PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on sand tires

SLB400EX
02-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Heading to the dunes for the first time this April. Finally, after much reading and asking, we've narrowed it down to two sets of tires. Sand Skate II OR Skat-Trak Edge. For the type of riding we'll be doing(little of everything really), we know we want a "V" blade paddle tire.

Any opinions on which set would be best for my husband's tweaked 440EX??

THANKS!!
Sher

ps....Powerslider..if you're reading this..MANY THANKS for all your tire help. :D

Glamis400ex
02-09-2003, 02:47 PM
For a 440, I would suggest SandSkate II's.

Glamis

roostu
02-09-2003, 03:31 PM
I agree with Glamis400ex. The skat - trak's are more expensive because they are lighter weight. wich really doesnt matter unless you REALLY need less rotating weight. So go with the sand skates.

~Roost-U

Brad
02-09-2003, 03:57 PM
GECKOS

Brad
02-09-2003, 03:58 PM
GECKOS ALL THE WAY ON DOUGLAS .190S 40$ EACH TIRES AND 50 EACH RIMS

airheadedduner
02-09-2003, 07:15 PM
Hmmmm everyone I talked to and seen ride with geckos hated them with a passion. I watched shee's with the same mods cept diff paddles hillshoot, one with skate's whooped on gecko's. No flame intended.

The edge are lighter then the skate's but they perform similar. The edge seem to have a taller morer aggressive paddle, the skate's beat them in drags cause of this cause the guy with the edges is gonna have to start out a gear lower. Plus the edges are very rough riding unless you are in soft sand or going flat out on hard sand. I would take the skates over thoose two. Skate's are hella more durable, they outlast hauler's/edge's by a mile. On my buddies EX he runs pro-wedges, he likes them way better then skate's. :ermm:

Being a 440EX he would have no troble pulling either tire, but my vote is for the skate's.;)

QuadJunkies
02-10-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Hmmmm everyone I talked to and seen ride with geckos hated them with a passion. I watched shee's with the same mods cept diff paddles hillshoot, one with skate's whooped on gecko's. No flame intended.

The edge are lighter then the skate's but they perform similar. The edge seem to have a taller morer aggressive paddle, the skate's beat them in drags cause of this cause the guy with the edges is gonna have to start out a gear lower. Plus the edges are very rough riding unless you are in soft sand or going flat out on hard sand. I would take the skates over thoose two. Skate's are hella more durable, they outlast hauler's/edge's by a mile. On my buddies EX he runs pro-wedges, he likes them way better then skate's. :ermm:

Being a 440EX he would have no troble pulling either tire, but my vote is for the skate's.;) I second that... All I have talked to up here didnt like them and thought they wer a total waste..SLB400ex~~ Where the heck have you been????:confused:

QuadJunkies
02-10-2003, 12:22 AM
BTW~~ where you going duning at??? have a good time...;) Tina

twisted threads
02-10-2003, 02:28 AM
If it was me getting a tire I would get the skat-trax Haulers but since you want a V-BLADE I would go with the Sand Skate II.

Brad
02-10-2003, 04:40 AM
i was using them at out pit in the snow and hillcimbing but im goin to silver lake nxt summer

SLB400EX
02-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Many Thanks for the input!!!
I think Rob's leaning towards the Skate IIs...
I imagine I'm just gonna have to make that man flip a coin in order to be done with this!! :p
We knew absolutely nothing about sand tires til last week...learned a lot since then I must say. I'm borrowing tires for this trip, come time to buy tires for my EX, I most likely go w/ the Sand Sharks.
Tina, I've been around a bit, just quietly lurking in the shadows. lol. We're headin' to Sliver Lake up in MI mid April. Our first trip to the dunes!!! I'm soooooo excited!! Hoping to go back up later this fall. If we're gonna fork out money for sand tires, you can bet your sweet bippy that we're gonna put them to some use.
:devil

Later..and thanks again
Sher

QuadJunkies
02-10-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by SLB400EX
Many Thanks for the input!!!
I think Rob's leaning towards the Skate IIs...
I imagine I'm just gonna have to make that man flip a coin in order to be done with this!! :p
We knew absolutely nothing about sand tires til last week...learned a lot since then I must say. I'm borrowing tires for this trip, come time to buy tires for my EX, I most likely go w/ the Sand Sharks.
Tina, I've been around a bit, just quietly lurking in the shadows. lol. We're headin' to Sliver Lake up in MI mid April. Our first trip to the dunes!!! I'm soooooo excited!! Hoping to go back up later this fall. If we're gonna fork out money for sand tires, you can bet your sweet bippy that we're gonna put them to some use.
:devil

Later..and thanks again have fun girly...Oh boy.. .are you gonna LOVE sand!!!
Sher :blah :D post some pics when ya get back..

airheadedduner
02-10-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Brad
i was using them at out pit in the snow and hillcimbing but im goin to silver lake nxt summer

The bikes I saw run them whre mostly R's and shee's and the riders where complaining they did not hook up. For your 300 they may be perfectly fine.

Dune Surfer
02-22-2003, 06:09 PM
I have the skates and really like them, for a stock 400 they are a little much. They climb and turn great.

Brad
02-23-2003, 08:51 AM
hey what graphics kit do u have on that 400EX that looks sweet

SLB400EX
02-24-2003, 12:31 PM
We have a brand new set of Skate II's on .190s sitting here on the dining room floor!! Must say, I was surprised at how light weight this set is.
Cool. :)
Can't wait to hit the dunes in the spring!!!

THANKS for the help!! Much appreciated!!

Sher

airheadedduner
02-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Let us know how it works out. With thoose and that big 440 it should be quite the wheelie machine.:macho

Desert Rat
02-25-2003, 03:07 PM
They are both the better qualilty V-paddles. The Sand Skates will probably be a little more durable. The paddles give a little more and therefore are less prone to tearing. The Skat Trak haulers hook up the best but don't turn as easy. The Skates are fun to carve around in the dunes with and the haulers are better for drag racing and hill shooting.