PDA

View Full Version : Weight differences between the years

snacob14
11-08-2010, 07:52 AM
what makes the 88 and up 25lbs lighter than the 86's?

SilverLake250R
11-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Aluminum swingarm is a big part of it, but the frame was also lighter.

slamdak8782
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Front hubs on the newer ones are aluminum vs steel on the older ones as well

fearlessfred
11-08-2010, 10:09 PM
i was thinking it was 17 pounds difference. the rear motor mounts were changed to a single bolt going thru the frame,the front a arms were lightened by making the balljoint part of the a arm. i will think of more changes

wild250rman
11-08-2010, 11:54 PM
lighter wheels, foot pegs, spindles, a-arms, frame, swing-arm, headlight, bumper,swing-arm mounting maybe more such as rear grab bar, tool box. has anyone ever noticed the differences between the 86 250"R" in the Honda brochure and the actual production quad?

fearlessfred
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
the weight difference was very noticable to me i bought one of the first 88s in vegas and was thrilled with it.this quad in stock form would wheelie everywere.never had so much as when got my first 88 (i think i owned four 88s and one 89 )

machwon
11-11-2010, 04:11 AM
According to what I have, some other items were radiator was thinner I think, footpegs mount to the frame no mounting brackets, no rear engine mount bracket, engine belly guard was plastic not aluminum, rear grab bar, seat block, fender catch and toolbox were all lighter, headlight mounted in the plastic, brake pedal trimmed, wheel thickness decreased, no more rear axle spacers and a few unecessary brackets and plastic pieces were eliminated. The swingarm was 4.5 lbs lighter and the total was claimed to be 18 lbs in my information.

It took many changes to get to the 20 lb weight reduction. IMO with the thicker seat foam, shorter swingarm, weigh reductions, handling/suspension tweaks, all the changes made the 88's feel like a cadillac compared to the earlier years in stock form.

machwon
11-11-2010, 04:12 AM
According to what I have, some other items were radiator was thinner I think, footpegs mount to the frame no mounting brackets, no rear engine mount bracket, engine belly guard was plastic not aluminum, rear grab bar, seat block, fender catch and toolbox were all lighter, headlight mounted in the plastic, brake pedal trimmed, wheel thickness decreased, no more rear axle spacers and a few unecessary brackets and plastic pieces were eliminated. The swingarm was 4.5 lbs lighter and the total was claimed to be 18 lbs in my information.

It took many changes to get to the 20 lb weight reduction. IMO with the thicker seat foam, shorter swingarm, weigh reductions, handling/suspension tweaks, all the changes made the 88's feel like a cadillac compared to the earlier years in stock form.

11-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by slamdak8782
Front hubs on the newer ones are aluminum vs steel on the older ones as well

Lol. All front hubs were aluminum.