PDA

View Full Version : help, not getting any gas

moshachusetts
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Out of nowhere, my bike wouldn’t run anymore. It was fine a couple weeks ago but when I went to start it recently it ran for a few minutes and then died. I took the tank off and saw that it wasn’t getting any gas at all. Took the carb off and cleaned the jets and what ever else I could get to without screwing anything up and put it back and still not getting gas. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

see picture

pmg8134
11-08-2010, 11:55 AM
you pull the petcock off the tank and blow out that filter?

rubbersdown
11-08-2010, 12:02 PM
my guess is gas is not getting into the bowl. Pull your fuel line and make sure gas is coming out of the petcock, if not then do what the guy above me said. If gas is coming out of the pet cock then hook it back up and unscrew the drain for the bowl. If no fuels coming out (which is my guess) then your float valve is stuck. Float valve is what the float itself is attached to at the top. You can take it out and soak it in clean fuel and diddle it a little and try to get it to free up but it may be best to just buy a new one.
float valve looks like this... http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:UUQs0Lwnb2mv2M:/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/Dave_ett/NSR250/Floatvalve.jpg&sa=X&ei=40jYTImIMIyWsgOv3bCQCw&ved=0CAUQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNF10xDHx2OkQSeBycvxbLe86-qXGw&t=1

CJM
11-08-2010, 12:16 PM
do the simplest thing first. Swap to reserve and see if it runs-you would be surprised but it happens.

pmg8134
11-08-2010, 12:28 PM
so true... worked yesterday for me... what`s the deal with reserve? why does that make a difference? sorry to be off topic.. just curious

CJM
11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
^ when the main tank gets all used up the rest of the gas is in another area of the tank, flipping the valve and it draws from the reserve.

Kinda like those splitters for your hose spicket where you can select which way you want it to go.

I had an issue on sunday, was cold and im jetted for for about 80F outside, it was 50F or so and it was lean and ATE gas, in 5 hours I was out of my main tank and it was nearly spilling out full when I filled it.

pmg8134
11-08-2010, 01:05 PM
makes sense thanks for the info.... can you make up for the difference in temp`s with fuel screw adjusts?

CJM
11-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by pmg8134
makes sense thanks for the info.... can you make up for the difference in temp`s with fuel screw adjusts?

Possibly, I just let it be cause Im gonna ride maybe once more (its WAY to cold!) and Ill ride again in the spring. Nows the time to work on her and put more fun parts on.

moshachusetts
11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
petcock is fine and fuel is coming out the bowl drain.

whats next to check? i was wondering about the air valve? or does it even have an accelerator pump?

rubbersdown
11-09-2010, 12:48 AM
you sure its a fuel problem? checked for spark? spray some carb cleaner or something in threw the intake of the carb while cranking it over and see if it fires.

moshachusetts
11-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by rubbersdown
you sure its a fuel problem? checked for spark? spray some carb cleaner or something in threw the intake of the carb while cranking it over and see if it fires.

its getting spark. but i can pyhsically see that no gas is squirting out of the jet in the first picture when the throttle is pressed

rubbersdown
11-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by moshachusetts
its getting spark. but i can pyhsically see that no gas is squirting out of the jet in the first picture when the throttle is pressed

Ok then if thats the case I am going to guess you have a combination of problems. If you pump the throttle and get no fuel squirting into your cylinder then your accelerator pump is bad. BUT your bike should still run without the accelerator pump because all the AP does is add extra fuel on hard acceleration to prevent detonation and engine stumbling. If your bike wont even start im going to assume you have a clogged pilot jet also, Did you take it apart and clean the pilot? If so it may still be clogged, those *******s have some very tiny holes in em and its usually better just to replace them.