome with the flat black, i cant wait to see it done. I have always debated flat of shiny black when doing the frame. this could make up my mind for a later time. steve

BombSquadEx
11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
It was a tough decision on my part as well. I like the flat black alot now that i see it though. My only concern (not that it will be a show bike) but it shows every finger print. Ha.

Im thinking White plastics with it. But Ive seen alot of red ones that I like alot. Decisions, Decisions.

honda400ex2003
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Red gets my vote! although it is not real custom lol. I still like to have it look stock. :devil: steve

CJM
11-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Will be a fun project, im digging the flat black too.

What are your plans, engine mods, etc?

BombSquadEx
11-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Yea I can appreciate that, Im 99% sure Im going with the 1st generation Ex plastic. Although I do like the look of the lakers or even fullbores version.

This thing will mainly just see dunes and the occasional wide open desert. +3 Arms are a little hard to squeeze into the woods.

CJM - Id like to remain with pump gas and 100 octane is available here in Vegas but i was thinking..

426 11:1 Piston
Hotcams Stage 2/3 or Sparks X4
Sparks x-6 Exhaust
41mm Fcr or 450r Carb
+3 Timing key
Mild P&P

I was even concidering the 440 stroker but Id have to talk to a couple people, like Wheelie, and see how they like it.

It really is just wide open dunes most of the time.

beags86
11-10-2010, 09:25 PM
if you just building a dune machine you should go 440... or even stroke it and go 460... just make sure you build it right...

BombSquadEx
11-10-2010, 09:29 PM
I looked at the 460 for quite awhile. I havent read too many things about it.

Im going to be doing a spal fan setup similiar to texas400 (I believe he posted a step by step) and GT Thunder Head studs.
Is it possible to keep a 460 reliable? I would love to have the extra power.

But I know from experience (an old banshee of mine) and thats with more power there's more problems..

Ian400ex
11-11-2010, 07:01 AM
Good luck, looking good!

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks Everyone.
The A-arms should be back from powdercoat today or tomorrow so hopefully i can get those mounted up.

Will the 450r shocks work okay with +3, +1 arms?

beags86
11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by BombSquadEx
I looked at the 460 for quite awhile. I havent read too many things about it.

Im going to be doing a spal fan setup similiar to texas400 (I believe he posted a step by step) and GT Thunder Head studs.
Is it possible to keep a 460 reliable? I would love to have the extra power.

But I know from experience (an old banshee of mine) and thats with more power there's more problems..

oh my....your going to compare a banshee to a 400ex?? please don't as you will make every 400 owner on here cringe...

honda400ex2003
11-11-2010, 08:44 AM
yup, they may be just a touch on the soft side but they should be nice shocks to run. you will have to do a bit of adjusting to them as usual but i think you should be able to get them as you wish. steve

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Ha understandable.
I know theyre nothing a like and not quite what I meant.
I just get worried about pumping out alot of power like that.
But if i can build a reliable motor with a 440 or 460 im all ears.

Thanks Steve. I was thinking of sending them along with a rear stocker down to C&D or Gt Thunder.

honda400ex2003
11-11-2010, 09:08 AM
then you wont have any problem at all with 450r shocks lol you will love them after either one of them massage those babies for you :D steve

dirtrider77
11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
that flat black is badass

deff my next color

looks great keep the pics coming!

honda400ex2003
11-11-2010, 09:21 AM
460s can be reliable. you just have to keep them cool. scoops, fan, bigger tank, plumbing another line into the head to run cool oil up there, and a few other smaller things including wrapping your headers. it would be awesome to rip a 460 around the dunes! Get some hd head studs, temp gauge from xrs only, go with 11:1 comp on 105 octane would help to keep it a bit cooler. even 100 leaded air plane gas would work great to help it out. the 11:1 should have no trouble running that much octane and you can rest assured that it wont ping or anything. get a good stroker crank by hotrods or (JE im not sure if they make a crank or not) along with a quality piston. I know there is one crank that you have to run their piston with, i would shy away from doing that if possible. That may be the hotrods setup but i cant remember off hand right now. you will def be putting alot more money into a 460 than any other machine! even 440s arent that much more if you stay around 10-11 :1 comp. i know i will sound like a broken record here but the cheapest bang for your buck is either a 416 or 426 probably. that can just get bored and put in. I stayed away from going 426 recently when i got the 440 piston instead. I decided that it may create quite a bit more heat with such a thin wall on the sleeve. I guess ill find out next summer how my 416 compares to the 440, im hoping with scoops and proper jetting that it will not get any hotter than the 416 right now. I plan to take my 3 degree key out also and see how it does along with running both the 3 and 6 to see how it runs with those. just a few ideas of different setups for you.

