PDA

View Full Version : Still won't start? Please Help

12-01-2001, 11:05 AM
I have now cleaned the carb, replaced air filter, charged battery, replaced the spark plug this bike (400EX) still won't start. It turns and turns and still no start. If I jam the choke all the way on, idle all the way on, keep throttle constantly going it will start, but if I do one of the following it cuts off right away:

1. stop giving it gas
2. Turn choke down 1 notch (while still giving it gas)

Please give me more help and possible directions to explore. I appreciate all the previous responses.

Thanks

buckeye400ex
12-01-2001, 12:42 PM
This doesn't seem to match your problem since it will start with choking it. But... I did have a problem that sounds similar, my quad would not start at all. I ended up taking it to the shop and they said the coil was dirty. The coil is up under the gas tank on the left side. They cleaned it and it has ran fine since. I also put some liquid electric tape on the connections to keep them clean.
Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Dave400ex
12-01-2001, 02:52 PM
Mine`s like that too. It`s brand new though. Mine won`t start because it`s cold here. If it`s warm it starts just fine. Maybe you should run the full choke a little bit and then go down to half way. Once mine is good and warmed up, it`s fine. It just won`t start worth crap in the cold.

BANSHEEadam
12-01-2001, 03:17 PM
Yes, I'd say the coil would be a good place to start looking for a problem. It is kicking over, right? It just doesn't keep running? Mine had a similar problem, but it wouldn't even kick over. I ended up having to replace my CDI box. They said the way the kill switch was hooked up was bad for it or some crap like that, so I took it off. Anyway, I doubt if the CDI is your problem since it is kicking over.

Tommy 17
12-01-2001, 03:46 PM
check ur breather hose on top of ur gas cap.
check ur spark plug.
check ur the fuel line that runs to the carb to see if its gettin gas or enouf gas.
check ur air filter is it clean.
check ur carb jetting.

i dunno what else to tell ya man good luck and i hope all goes well... hope i helped some.

12-01-2001, 05:10 PM
Sounds like you have fuel flow problems.Pull the fuel line off the carb and open the petcock to make sure you have flow to the carb.(catch the gas in a safe container so you don't burn down the garage).If fuel flow is okay and not just a trickle, make sure your float is not stuck and is set correctly.Hondas' shop manual shows you the best/easiest way. Don't play with your idle screw cause you'll just push the slide up and down which is what you're doing with the throttle anyway.You might also try removeing your gas cap when checking for flow to make sure the cap vent is clear.Hope you get it going-post your results.

12-01-2001, 09:51 PM
I didn't see your other 'starting' posts, so I don't hope I repeat anything that you've already heard.

I'm not sure if the quad is new or not. Assuming its new, 400ex's are a bear to start when new (especially if its cold out). A lot of fiddling is necessary.

With that said, whether the quad is new or not, Honda jets these machines lean (even says so in the owner's manual).

You need to make a simple adjustment, this should help with your problem (or a least eliminate it from your possible causes list!). You need to adjust your air/fuel mixture screw it 1/2 to 1 turns out. Turning out the air/fuel mixture screw will richen the idle curcuit. Its located under your carb, directly in front of the floatbowl (you'll have to look closely, it's tucked under there pretty good). Don't mix it up with the idle adjustment (like the other guy said), leave that alone.

ogre