PDA

View Full Version : new project

thequadfather+2
11-08-2010, 08:02 PM
just finished up our cobra we bought while we were at Loretta's back in August. Just kinda been tinkering with it for a while. Brandon Tittle powder coated it for us and pointed me in the right direction for a few things that needed attention. now we just need a little motor work and we will be ready.

Decided to paint the plastic rather than buy new right now, graphics kit will be next along with powder coating the nerfs.

thequadfather+2
11-08-2010, 08:08 PM
pic

thequadfather+2
11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
pic2

thequadfather+2
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
pic3

TRI-Z3
11-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Looks great! your rider is going to love that quad! and working with Brandons help you should run pretty trouble free and fast!!

heathmxracing
11-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Sweet!!!

Did you buy that from Adein Blades #70?

travis rimmer
11-09-2010, 04:44 PM
u did a heck off a job that thing looks sick just courios in the first pick the quad looks good coming down that hill how good did it go up:eek2: :eek2: we would have had to pull ours with a truck over that jump with the 75 w,m motor we was running that thing was a dog im glad we switched up lol thats a really awesome looking ride though great job see u guys at the races:D

thequadfather+2
11-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by heathmxracing
Sweet!!!

Did you buy that from Adein Blades #70?

Yes sir we did.....Took it down to the frame and started over. He must have rode the crap out of that thing. It needed a bunch of attention.

I havent got the motor figured out...Has absolutely no bottom end but hits pretty good in the mid range then runs out of the power band quickly. Its geared 14-45, even tried the 12 up front.

I guess we will be pulling it and getting some work done. It had 90 psi compression, put a new piston/ring in it but the compression was still only 90.

Really like the quad, just gotta get the motor dialed in.

heathmxracing
11-10-2010, 08:18 AM
It was one of the original Cobra's. He had that thing for a long time, probably 06?

Paul Marra at Wiley Mods built his engines. However, the guy you bought it from use to work at a Honda Dealership and liked to "tinker" with things on his own, and couldn't leave it alone. If you can't get it figured out I would get ahold of Paul. Those engines should run very strong.

Ryko racing
11-10-2010, 08:28 AM
I agree with John Heath. We had Paul build us our first Cobra in 2007 it was a 75 and we ran it in 90 production at the Nats.

It was very very strong......

Alex szymborski had the fastest 70 single speed in the country and at Walnut in 2007 in the 90 class he drove right past Alexs'
rocketship on the straights..

90 psi is way off.

Call Paul, he knows how to tune that thing to rip.

edwardsp&b
11-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Hey man,
that looks killer! How is the paint holding up? Thats probably what we are going to do too. The Cobra plastics are more rigid (after fenders are cut) than most quads. I want to paint ours here at the shop, but I dont want it to be cracking and chipping after a few races. Looks good though Bruce!

BTW Yall going to be a monster mountain on the 20th right?

Bryan

thequadfather+2
11-10-2010, 09:22 AM
The paint is holding up so far, hope the graphics kit helps protect it better. The yellow plastic was in bad shape so thats why we decided to paint rather than buy for now. If it holds up well we may stay with painted plastic for a while.

Travis, our motor is like yours. The thing wont even get out of its own way. It sounds good and hits pretty good after about 50 feet but wont spin the tires in loose gravel from a dead stop out to about 50 feet. I may try to get some video of it and post it here. Maybe John or some of the other Cobra guru's can help figure out what the problem is.

thequadfather+2
11-10-2010, 10:03 AM
"first you need to get the compression up.

then it sounds like the clutch is not set up correctly.

What clutch do you run??

We ran a Tomar as the maintenece was less. But the 3 shoe comes off the gate better."

Ryko, we run the three shoe clutch. The clutch looks like its in good shape. I inspected it and changed the fluid. It's not slipping or it doesnt sound like it is slipping anyway. I checked the slipper clutch and it was between 55-60.

The motor sounds like it bogs or cant produce enough rpms or power until it gets to a certain point then it hits. The plug looks good, the exhaust is solid with no leaks (stock pipe).

Squish was .060 with a gasket, a base spacer and another gasket. I took one gasket out and got the squish down to about .040......

As far as the compression, I dont know how to get it up any more. It has a new piston and ring. The cylinder looks great.

heathmxracing
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
The squish should be .028" - .030", if the piston has been changed, chances are that it's not the right one.

Also, the bog your describing on bottom end is more than likely due the the clutch engaging too early. If the clutch engages too soon it will not allow the engine to build enough RPMs. An aftermarket pipe will also help broaden the powerband.

Hope this helps. Once you get it figured out it's much easier to tune than the CVTs.

thequadfather+2
11-10-2010, 05:06 PM
It may be one of your old motors. It has Heath stamped on the case right behind the kicker. Wiley is stamped on the cylinder.

I called Paul about a week ago and couldnt get any information about what piston I needed to freshen up the top end. I put a new version of what came out of it which was the Athena flat top piston. The previous owner could have did that. That would explain .060 on the squish. It may not be the one Paul put in it but its not practical to pull the motor and send it off everytime I want to freshen it up. I need a motor that I can call the builder and get them to send me the stuff to freshen it up a few times each year. I dont blame Paul for wanting me to send in the motor but its just not practicle for me to do that everytime.

No grief here though. I like the quad and have enjoyed building it. We want to put a 50 motor in it some time after christmas and run 50 senior this year at the nats. I would like to get this motor going for local and regional stuff.

