PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain question

JTrider
11-04-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm going to be replacing the cam chain very soon and was wondering if they need to be broken in or anything after installing. I'm replacing both guides and chain.

Thanks,
Jason

CJM
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
You can just pull it off, but its a bit of work to do, if you dont already have one get the manual.

I wont get into to much detail but:
1. Remove side cover
2. Remove valve cover
3. Remove clutch and gears (dont worry they really can only go on one way.
4. Remove cam gear
5. Chain should come off

Reverse steps to put back together.

Its not that hard, just take your time and make sure you follow the manual I recommend a clutch basket holding tool and an impact gun and you will need a 1 1/8 socket iirc (or whatever metric size it is 29 or 32mm maybe?).

Your gonna want a crf450 chain from 2002, much stronger chain as its thicker and its cheaper than the EX chain. Also you should replace the spring loaded cam tensioner as well since they do eventually go bad.

rubbersdown
11-05-2010, 12:12 AM
no break in, just ride like normal.

brokenmike
11-05-2010, 05:29 AM
You are gonna have to pull the head if you are gonna do the guides

tri5ron
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree with CJM,
and I Strongly Second the suggestion, that you get a Honda Shop Manual.

ALSO,...
during reassembly, ....

(now pay close attention here...)

USE A PROPER TORQUE WRENCH AND PROPER TORQUEING PROCEDURES,..... ON EVERY SINGLE BOLT.

(Yes, the caps lock was intentional).

CJM
11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Rons right..

Heres the torque values:
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/torque400ex.html

VERY important not to over torque the valve caps (the large 24mm caps, which coincidentally this would now be a good time to adjust them, FYI heres how: http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html )

And DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT over torque the valve cover bolts. They are only 6mm and will break and strip very easy-trust me I know. They should be tightened in a zig zig like pattern btw.

Think that about covers it.

JTrider
11-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone!