PDA

View Full Version : common ltz upgrades

faster250x
11-10-2010, 08:14 PM
its my first time owning a ltz 400 and was hoping i could get schooled on some common ltz downfalls and ways to improve them

my friend said something about a aftermarket chain tensor that helps with enginee noise???

any help or notes thanked

711stretfighter
11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Common performance mods
-13 tooth front sprocket
-if its an 03 or 04 switch to 05-up ltz shocks or ltr shocks
-remove air box lid and rejet
-pipe, filter, jet kit

Mods for Reliability
- Manual Cam Chain Tensioner. The stock cam chain tensioner tends to stretch the chain. When you let off the throttle the cam chain slacks slightly and the automatic tensioner tightens. Because it uses a ratcheting action it will not allow that little bit of slack that it took up back making the chain to tight and causing it to stretch. A manual one keeps a constant tension on it and they last much longer but must be adjusted. The noise your friend was talking about was when the chain is stretched and in need of replacement.
-regular oil and air filter changes
-make sure you keep valve clearances in spec or risk cupped valves.
-Watch your drive chain alignment. if it comes off the front sprocket it can crack the right crankcase half.

Mine's an 03 and it just got it's first rebuild this month. I have never had any major issues with either of the 2 I have owned. They're pretty reliable with normal regular maintenance.

faster250x
11-11-2010, 06:17 PM
are the case savers a good investment to prevent the chain from cracking your case? just if something like that happened

for example http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Billet-Aluminum-Case-Saver-Suzuki-Z400-LTZ400-LTZ-400-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c117c60dcQQitemZ12055 2448220QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories