PDA

View Full Version : cutting a trail

finsteratv
11-06-2010, 08:54 PM
how do you guys cut your own trails. i have made a few but how do u guys do it?

CJM
11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Ive done a few and lemme tell you what it takes a long arse time depending on the terrain.

I usually cut down the trees, then remove the stumps as best as possible, build up the trails using shovels, hoes and picks and go from there.

Best one I ever did was at my old boss's house, we based the sizing off a toyota pick up and it took us a whole summer.

finsteratv
11-06-2010, 09:03 PM
ok that makes me feel a little better haha. lemme tell ya the last little trail we built seemed to take forever....maybe cuz it was a rocky brushy up hill:eek: :D haha

Scro
11-07-2010, 05:35 AM
There's no fast way to do it, but a chainsaw and a machete will make it go faster.

dirtrider77
11-07-2010, 06:51 AM
a couple for wheel drives, and if you cant go up over or around it, break out the chainsaw ha

dns1764
11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
where i ride its either light undergrowth that i can ride through a few times to clear it, or heavy growth that i need to clear by hand and it takes all day to go 20 ft. there are a few really muddy spots that i get stuck in so i try to make a pallet bridge. it works alright but the limited spots i have make it very difficult to find places to ride

honda400ex2003
11-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I like to use a weedwacker with a blade on it if they are smaller trees. I use a saw if they are over 1.5-2" or so. steve

finsteratv
11-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I'll have to try out the weed wacker somtime. So far we have been using a machette,rope and our front breaks to spin the tires haha. I haven't built any trails with my hundy yet how do they do brush runnin compared to a 300ex :p

honda400ex2003
11-07-2010, 09:08 AM
the wacker is nice cause you dont have to bend down to get the bottoms of the stumps. you can get blades that are made for the wackers or wackers that are made for blades. lol my wacker was bought with a blade on it but i mostly use it for weedwacking now since all of the trails are done. lol steve

finsteratv
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
i have a wacker but its just a normal one :p how much does a good blade run?

dns1764
11-07-2010, 06:39 PM
my 4 hundy does a good job. the front end lifts easily to crush some of the thicker stuff. just as a heads up, dont ride over anything 1"+ you will get hung up on it

honda400ex2003
11-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
i have a wacker but its just a normal one :p how much does a good blade run?

im not really sure to tell you the truth. I would say 20 bucks or so but that would be a total shot in the dark. lol steve

wilkin250r
11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
The only thing that can really speed up the process is a tractor...

beastlywarrior
11-07-2010, 09:15 PM
rent a dozer and go to town

ridgeracer
11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
rent a dozer and go to town

Or for those of you on a budget, rig up some machetes to your front rims and a chainsaw to the front bumper and peg it.

jgar
11-08-2010, 07:16 AM
The most important part is picking the route. For me if its a fun trail I will make it tight and twisty and wont do any cutting. If iits going to be a well used trail I will cut it out with a chain saw. When I first cut it out I leave the stumps high until the trail is done then I go back and and cut them down. That way I dont have to sharpen the chain often. On the trails that get cut out I also take the smaller trees that had to be cut ( 3"-6" dia.) and cut them down to 6' lenghts and lay them in the muddy areas 90 deg. to the trail. This makes a floating bridge and keeps my EX from getting caked in mud when I just want to go for a short ride.

Ruby Soho
11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I never cut or removed stuff to make a trail. Just go where you can fit. Eventuallyit will get torn up enough and become a nice trail. Or like mine, over years of riding them, and then stopping the rain has washed them away and not its all crappy rocky rutted trails. Good thing I ride pitbikes now though:p

Regular_Joe
11-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Depends on the terrain, the vegetation, etc.

Weedwackers with a brush blade work well overall. We used this method for years.

Our next purchase was a brush-hog. We tend to favor the tractor with the brushhog over the weedwacker. It doesn't do a better job, but its a whole lot faster.

We also recently purchased a PTO driven woodchipper. It handles up to 6" and has an autofeed. Now we just have 2 guys with chainsaws cutting everything, pushing them always the same way whwen the fall. Then another couple people follow with the chipper and immediately chip everything. Its quick, no mess, it actually helps smooth things a lot.

Occasionally we have rented a small stump grinder for a day and hit up any annoying stumps on our trails.

CJM
11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Around here the woods are way to dense to make a trail easily, would need a chainsaw, weedwackers, shovels and lots of time..

finsteratv
11-08-2010, 10:13 PM
hah sounds like theres quite a few methods. ill have to see if i can get my dad to use our log skidder to push some stuff in