PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Basket

bherriman
11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Before I get started lets clarify a few things:

I DO NOT care if you think a modded 400ex can't keep up with a stock 450.

I DO NOT care if you think 400ex's have lifters and push rods.

I DO NOT care if run the 1/8th mile faster than the speed of light and you make 60 HP on NOS.

I DO NOT care if you are the best rider/smartest dude on this forum.

Do me a favor and don't reply to this thread. I'll just request a Mod. to lock/delete it.

I replaced my clutch earlier this summer and noticed my basket had some slight play in it. I've rode it all summer without any issue, but as i will be tearing down this winter anyways I am wondering which route to go. A new basket is in the $200 -$300 range. A new bearing ( #19) and guide ( #4) will be approx. $40 after my discount. Has anyone replaced this bearing or is a complete new basket the way to go? I hate to throw away a perfectly good basket just because of a bearing. If I weren't in college full time and could work more than 30 hours a week I'd just spring for the basket.

CJM
11-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I never did it, but I think replacing the bearing and guide would be my first step before a basket. Slap it back together and check for the play then-still play then a basket.

At least thats how I would do it. Cheapest route to fix it first.

honda400ex2003
11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
x2 never hurts to try out a bearing before buying a $250+ basket. you may even be able to get the bearing at an auto place if you can get it out and take it in. it would probably be cheaper than ordering just the bearing with shipping and such if the guide doesnt look bad once you get it apart. try to spec it out if possible. the manual may have tolerances for that part in it to see if it is still usable or not. steve

bherriman
11-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys I was leaning towards the bearing anyway, just thought i would ask. I'll probably order from the local honda shop, we've bought a crf 250r, a 450r, and our plowin machine 400 rancher from them so we get a nice discount and all Honda parts are next day.

Pipeless416
11-09-2010, 10:35 AM
my guess is with yours and it's most likely the bearing, however if you do end up wanting to replace the basket because of grooving, look into a performance engineering billet basket. it's the same material and almost the same exact design as the hinson, and i got mine for $130. two years of abuse, and absolutely no wear.

bherriman
11-09-2010, 08:27 PM
The surface of the basket seemed to be fine, but I will check into them. Thanks for the info, thats the cheapest basket I have heard of.