PDA

View Full Version : Hot start on an 07 trx carb?

Quad Dude
11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
is there any way to put hot start on 07 trx fcr carb? or did i pull a retard move and buy the wrong carb. cuz if i stall that beast it just dont wanna restart. and it did like the hot start before.

Scro
11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
The hole that the hotstart screws into is there. It just needs to be tapped. However, the hole that goes from the top of the carb through to the venturi has to be drilled out. I've seen the diagram somewhere that shows where to drill, but I can't recall where I saw it. You can also send it to any good engine builder (Baldwin, MXP) and they should be able to drill it for you.

leev26
11-13-2010, 01:16 AM
Their is a how-to over on 450r.org. I drilled mine out and it is nice to have. I used a mill with a vice that you can set at different angles to get it nice and precise. I wouldn't try it if you are going to be doing it by hand, not a ton of clearance.

bwilliams450er
11-13-2010, 07:37 AM
i've talked to several people that put a kicker on their 06+ electric start, and they said a hot start wasn't necessary. i'm looking to do the same thing this winter (add to a kicker). also talked to Baldwin about it and he said the hot start is kinda tricky to do and isn't very reliable or necessary. as long as the valves are in tolerance, should fire right up

Scro
11-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by bwilliams450er
i've talked to several people that put a kicker on their 06+ electric start, and they said a hot start wasn't necessary. i'm looking to do the same thing this winter (add to a kicker). also talked to Baldwin about it and he said the hot start is kinda tricky to do and isn't very reliable or necessary. as long as the valves are in tolerance, should fire right up

My personal experience is that it starts up just fine when cranking for the first time. But if ever stall it out in the middle of XC trail with someone behind you, you might as well push it over to the side of the trail and let them by. It's going to take atleast 15-20 kicks. 10 if you are lucky, and my valves have always been in spec. This was on my converted 06. On all my 04-05 with hotstart, they would fire up first or second kick after stalling.

The 06+ e-starts are the same way about cranking after stalling. It takes them a while to get going again. I honestly think a hotstart would help in this situation, too.

leev26
11-13-2010, 11:56 AM
That is the main reason that I added it to mine was for the mud races. I always keep my valves in spec as well and it would take 30-60 seconds at times when it got real hot. I am running the 24 volt/kicker combo and it does help now that I have the 24 volt. Scro would knnow way more than me on this but it seems like since I set my decompression up for the e-start, kicking it when it is really hot don't help much. Plus I'm usually pretty tired at that point!

I also ended up just ordering up another choke knob/plunger assembly for the hot start on the carb. Just grinded down the plastis knob so I can reach up there and pull it out then push it in when I get it strarted and rolling. Since I am pressure washing it a lot I was always having trouble keeping the cable lubed up and free.

bwilliams450er
11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Scro
My personal experience is that it starts up just fine when cranking for the first time. But if ever stall it out in the middle of XC trail with someone behind you, you might as well push it over to the side of the trail and let them by. It's going to take atleast 15-20 kicks. 10 if you are lucky, and my valves have always been in spec. This was on my converted 06. On all my 04-05 with hotstart, they would fire up first or second kick after stalling.

The 06+ e-starts are the same way about cranking after stalling. It takes them a while to get going again. I honestly think a hotstart would help in this situation, too.

In the event that i would stall it, i would use the e-start obviously. i have the 24v setup, and i might have to crank on it for a few seconds if it stalls when its hot, but it's not horrible. i sometimes think a hot start would be helpful in those situations too. only time i am looking to use the kicker is on the holeshot. can't beat starting a kicker in gear. already got that forward momentum, and you're thrusting down, helping it hook up.

mx Eli
11-19-2010, 08:08 AM
with my 07 it was an e-start and was converted to a kicker and if i stall it takes 20 seconds to start it again. if i stall my 04 with hot start ill hold the hot start and she fires right up first kick.

altho with my 07 has a built motor with 13.5:1 comp and im 140 pounds so it doesnt help:devil: :devil: