PDA

View Full Version : 2008 450er

dualincome
11-10-2010, 05:37 AM
I notice that there are a number of new 2008 450 er atv's for sale at dealers. Did honda just release some old stock. Are there any problems with these quads. Would it make a good starting point for an entry level race quad. I am alos thinking of a 2010 yamaha 450r . What would be the better choice

dran714
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
no there isnt any thing "wrong" with the new 450's but id try to find a kicker model the e-start is kinda tempermental.. and as far as for racing yes you can buy a yamaha thats already 50 inches wide and newer technology but your gonna pay for it! ive heard of guys getting deals on new old honda's for $3999 out the door! then spend a couple grand and you have a very capable race quad thats dialed in for your set-up and style.. either way you cant go wrong but im a honda guy ride red!

notsolow400ex
11-10-2010, 07:13 PM
I got mine a month ago and so far am happy with it. i have less then 10 hrs on it. im a new rider and a bigger guy so im not into raceing just trail riding and playin around. it seams to have good power but you can just tell it needs opened up. im ready for a pipe and jet the carb and open the air box.

dran714 why do you say they are tempermental????

MX450
11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
I would agree try and find a kick start model. I have never been a fan of estart more stuff to go wrong, battery to go dead ect. but that is preference. i think the reason you are seeing so many pop up is because nobody local to the dealers are buying them so they are cutting prices and putting them on ebay to move them. great time to buy a new unit if you are looking for one.

as far as the yam goes, personally i like hondas better, much easier to work on and simpler machine. again that is preferance. another thing to think about is how much money are u planning on spending? The honda is a GREAT platform to build off of, but for mx racing the stock stuff just dont cut it. your gonna need long travel arms, shocks, swingarm ect to really get it to handle nice. the yam is already wider so that is a plus but i dont know too much abt them, but i would take a built honda over a built yam ANY day of the week. really comes down to budget

dran714
11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
hey notsoslow.. like mx said batteries are tiny and notorious for going dead, the starter one way clutches go bad but im not gonna lie i hate kicking mine sometimes! u can add a kicker and have both! but it cost's.. later D.