for dune riding the 426 would probably be better imo. it is a quicker revving piston that would be beneficial in the dunes where not only the torque is important so is the mid when the drag from the sand really starts to bog it down. the 460 is a torque monster from what i have heard and not a real big player in the higher top end. yes theres no replacement for displacement cause it will def produce more hp than any of the others of the same mods but im just not sure a 460 would be at its peak in the dunes.

I dont know, it sounds like i contradict myself from above but im not because i still believe the 460 would be great in the dunes. And not having any test subjects for either one, i cant say that i know how either of them run, this is all based on what i have read over the years and found out from others riding the dunes, woods, and mx with their machines. steve

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Yea I would just stress all the time I think with a 460. Ive been researching for quite awhile now and I think the 426 will be a good/inexpensive way to go. And I suppose if I ever got bored I can experiment later on.

Now as far as carbs go, I know the fcr carbs are quite pricey. And I like the 450r one but with out ZRs adapter, how hard is it to actually install? Ive read all the install guides on the carb, all im asking is personal opinion from anyone thats done it on their 400.

They do have a beautiful 41mm FCR on JetsRUs..Ha and it only costs an arm and a leg.

honda400ex2003
11-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I am currently running a 05 450r carb with an adaptor i made myself but is almost identical to zr pilots. I am not sure if he made anymore or not but i have a scematic of dimensions needed to make one to adapt the 450r carb easily. I dont think i would waste any more $$ on a different carb. The 450 carb makes really good power for what it is. steve

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Yea theyre pretty cheap on ServiceHonda. The adapter is just so that the air intake boot will hook up to it right?

Is it possible to run the 450 boot and either run no airbox or cut an aluminum on larger?

Brad77
11-11-2010, 10:47 AM
The flat black looks killer! Keeps us updated on the progress !

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks Brad.

Just ordered some 2007 450r spindles and 2006 hubs.
Thanks to Wheelie for the idea.

89trx250r
11-11-2010, 04:51 PM
here ya go watch this video they do a nice build up and show why 440's can be quite a pain http://atvondemand.com/index.php?page=videos&section=featured&category=12&subcategory=1 watch the 400ex build up part 1,2,3

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Yea ive definitely heard alot of mixed reviews about the 440.
I think the 426 is calling my name.
But who knows.. Theres still time to change it i suppose ha.

Ive never done a build this big before, ive always started with a already stock quad. Never a frame up build.
Hopefully im not in over my head. Lol

Pipeless- Congrats on QOTM. Its nice to see an EX in there. It doesnt happen to often!

CJM
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
You can get the carb on with some pushing and prodding and perhaps boiling of the plastic boot inhot water (will soften it some).

I have an adapter b/c I was gonna do a 450r carb but its just not in plans right now.

bherriman
11-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Have you thought of doing a 416 with a +4mm crank? I belive this gets you to 440 cc's. You should be able to turn the crap outta that setup with no problems.

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Yea the only one I've seen is powrolls combo. If I went with hotrods crank, how hard is it to find a piston with a shorter skirt length?

CJM-If you ever want to get rid of it just shoot me a pm and we can talk there.

CJM
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
If I do ever part with it I will let you know.

I can provide the dimensions if you want one made too. I think its nothing more than aluminum.

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
That would be great.
When it comes time ill be sure to check with you.
I should have a couple friends that could machine it.
It looks farely simple.

Does anyone have any information on the sparks x4 Cam. I cant say that ive seen anyone on here using it. Im just curious if its worth the extra money with the hard faced rockers and valve spring kit needed to run it?

honda400ex2003
11-11-2010, 09:44 PM
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8742/spacerspecssheet.th.png (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/spacerspecssheet.png/)

i would say that the x4 is something pretty close to a stage 3 since the x1 is right between a stage 1 and 2. i wouldnt waste the money on getting the hard faced stuff with so many good cams around that are drop in. the hotcams are good depending, x1 is good from sparks also depending. it really depends on what you want to do and what comp you decide to go. steve

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Well back to my older post about pistons. If i went with the powroll 440 stroker set up its a 11.5:1 compression piston and with me riding 90% dunes, is the hotcams stage 3 something to look at or would the stage 2 fit me better?

