PDA

View Full Version : do they make fox no link shocks?

800screws
11-07-2010, 04:21 PM
anyone know?

Honda 250r 001
11-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Im not sure on this, but i thought fox didnt make an air rear shock period. for anything. I thought they were all spring type shocks. Maybe im wrong. But ive never seen a rear air shock.

brokenbones
11-07-2010, 05:31 PM
no they dont, and they wont. I have a very good friend who ran floats on his protrax and fox refused to make a no link shock for his lsr frame.

this was confirmed as of the end of the season unless they changed there mind in the last few weeks.

my 2 cents

derby
11-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by brokenbones
no they dont, and they wont. I have a very good friend who ran floats on his protrax and fox refused to make a no link shock for his lsr frame.

this was confirmed as of the end of the season unless they changed there mind in the last few weeks.

my 2 cents

You can get a fox podium in no-link.

D Bergstrom
11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by derby
You can get a fox podium in no-link.

Not directly from Fox, I have been told the same info as brokenbones about Fox, they will not do anything special. They mass produce stuff, nothing custom about their operation. Fox does not make any shocks at all for the 250R to my knowledge, pretty sure all the Evols you see are actually 450R shocks.

The Polaris no-link setup uses a Fox Podium shock if I remember correctly, probably what you are refering to. Who knows if it will work on anything 250R based, guess you would have to find one and do some measuring. Plus I don't know if it as all the adjustments the aftermarket Podiums do.

Doug

troybilt
11-08-2010, 07:22 AM
KTM runs a no link setup. I don't know the length... I can find out. I also don't know if Fox makes a podium for the KTM either...

Why FOX for rear? ...just to have one brand of shocks? I can understand that. My only thoughts there, if FOX doesn't directly make one you're probably not going to get as good of a shock like you would from someone that knows the 250r no-link rear end, etc... PEP, Axis, etc...

dustin_j
11-08-2010, 07:58 AM
If you go through a suspension builder (M@ul Tech ATV or GT Thunder), they can get any shock length, build, etc. you want. Fox won't have the build specs, but that's where the builder comes in.

ZSK
11-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I have two different Fox No Link shocks on quads at home, I'll get some measurements for anyone interested.

D Bergstrom
11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
If you go through a suspension builder (M@ul Tech ATV or GT Thunder), they can get any shock length, build, etc. you want. Fox won't have the build specs, but that's where the builder comes in.

I don’t even think this will work. Per a conversation I had with a suspension builder, the only way to get Fox to build a shock for a dealer is for that dealer to purchase a minimum number of the same shock. That is a big commitment if someone just wants one shock.

Again, this is what I have been told; I myself have never spoken directly to Fox, but I trust the person that told me this. Fox is not a custom shock builder; they are more into mass production. The only way you are going to get a Fox shock to work will be to order the minimum, or find a shock they already make for another model that will work for you.

Doug

250Renvy
11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
You can buy a fox shock that is no link.

So technically it isn't a 250R no-link and you will have to work with a shock builder to get it setup properly but the 450R setup for an ARS-FX linkage is the same setup as a no-link. You will have to have it setup for the no-link but it will bolt up.

I'm pretty sure Fox makes different inserts for shock mount widths depending on machine so you may have to have custom ones made if you can't find anything close enough but I believe it is 95% possible to get it as I did the complete opposite and it works fine - the only difference is it's with an Axis shock.

I took an Axis no-link shock for an LSR 250R and had it the valving reworked for an ARSFX linkage on the 450R. Everything bolts up and works fine with no mods to shock mounts.

dustin_j
11-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
I don’t even think this will work. Per a conversation I had with a suspension builder, the only way to get Fox to build a shock for a dealer is for that dealer to purchase a minimum number of the same shock. That is a big commitment if someone just wants one shock.

Again, this is what I have been told; I myself have never spoken directly to Fox, but I trust the person that told me this. Fox is not a custom shock builder; they are more into mass production. The only way you are going to get a Fox shock to work will be to order the minimum, or find a shock they already make for another model that will work for you.

Doug

I believe a lot of this statement, which makes me further wonder why Evols are so popular. You might be right, I thought Andy M@ul said he could custom order Fox shocks, but you'd have to ask him to be sure.

troybilt
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I believe a lot of this statement, which makes me further wonder why Evols are so popular. You might be right, I thought Andy M@ul said he could custom order Fox shocks, but you'd have to ask him to be sure.

Evols...

You know, just because the are mass produced doesn't mean that they can't be custom valved... My 2nd set of Evols were valved by Wayne Mooradian of PEP, who from what I heard from Dirt Fiend, was instrumental in the design of the Floats. ...just sayin :D

dustin_j
11-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Evols...

You know, just because the are mass produced doesn't mean that they can't be custom valved... My 2nd set of Evols were valved by Wayne Mooradian of PEP, who from what I heard from Dirt Fiend, was instrumental in the design of the Floats. ...just sayin :D

True, but I wonder if many are ever re-valved. Did you notice a big difference with your second set? I did not know that about Wayne. Are you saying he was involved in the design of the original floats, or the Evols?

