PDA

View Full Version : Brake problem

jbambis
11-05-2010, 08:33 AM
I have got a 86 honda 250 four trax that I have been attempting to fix the brakes on. The front brakes are the major issue, when I bouoght this thing it barely stopped, so I opened up the master clyinder on the hand brake and found the brake fluid was really black and low...

I figured I would drain the fluid and put some clean stuff in there, so I disconnected the brake lines at the hub and drained the fluid. I wanted to also take a look at the pads inside the hub but could not figure out how to get the hub off. So I said screw it and just tried to put some new fluid in and put it back to geather.

So here is the problem I am having now. There is no pressure whats so ever on the brakes, I squeeze the brake handle and there is no resistance and the brakes don't stop the hubs from turning at all.

I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could give me on how to get inside to the discs or rotors or what ever the heck is inside these hubs and why there is now no pressure in the brake lines.

jbambis
11-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Here is the brake handle, looks like it was wrecked and broke at some point, then jb welded.

CJM
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I would get a new (or used) master cylinder, that one although repaired is probably leaking air.

As for the no brakes, I have had many issues with bleeding the brakes on ATV's and the only way I have found that works to bleed them is using a vacuum bleeder like a mity vac which you can get at any parts store for about 20 bucks.

jbambis
11-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Sweet, thanks for the heads up on the mity vac... I will get one and try that. I think these are the original brake lines and they are probably full of grime and other crap. Any idea on how to get the hub off to get to the brake pads?

jbambis
11-05-2010, 10:42 PM
I got a mighty vac and it didn't help much, I got a little more pressure but not enough to stop the 4 wheeler from moving. I think the pads or rotor must be shot, gotta figure out how to get inside the stupid hub to check.