PDA

View Full Version : Creative project help.

flyboy1294
11-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey guys,

To make a long story short, I'm applying for a special program related to college. I have all the easy paperwork done, but it requires me to think of a project to do for the benefit of the State or Nation.

Here is what I'm thinking:
currently, I do not know of any national parks in KY that allow Atvs/Utvs/other offroad vehicles ride legally. My project would be to open up regulated and sanctioned trails for ATVs in KY. Offroad vehicles would need to be registered, and then a permit would need to be purchased for access to the trail systems.

Here are some benefits I can think of:
* Stolen atv's would be more easily recovered due to the registration
* It would stimulate the local economy. Definitely would help the state government and help prevent it from furlowing or laying off more state employees
* It would bring tourism to the state in a major way
(This is especially helpful since one of the state's main attractions, Lake Cumberland, is at an extremely low water level due to dam repair.)

Here is what I need to know
*Number of ATV's in KY
* Number of non-privately owned riding areas in KY
* Statistics about anything even closely related

If anyone has any input, or can offer any insight, I would appreciate it in a major way.

dirtrider77
11-07-2010, 03:08 PM
This is similar to ORVs. There were a few around in KY back in the day, and you paid for a little tag that went on your bike.
However with all the EPA **** they basically ruined all of that.

And check out Daniel Boone National Forest....i thought they sold like armbands and you could ride on some of there trails....

As far as how many atvs there are, well thats about impossible to figure out.....good luck on that one ha maybe instead you could check with all the dealers in your county and find out how many they sell per year, then multiply that by the # of countys in KY, and that could be "In ky there are approximately blank number of new atvs sold each year"

google search ky riding areas

good luck with this!

flyboy1294
11-09-2010, 05:04 PM
There are approximately 10 trails in the Daniel Boone National Forest that are possible to ride on.

That still nothing compared to other states. I need a bit more help though.

In your state, what is the process one most go through to ride an ATV in a National Park? This includes registering the vehicle, obtaining permits and licences, etc.

Also prices for this would be appreciated it.

Thanks guys

flyboy1294
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
C'mon guys,

Can anyone help me out here? What do you have to do to ride your quad on the state-owned trails where you live?

Scro
11-11-2010, 05:51 PM
We have Bankhead National Forest here in Alabama. There is only one area that allows for offroad vehicles, and it is only about a 5 mile loop. They don't have anyone actually working a gate, but there is a signup stand. It's $3 per person per day. You basically put your money in an envelope, and put it in a box. The envelopes are replaced every day with the correct date, and you hang the receipt from your rear view mirror to prove that you have paid. It would be very easy to ride without paying, as no one was there actually taking up the money.

The grounds are only worked by the forest service during the weekend (the busiest time). During the week, they only come by to collect the money and to close the gate at sunset.

We have rode at a state park in Mississippi (don't recall the name), and it was about $8 per person, per day. This park was guarded during operating hours, so riding without paying would be out of the question. We were required to fill out paper work that included all of our contact info (address, phone, etc.) I guess it varies depending on which state you are in, as to how strict they enforce the riding fees.

Ntensweapon
11-11-2010, 06:03 PM
In Iowa we have 8 riding areas. SXS's were never allowed until recently. They allow them to ride in 3 of the parks now. They are maintained by local clubs and policed by the DNR(tags,protective gear) We are required to register all vehicles. They offer on site safety training for younger riders. Find more info here
http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/atv/index.html
Good luck