D Bergstrom
11-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by troybilt

You know, just because the are mass produced doesn't mean that they can't be custom valved.

Exactly. I feel Fox uses generic valving in them. I have owned two different sets of Evols on one of my 450Rs, two different sets of a-arms. The only thing I was asked when I ordered either set was what quad, what a-arms, and are you over 225 lbs. I feel valving should vary on other factors, type of riding, weight, skill level etc. I guess Fox thinks that since they have so many adjustments they are close enough. They are actually good shocks, I just could not get them "perfect."

I always wanted to send mine out to get reworked, just never got around to it. I finally just sold them and got another set of Motowoz, those I have been able to get perfect without having to send them somewhere.

Doug

troybilt
11-09-2010, 07:13 AM
True, but I wonder if many are ever re-valved. Did you notice a big difference with your second set? I did not know that about Wayne. Are you saying he was involved in the design of the original floats, or the Evols?

I have not noticed a big difference yet, but really its like comparing apples to oranges, cause the first set I bought went on my 450r MX bike (but never raced it) and now sold it... this new revalved set I bought are on my 250r which is setup for XC and I've only got about 2hrs of ride time on them, I still haven't got them dialed in yet.

Wayne, I've actually heard that from 2 different sources, that he was "instrumental in the design of the Fox Float Evols"... begs the question why help a competitor? ...but he was probably paid well for the consulting... I can't prove it one way or the other, just thought it was interesting.

dustin_j
11-09-2010, 08:42 AM
D Bergstrom, I've heard of generic Fox valving from several sources as well. This is one reason I'm surprised the Fox shocks are so popular.

Troy, I agree those two setups aren't really comparable. I've heard PEP uses some Fox components; maybe they work together more than we think? But it's all just speculation, haha.

troybilt
11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I also think that the generic valving works for about 90% of the riders... Its guys like D Berg, you?, etc.. that race more than play ride, that need a good valve job... I fall into the category that I could probably get by just fine with generic valving and did, but I'm obsessed with perfection, and it didn't cost anymore to have them revalved at the time...

The other thing, what seems like a good shock setup to one guy may feel like crap to another guy. Its also personal preference on how an individual likes to setup their suspension.

Honestly, I think the Fox Float Evols with generic valving cover probably the widest spectrum of setup options and most flexibility for widest variety of conditions, machines, & individuals, they may not be the best setup for anyone of those particular conditions without a proper valving, and its truely hard to beat a set of coil-spring shocks setup built by the experts specifically for your conditions... however, its also nice not to have need a respring if you change aarms or quads, just change air pressure....

...anyway this thread is about NO-LINK FOX shocks, and not air shocks, we kind of went on a tangent.... sorry to the OP.

D Bergstrom
11-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, sorry to the original poster for hijacking the thread. Just one more thing to add and I will be done.

I think Troy summed it up the best. Everyone looks for something different out of their suspension. I learned this while trying to setup my 450R race quad for three different riders. One of us would love something while another would hate it. Took me a long time to get that quad to a setup all of us could live with. Same could be said about the Fox shocks. My complaints could be something someone else is happy with. Also how many people have tried other setups? If Fox was the only shock I had ever ran, I would probably be perfectly happy with them.

I still feel the Fox shocks are a good shock. Just as Troy said, for 90% of the people they are just fine. I have two 450R's, both have the same supsension parts, they just had different shocks, one had Fox and the other has Motowoz. (They both have Motowoz now.) I bet I could go and ride my test loop and if I was timed I would be just as fast on either quad, but the comfort level would be higher on the Motowoz equiped quad. Someone else could think the Fox quad was more comfortable. Suspension is just big variable with no clear setup that works for everyone.

Doug

800screws
11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
its all good! the main reason was to just keep the front and rear the same on a lsr lt250r that i have going...it has axis shocks now, but i want to make it super light and i know some lbs can be dropped with the front floats...

Rootar
11-12-2010, 02:11 PM
i found fox to be fairly helpful with my last dealings with them i was one the phone with them multiple times prolly a total of 2-3hours finding a shock that they produced that would work with my custom frontend setup on my hybrid they have all the build spec on their shocks along with the leverage ratios for each arm and bike they make them for i needed to find a shock that was 20 inches with 5.0 inches of travel for a 2:1 leverage ratio

and they helped me find a shock they already made that was 20.0 inches 5.1 inches of travel for a 2:1 leverage ratio.

so if you want a nolink rear shock i would calculate the build specs that your after, then give them a call and ask them to compare the build specs of shocks they currently make that would atleast fit your length and travel specs and revalving can be done easily if the leverage ratio does not match.

that would be my approach but im way too fond of my axis rear shock to swap it out for a Fox podium rear shock.... the only reason i gave the dsc gen2 fox floats a try was because i needed a longer shock for my new front end.