PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new 08.....

TWILES
11-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Words cannot explain how happy I am with this bike. We bought an 04 because I liked my 250R so much AND, the main reason, they were a lot cheaper than the Yamaha at the time. Words cannot explain how disgusted I was with that one. I was actually planning to buy a new KTM XC300 this time. We drove to Abernaty's and saw the $3994.00 price-tag and I said," What the hell. Its HALF the price of the KTM and you can ride to too." My wife is tickled to death and I am too. After the 04, I said I'd NEVER buy another Honda and I did and WOW. I've bought 1 ATV before this one that I was 100% happy with and it was my BUILT '89 250R. I believe they got is right with this one. If another model is built, I hope ot doesn't change much. A little more width and a little more umph and it would be completely perfect.

Scro
11-05-2010, 08:11 PM
An exhaust, removing the airbox lid, and rejetting will really let the motor do work.

TWILES
11-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm planning on getting the HRC kit when its time to have the valves checked. I figure the kit and a muffler will be about all I need.

Scro
11-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by TWILES
I'm planning on getting the HRC kit when its time to have the valves checked. I figure the kit and a muffler will be about all I need.

Yeah, that will yield some pretty good gains.

Baileygunns
11-08-2010, 04:49 AM
What was the issue with the 04? There are those that like the 04/05 over the 06+ and vice versa but to say words could not explain how discussed you were with the '04 to the point of not wanting another Honda then turn around and say words could not explain how happy you were with the '08, seems a little extreme... :huh

Was the 04 bought new or did you buy a used mess from someone else?

fastredrider44
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM

I don't think I would fool with the HRC kit. You could always pick up a cam and exhaust for about the same money and be better off. I would also like to know why the change of heart from your 04. And yes, Abernathys has about the best price on them right now.:cool:

TWILES
11-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I didn't like the motor, shocks had 80w motor oil in them. Did not care for the handling. While I complain about the 04, I'm not complaining about one with a lot of $ spent on it. I rode a $15000 one and it was nice but it took that to make it like it was. I have a hard time believing anyone who says they like a motor that stops making power at half throttle.

I had a 89 250r and was hoping to get that again with the 04. Its was anything but. The 08 feels really close to the 250R. A little more motor and I think it will be right there with it. I've owned a bunch of atvs and I like this one better than any before.

The HRC kit is 500 installed. I won't find a full system and a cam for that money. A muffler is $400......

Baileygunns
11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow... Sucks your '04 was like that. Mine is nothing like that at all. With only a pipe, intake and HRC cam it makes power all the way to the rev limiter even with the extra 1000rpm from the procom cdi box. Definately not $15 grand worth of work.

On the bright side, the past is the past and it's good you're happy with the '08. Congrats on your new toy!

TWILES
11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
If I had bought the HRC kit and a pipe for the 04 I think I would have been happy with the motor. I didn't like the gearing but the extra power would have helped that. I just thought it was a turd. I passed it onto my wife and bought a WR. It worked out fine. She liked it and I liked the WR. Next month I'll be on the hunt for a Blaster. My wife needs something and I think she will love one.

By the way, I bought the 04 new and there is no comparison between the two models. I've had something to ride since I was 5 and am closing in on 30. My wife is barely out of the "beginner" state and says the same thing. She went from BigBears and 300 4x4s to my MX Banshee with about $11,000 spent. She knows what money will do for one and this one really doesn't need it.

Baileygunns
11-08-2010, 06:48 PM
She was riding a 450R and a Banshee with $11K into it and you're going to get her a Blaster? :huh

Let us know how that works out for ya...

fastredrider44
11-09-2010, 02:44 PM
^Lol.

I just don't find the 06 up HRC kits all that impressive. The 05 HRC cam is a little different story though. :devil:

yfzfelix
11-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm planning on getting the HRC kit when its time to have the valves checked. I figure the kit and a muffler will be about all I need. my 08 with the HRC kit and a Leo Vince slip on dynoed at 46.73 HP and 31.75 TQ, I'm happy with how it runs