Thanks for the help, still learning this machine. Looking forward to dialing it in.

qcitytile
11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
sounds like clutch issue to me. My brother bought one last year and had same issue. Put new clutch in and it hooked up like crazy. He has gotten really good with these single speeds if you want I could give you his number he could help figure it out. Let me know

Yuk33
11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Is this a 70 ? If so, you must do more research, the piston can be found. I have two Wiley cylinders, both perform great. What oil are you using for the Tomar ? Thick oil could cause the sluggishness.

thequadfather+2
11-12-2010, 07:19 AM
not a Tomar, it has a three shoe. I really dont think its the clutch. It has 90-95 pounds of compression with a new piston and not enough squish. I think thats where the problem starts, although I need to learn the fine arts of tunning this clutch.

qcitytile, thanks for the offer. Will you guys be back at the nats next year? noticed yall were selling some stuff.

Ryko racing
11-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree with Mr Heath.

if you dont have compression you must fix that first.
once you get the correct piston and get the squish set then you need to set the stacks on the clutch.

We ran a tomar as 3 yrs ago it was the best and required little to no tuning once it was set.

Before you get lost call Paul or John Heath, they're successful with these because they have it nailed.
Plus they are good to deal with.

thequadfather+2
11-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I know its going to be a good quad when I get it woked out, this is just all part of it I guess.

I did shoot a little video, not much but atleast you can hear it. When he launches the first time he lets out right when it starts to hit. The second time it hits about 50-60 feet from where it launches and again the third time. This is just so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qsk2nMNKO8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qsk2nMNKO8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

qcitytile
11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes we will be running some nationals. We put a manual clutch on the cobra and Dalton took to it so well. He was outrunning some 150's and 200 and 300's. So were going a different route this year. Him switching back and fourth between the cvt and cobra was becoming a conflict. They ride so much different. It was either keep the cobra or the cvt and I think we made the smart decision. Hopefully LOL Hope to see you guy's at some nationals

thequadfather+2
11-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Thats great to hear, glad he is liking it. Our youngest one is going to try and run 50 cvt and 50 senior. We did away with the foot brake and went with hand brakes like the DRR trying to keep from having the difference in the brakes of those two machines.

qcitytile
11-13-2010, 09:38 PM
did you paint the plastics your self? Looks good what kind of paint did you use?

thequadfather+2
11-14-2010, 03:08 PM
yes, my father-in-law painted it. He builds street rods and has a pretty dang nice machine shop at home. Thats where I do most of the work. He didnt do anything special. We cleaned on it for about 2 days before spraying the plastic. Some guys are having success using the same stuff used to paint plastic bumpers and stuff. It's supposed to be more flexible. EdwardsP&B is a body man, Bryan probably knows the best stuff out there to hit plastic with. So far ours is holding up just fine. I think it's going to be better when we get the graphics on it.

edwardsp&b
11-15-2010, 06:25 AM
It's a flex additive, and it works real well. My only concern is after a few races, the clear will start chipping off on the corners. Im a freak about how our bikes look, so that would drive me crazy.

But........... since I cant get any plastic color options, I think I will paint mine also. Bruce, yall gonna show up to monster mt. sat?
Bryan

jerkyboy
11-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey Bryan You saw Dales plastics they held up real well and this was the second season on them.

thequadfather+2
11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
no monster mountain for us, the boys will be gone to Gatlinburg this coming weekend. Got to keep the woman of the house happy because Feb 26/27 will be here before you know it.:D

Sure honey do what ever you want....

edwardsp&b
11-16-2010, 06:27 AM
Awww....cmon Bruce! You've got to sell it to your wife better than that! LOL "Sure honey, do whatever you want! I'll even take the kids off your hands for a day!" Works everytime!!!!

Raven, I didnt know that Dales plastics were painted......Shows how much of a paint and body man that I am. Was it the black? If so it looked good, so much so that I didnt notice.

Bryan

jr1975atv
11-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Did you get it figured out? Post another video when you get it fixed please

thequadfather+2
11-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Not worked out yet. I have talked with Paul at Wiley mods and he is going to take the motor and look it over, check it out and put the right piston in it. It should be good then and I will get another vid of it when we get it back.

thequadfather+2
02-05-2011, 10:29 AM
I sent the motor back to Paul and he got it worked out. We havent had time to ride it much, infact this was the frist time it has been raced since we built it. The swing arm bolt broke and we didnt get to finish the race on it but it was running strong. In this video it comes out of the gate with a pack of built Malossi 90 CVT's and goes into the whoops in 3rd place.....not too bad considering it was geared wrong and the clutch still needs work. I re-used the same bolt when we built it...should have just put a new one in. I replaced everything else with new stuff except that bolt..go figure:rolleyes:

My two kids are on the black DRR's and a friends kid was on our Cobra. I just wanted post up that we got it worked out and Pauls motor runs really well. Thanks.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKq7ARR2zxU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKq7ARR2zxU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

pmarra
02-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Ha Bruce glad to see you got it working good Paul

Ryko racing
02-07-2011, 07:01 AM
AWESOME. PAULS A GREAT GUY AND WILL HELP YOU OUT ANYTIME.

GOOD LUCK.......

Ryko racing
02-07-2011, 07:07 AM
IF YOU WANT A 50 MOTOR TROY SZYMBORSKI HAS ALEXS NAT # 1 STUFFER MOTOR ON A SHELF.

IT IS FAST AND RELIBLE GIVE HIM A CALL 517-749-1766.