PDA

View Full Version : rev limiter Q

CJM
11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
So I went riding today and cant for the life of me understand wtf is with the rev limiter.

It maxs out 1st and 2nd horribly for some reason, my specs are in my sig. The EX was jetted when it was 80F outside and last time I rode it was about 60F or so outside.

Today it never got above 50F Im pretty sure. I had plenty of power, it just seemed I was bouncing off the rev limiter in those 2 gears very easily compared to about 2 weeks ago when I went riding.

Could the cold cause it? About the only other thing I can think of is the idle adjustment is a little bit off, I think I might have busted it awhile back cause adjusting it doesnt do much. Maybe need to adjust where the throttle cable?

IDK im just stumped..

honda400ex2003
11-07-2010, 07:15 PM
imo a change in temps of that much could def be felt and will make it run leaner. I think you are leaning it out just enough to make it run really good at that temp causing it to rev faster and thus making it feel different. I would say that if you are jetted for 80 you should be richening by 2-3 jet sizes @ 20 or 30 degrees less which would lean it by that much if you dont compensate for it. steve

CJM
11-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I kinda figured that steve, just had me worried cause it revved so much quicker it was nuts.

I barely had the throttle into it and it would max the limiter.

honda400ex2003
11-07-2010, 08:00 PM
it is fun isnt it. thats how mine feels almost every day if i mess with it a bit. It just depends on if i wanna switch to the right jet or not. lol I leave the 168 in there most of the time and occasionally put the 162 in when it is 80 or so out and rip. Now that i have a 165 that will stay in all summer and i wont have to mess with it anymore lol it will be much more of an all around jet than teh 162 or the 168. the 168 is perfect around 40 degrees-50 degrees cause thats the temps it was outside when i tuned it on the dyno. lol steve

CJM
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
In all honesty about 60F+ outside it runs great and I (obligatory) can keep up with the 450s. Just was cold as heck today and shocked me I kept bouncing off the limiter.

I wish I had jetted it when it was 70F outside, probably woulda been a good all around setting.

honda400ex2003
11-07-2010, 10:36 PM
go up one more size on the main and it would be good to go imo. steve

CJM
11-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I might change it, might leave it. Im probably only gonna ride 1 more time since its to cold.

It had to be lean, cause thinking on it it ate gas like crazy lol.. 5 hours and I blew thru the tank pretty much and was on reserve.

416racer
11-08-2010, 02:22 PM
If it was lean wouldnt the gas last longer? Mine will use alittle over a gallon an hour.

CJM
11-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by 416racer
If it was lean wouldnt the gas last longer? Mine will use alittle over a gallon an hour.

True, but then again lean=more power due to more air, cold air is denser-more power. Thus more gas burned.

It wasnt rich, I woulda smelled it and seen it thru the exhaust.

bherriman
11-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
True, but then again lean=more power due to more air, cold air is denser-more power. Thus more gas burned.

It wasnt rich, I woulda smelled it and seen it thru the exhaust.

It would use less gas being lean. Yes, a slightly lean condition would yeild better power, but it would not use more gas. The main jet will only allow so much fuel to pass, no matter how much or how dense the air.

CJM
11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Then how possibly could it have been rich? If anything it was colder so if I rejet I need to go up not down.

It just baffles me cause I used an insane amount of gas and I kept hitting the rev limiter. No other changes had been made since I rode about 3 weeks ago except the temps.

Only other thought is perhaps cause I was hitting the limiter so much it was using more gas.

bherriman
11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
Only other thought is perhaps cause I was hitting the limiter so much it was using more gas. [/QUOTE

Thats my guess, the harder you turn it, the more fuel its gonna use. 5 hours of riding isn't horribly bad on one tank IMO.

CJM
11-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by bherriman
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
Only other thought is perhaps cause I was hitting the limiter so much it was using more gas. [/QUOTE

Thats my guess, the harder you turn it, the more fuel its gonna use. 5 hours of riding isn't horribly bad on one tank IMO.

Well compare this to last time I rode when it was 60F I barely used a half a tank.

I wish I was better with carbs, I hate adjusting them. Now only if they made fuel injection, that I can map believe it or not.

bherriman
11-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Well compare this to last time I rode when it was 60F I barely used a half a tank.

I wish I was better with carbs, I hate adjusting them. Now only if they made fuel injection, that I can map believe it or not.

There are too many factors in fuel consumption to determine actual fuel usage in only two rides. You could have rode harder, more miles, or idled around more often Your second ride compared to your first or vice versa. When you are only dealing with 2. some odd gallons any small change in the type of riding or distance would make a noticeable change in fuel consumption. I think you would have needed to average out 5 or 6 rides at the warmer temps compared to 5 or 6 rides now to even get a vauge idea.

CJM
11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bherriman
There are too many factors in fuel consumption to determine actual fuel usage in only two rides. You could have rode harder, more miles, or idled around more often Your second ride compared to your first or vice versa. When you are only dealing with 2. some odd gallons any small change in the type of riding or distance would make a noticeable change in fuel consumption. I think you would have needed to average out 5 or 6 rides at the warmer temps compared to 5 or 6 rides now to even get a vauge idea.

Probably so, just shocked me that it used so much vs the last time.

Im just happy it runs good lol, thats the problem with any toy, be it a car, bike, atv, boat, etc. It usually seems more times spent fixing the damn thing than using it

f4iracer
11-08-2010, 06:34 PM
5 hours and i'm out gas dudes!

i don't know how you guys ride, but i'll burn 3 gallons on a day at the trails.

your 400ex won't hang with the 450's.

I can't believe this guy said he kept bouncing off the rev limiter. SHIFT THE THING DUDE,

400ex's don't rev that quick if you know what you're doing. haha you shouldn't ever be bouncing off the rev limiter, tehre's no power up there anyway.

CJM
11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
^ I had a long response typed, but Ill save it for this little bit.

Yes my quads fast, I have no problems keeping up with stock to semi modded 450s. How do I know this, I raced them flat out and kept up fine. A good rider with the right setup will be able to keep up. Maybe if they had bore jobs or high compression I couldnt keep it but I didnt seem to have an issues

As for shifting, kinda hard in my case b/c due to how fast mine revs period 2nd isnt really usable since I need to change my sprockets. Also for the terrain 3rd is to low and 2nd is to high for most of it, your constantly in and out-the 450r guys had the same issue but didnt hit the limiter as much.

Anyways I wont go on, im sick of your stupid kiddie comments man. I might not be the best quad mechanic but I aint stupid and I know what my machine will do.

Now do us all a favor and shut your stupid piehole, cause apparently you have a big mouth. How old are ya anyways, like 14-18 years old? Been riding for years and years I bet, so forth..

honda400ex2003
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Anyways I wont go on, im sick of your stupid kiddie comments man. I might not be the best quad mechanic but I aint stupid and I know what my machine will do.

Now do us all a favor and shut your stupid piehole, cause apparently you have a big mouth. How old are ya anyways, like 14-18 years old? Been riding for years and years I bet, so forth..

x2 dont worry CJM he obiously doesnt know what a properly tuned 416 will do. oh well, im staying out of the situation...

not involved or subscribed anymore,
steve

bherriman
11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
See what happens when I try and give some advice on a topic? It seems this follows me everywhere. I'm out.

CJM
11-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Im sorry guys, im just sick of the bs.

I have a new rule, unless you got one dont chime in on what it can and cant do.