PDA

View Full Version : Starter Clutch Replacement

kono993
11-08-2010, 10:36 AM
ok i bought a 2006 trx450er about a year ago and it has been a pain to start it when it gets cold out so im guesing the starter clutch is beat.
what do i need to do to replace it?
i heard of a recall but is it still going on?

Scro
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
The starter clutch going out would not cause hard starting in the cold. When it's going out, the starter will spin when you hit the button, but the motor won't turn over. In some rare cases, the starter clutch will lock up, causing the starter to spin when the motor is running (even without pressing the start button). I would start by checking your valves.

The recall is long over, but I would still talk with your dealer. They may be able to help you out with pricing since there was a recall on it.

kono993
11-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Scro
The starter clutch going out would not cause hard starting in the cold. When it's going out, the starter will spin when you hit the button, but the motor won't turn over. In some rare cases, the starter clutch will lock up, causing the starter to spin when the motor is running (even without pressing the start button). I would start by checking your valves.

The recall is long over, but I would still talk with your dealer. They may be able to help you out with pricing since there was a recall on it.
thae valves are in spec im 100% sure of that but when i try to start it it will turn over for a sec and then let go and you hear the starter motor just spin.

Scro
11-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by kono993
thae valves are in spec im 100% sure of that but when i try to start it it will turn over for a sec and then let go and you hear the starter motor just spin.

That's definitely the starter clutch. It makes since that it's doing it when cold. When it's hot, it expands and has a better bite. I would give your dealer a call.

kono993
11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
That's definitely the starter clutch. It makes since that it's doing it when cold. When it's hot, it expands and has a better bite. I would give your dealer a call.
you think i would be better off calling them or just ordering the parts i need?

Scro
11-10-2010, 10:54 AM
I've heard of people talking with their dealer, and even though the recall has expired, they helped them with the price of the parts. Just let them know of the situation. If they're not willing to help, you still have to order the parts anyway.

kono993
11-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I've heard of people talking with their dealer, and even though the recall has expired, they helped them with the price of the parts. Just let them know of the situation. If they're not willing to help, you still have to order the parts anyway.
ok ill just bring it to place i bought it from and see what they say. thanks scro!