PDA

View Full Version : what spark plug to run in the winter

trx250rforlife
11-07-2010, 01:53 PM
same as my title

croat1
11-07-2010, 01:58 PM
i always ran the same plug number all year. leave the plug alone and make sure your jetting is correct.

Honda 250r 001
11-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Why would you want to change sparkplugs because its winter? Does your motor start running bad in the winter? because i believe that would be your jetting. Do you have more fouled spark plugs during winter or something?

trx250rforlife
11-07-2010, 02:33 PM
ya fouling more plugs in the winter i put a 182 main in it live up in canada runs fine tho just fouling plugs maybe a hotter plug i a br9es also have new esr 310 with 39 pwk carb an cr250 igniton with trx5r pipe

fearlessfred
11-07-2010, 03:18 PM
are u fouling on warm up.colder weather requires slightly richer jetting .i allways recommend running the coldest plug u can run without fouling and u are running a cold plug,so this might be one case were u wanna run hotter. i would get my jetting spot on first.

trx250rforlife
11-07-2010, 04:23 PM
i wanna keep my main jet a lil higher because the temperature really changes around hear pretty good in fall one day it be snowing then next it be nice so u say run a hotter plug maybe

11-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Try a number lower; if you are running a 9 go to an 8 or 7...

Gap a little tighter; instead of .030", run .024" or .020" see if that helps.

Carlos.

fearlessfred
11-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by acecarlos
Try a number lower; if you are running a 9 go to an 8 or 7...

Gap a little tighter; instead of .030", run .024" or .020" see if that helps.

Carlos. never heard of decreasing gaps for fouling plugs. i think knowing what type of riding is being done ( high speed or slow speed, long warm ups) should be known . if it is slowspeed with long warmups than a hotter plug is in order. but if it fouling under wide open conditions than jetting changes are in order (and i dont mean just the main jet)

11-08-2010, 12:38 PM
If you keep reducing spark gap, say from .030” to .024” and down to .020” and the fouling seems to go away or reduces, then you have a week ignition system, a bad stator, coil, bad ground, ect…a week spark will facilitate fouling…

The reduction in spark gap was meant as a test and not a cure…

Carlos.

trx250rforlife
11-08-2010, 02:59 PM
i have a brand new cr250 ignition from esr so i doupt its the igniton

hartwill
11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Curtis sparks says to use a b9egv. Which is a cooler plug and no resistor. I started using one of these yesterday about half way through my ride and definatly noticed a difference. I was running a br8es. Curtis sparks says not to go hotter than a 9 heat range and definatly no resistor plugs. For whatever reason it worked for me. No more fouling and a noticeable performance increase.

11-08-2010, 03:40 PM
It could be a faulty or non cleaned ground connection causing a weak spark…try the spark gap reduction test, if you see an improvement, you have a weaker spark than you should.

As Hartwill suggested; the B9EGV is a good choice, seems to have solved his fouling issues, only drawback I can think off with the B9EGV is the high price tag…

Carlos.

fearlessfred
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
If you keep reducing spark gap, say from .030” to .024” and down to .020” and the fouling seems to go away or reduces, then you have a week ignition system, a bad stator, coil, bad ground, ect…a week spark will facilitate fouling…

The reduction in spark gap was meant as a test and not a cure…

Carlos. understood

fearlessfred
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
Curtis sparks says to use a b9egv. Which is a cooler plug and no resistor. I started using one of these yesterday about half way through my ride and definatly noticed a difference. I was running a br8es. Curtis sparks says not to go hotter than a 9 heat range and definatly no resistor plugs. For whatever reason it worked for me. No more fouling and a noticeable performance increase. well i would agree with curtis sparks.the only time a hotter plug is needed is for long warmups and slow speed riding were combustion temps dont get hot enough to keep the plug clean,the fouling of plugs because of air temp changes usually happen ,when u are jetted for cold and temps increase.the first time i ever went to coral pink sand dunes ( about a hundred years ago,on a 250r three wheeler ) i leaned out the jetting three times by the end of the day. the temp went from freezing to 90 degrees in the same day

hartwill
11-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Wow fearlessfred that's a huge climate change, lol. And I agree Carlos Honda dealerships want $10 a plug but autozone sells them for $5 but they have to order them. Some markup, huh? I don't know why more people don't run this plug. It shocked me how much different just a good plug could make it run.

11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
That’s also what happens when you go to Dumont for the Night Drags and then race in the middle of the day as well…40F to 90F all in 12 hours…

Carlos.

fearlessfred
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
Wow fearlessfred that's a huge climate change, lol. And I agree Carlos Honda dealerships want $10 a plug but autozone sells them for $5 but they have to order them. Some markup, huh? I don't know why more people don't run this plug. It shocked me how much different just a good plug could make it run. we have had some rather lengthy debates on this forum,about plugs and once people get it out of there head that the plugs heat range has nothing to with spark (other than keeping it clean enough to spark) that there is no advantage to running a hot plug, others disagree, but i beleive that there are gains to be had with a colder than stock plug and corrected jetting.this apllys to pumped up motors were compression and horsepower is increased. when i was in high school and into drag racing,i would warm up my 440 cuda on j12ys and then switch to j63y to go down the drag strip ( j63y are a lot colder )

fearlessfred
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
That’s also what happens when you go to Dumont for the Night Drags and then race in the middle of the day as well…40F to 90F all in 12 hours…

Carlos. yea thats true been there before ,i had my only cold seize at dumont ( not saying that it was related to jetting ) .u still go to dumont carlos

11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Yes, Dumont is one of my favorite dune areas; love Competition Hill; Banshee Hill is “OK”…

I used to go to Dumont back in 85-86 before the crowds, the BLM, the nice gravel road, the paved creek/winter river, no Heli Pad or Restrooms…liked it better back then.

Carlos.

fearlessfred
11-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, Dumont is one of my favorite dune areas; love Competition Hill; Banshee Hill is “OK”…

I used to go to Dumont back in 85-86 before the crowds, the BLM, the nice gravel road, the paved creek/winter river, no Heli Pad or Restrooms…liked it better back then.

Carlos. yea i started riding dumont in 85 and i liked it better back then also. to many posers and idoits now. i dont even hang out at the hillclimb anymore,we do like a hare andhound race and follow the leader as fast as the bikes will go, i feel it is my job to push the leader to his limits,but i now have some youngsters trying to take my job. getting old sucks

atv fan 28
11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
yea i started riding dumont in 85 and i liked it better back then also. to many posers and idoits now. i dont even hang out at the hillclimb anymore,we do like a hare andhound race and follow the leader as fast as the bikes will go, i feel it is my job to push the leader to his limits,but i now have some youngsters trying to take my job. getting old sucks
PM sent.