And thanks for the dimensions Steve

honda400ex2003
11-11-2010, 09:52 PM
stage 3 would probably do a good job with the 11.5:1 in the dunes. that comp is def pushing the limits of 93 though so you will want to run a bit bigger duration cam anyway to help lower the dynamic comp ratio a bit. it will def be a great top end runner with some hard hitting mid, the stroker should help out with torque too :D will be a great setup imo. steve

BombSquadEx
11-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Would you think i would be safe to run a 50/50 mix of 100 pump octane and 93?

And should i even bother with the +3 timing key? Or just skip it? Definitely dont want to have to run anything of pump 100

IMSROLL450R
11-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks Brad.

Just ordered some 2007 450r spindles and 2006 hubs.
Thanks to Wheelie for the idea.

Why are you runnin 450r spindles??? Just wonderin.

Huge fan of the black looks great gonna be a cool build. I'm kinda doinn the same thing.

honda400ex2003
11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Would you think i would be safe to run a 50/50 mix of 100 pump octane and 93?

And should i even bother with the +3 timing key? Or just skip it? Definitely dont want to have to run anything of pump 100

it may have to run on mix but if you avoid the 3 degree you may get lucky with the stage 3 you are running. hard to say, each engine is a bit different in how they react and the heat they generate. check out some of wheelies stuff, he is running a 440 stroker in his i believe, see what compression he is running with the key and what octane he is running. I am not sure off hand. steve

BombSquadEx
11-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Yea I was hoping he would drop by and drop some knowledge on me but I might have to just PM him.

IMS- The geometry of the 450r spindle is almost/if not identical to the 400ex spindle, but it allows me to run a 450r brake and hub as well.

With the 450r hub, if I ever brake or strip a hub bolt I can just replace whichever one I broke, unlike the 400ex which you have to buy a new hub. Also ill be running the 450r brake caliper which is dual piston instead of single, so it will be nice having that extra stopping power.

And I seen your thread and your bike looks like its coming along great. Alot of great stuff on there.

Wheelie
11-14-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm running Powrolls stroker, they advertise it as 11.3:1 compression. I am also running a 4 degree advance key that I cut myself, the fuel combo I run is approx 102 octane. Zero pinging issues.

I recommend you go with the Stage 2 hotcam if the timing key and high octane fuel isn't an option. From my experience the Stage 3/450R carb combo sacrifices too much low-mid torque. However, that combo works great with the added timing, the timing brings back the lost low-mid torque while still allowing incredible top end power.

These engines respond very well to added timing.

Wheelie
11-14-2010, 09:41 AM
You'll love the R brakes. The spindles are identical.

Are you going to do the rear as well?

BombSquadEx
11-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Yea Im going to run the exact same setup as you have on yours.

Anything has to be better than the stockers.
Thanks for the reply wheelie.

With the +3 Key really differ from the +4?

Wheelie
11-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I doubt there would be a noticeable difference between the two. For most applications I think the 3 is the better choice. The +4 I'm running was something I tried to reduce mid range pinging I experienced while running Spark's +6 with my setup. It worked great, no power loss compared to the Sparks key and it eliminated the pinging.

BombSquadEx
11-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Wheelie how have you liked your stroker kit.
Anything I need to know about?
Any tips and tricks..

Wheelie
11-15-2010, 09:12 AM
The stroker has been running strong since April of 06'. I've been really happy with the setup, it's been very reliable and runs strong.

BombSquadEx
11-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Sorry to bump this thread up to the top with out any new pictures, but I didnt want to make a new one for the question I have.

I was looking into the oversize intake/exhaust valves and i was just wondering if they were worth it?

Ive ordered some stuff for the steering stem and controls so those should be in soon.

Ive got the hubs, spindles, and arms installed so Ill take some pictures soon.

Oh ive also planned out my whole engine setup.

-Cometic Complete Gasket Kit
-New internal bearings
-Powroll Stroker Crank with tough rod
-Powroll 87mm Stroker Piston
-Hinson Clutch Basket
-Sparks Racing Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
-Flywheel Lightened 12.5oz
-Moose 250w Stator
-Pro-x Camchain
-Powroll Oversized Valves
-Powroll Valve Spring Kit
-Hotcams Stage 3 Camshaft