PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide!!!!

ridehonda400ex
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
ive got the chance to sell my 2001 400ex for 1600 and buy another 2000 400ex for 1850 but look at these postings and read the discriptions and tell me what you think......the yellow one is mine and theres a stock picture in my advertisement

here is mine

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/2041087128.html

here is what i could be getting

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/mcy/2034195406.html

and im supposed to be selling mine tommorow so i need fast responses

tri5ron
11-04-2010, 03:54 PM
ok, here's a short fast responce.

No I wouldn't touch it, (the red one), with a 10' pole.

ridehonda400ex
11-04-2010, 04:01 PM
why wouldnt you touch it with a 10' pole? and thanks for the response, i dont wanna get ripped off, and opinions always help

beags86
11-04-2010, 04:53 PM
basically it comes down to this man: any time you buy ANYTHING with an engine your taking a chance something might not be right, trust me on this i have been burned before. just ask anyone that is into this type of stuff. (read=gearhead)

if you want a 450 (like your add says) then get a 450.

if you want to up grade to something better: a quick look on your CL netted this.

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/rvs/1971753165.html

much better buy, in my opinion, looks cleaner and newer with reverse.
plus doesn't have engine work that may not be done properly.

lastly if you want something with more power. you will be better working hard saving up money and upgrading what you have. you already know what you have. a good strong running 400.....right?

or are you the guy trying to sell yours because its weak or about to blow and needs work? i doubt you are. but the guy with the red one might be.

if you keep you quad and upgrade it you can ensure it is built right, and not inherit someone elses problems and have to spend more just to get them right before you can start upgrading what you need for your rideing need and style.

or it might run fine and be faster then yours..

your call.

416racer
11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
The extra 250 bucks for his would go a ways towards making yours stronger. Thats almost a piston and a cam.

ridehonda400ex
11-04-2010, 06:01 PM
hey guys i think im just gunna stick with my 400ex and not sell it and get some front shocks and maybe a pipe for christmas lol (i wish i could stay a kid forever) whats a good shock that wont break the bank? i dont think i want the 450 shocks cause they can break the welds and i dont have money to re-valve them lol

tri5ron
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
why wouldnt you touch it with a 10' pole? and thanks for the response, i dont wanna get ripped off, and opinions always help Ok, here's some more of my opinion,...

The reason I did not reply back as quickly, for your question above,
is because I wanted to wait and see what some of the other experienced and knowledgeable members here would say.

(also,... rather than spend the time typing a long drawn out explanation,... that I was already confident, one of the aformentioned members would surely do).

Beags did that,
and he did it very well.
EVERYTHING in his responce is SPOT-ON.

I could go on and disect all the additional details and reasons that are apparent,
but I feel it's really unnecessary at this time, and will refrain from doing so.

Take Beags advise.
Don't be so impatient that you think this is a once in a lifetime chance, It's NOT.

You, by you own description, have a very clean, reliable, good running machine.
You already KNOW what it's condition and maintaince requirements are.
It is ALSO one of the finest quads made,... with the highest level of "Modifiability", (I think I just made that word up), as well as it has a virtual Plethora of available upgrades,...
and will CONTINUE to have those available for MANY years to come.

Bottom line is, You need to make a decision on what you really want.
Is it something that is like a Timex watch,...
"takes a licking, and keeps on ticking"...
or,...
(now get ready for the longest sentence I've ever typed here...)

Is it spending your hard earned cash, on somebody else's unknown rebuilt engine, who probably did it themself without the proper knowledge or experience, (And this is probably WHY it needed a rebuild in the First place), that has had the livin'piss run out of it, and is ONLY being sold because he want to get rid of it before something else breaks down, (Again, because he has not properly maintained it, and has run the piss out of it),
BUT It has "Really cool graphics and some parts that you wish YOUR quad had".
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

Use your head man, and think about what you are doing.
Make a decision on what you really want, and work hard towards acheiveing that goal.

but as was already said before,.....

It's your call.

and one last parting note,
If you DO decide to just roll the dice with your cash, and end up buying the red one, then take this advise,...

The FIRST thing your should buy for it would be a towrope,
and you could save yourself some time, by going ahead and tying it to the front bumper.
(You'll be needing it there, sooner than you think.)

tri5ron
11-04-2010, 06:19 PM
hey guys i think im just gunna stick with my 400ex and not sell it and get some front shocks and maybe a pipe for christmas lol (i wish i could stay a kid forever) whats a good shock that wont break the bank? i dont think i want the 450 shocks cause they can break the welds and i dont have money to re-valve them lol I was typing my last responce while you posted this.
Good call on keeping YOUR quad, but I really don't understand where you get your info. on the 450r shocks breaking welds ? I've never heard of that, ... and No, You do not HAVE to revalve them.
I run 450r shocks, with Works springs, on stock a-arms, with no revalving, and can gaurantee you that they are top notch, best bang for your buck, performance.
10000 % better than the stock 400ex front shocks.

ridehonda400ex
11-04-2010, 06:38 PM
see ive heard theyre GREAT shocks but ive heard that some peoples shock mounts break, but i suppose that doesnt mean that its the shocks fault, and if i go with the 450 shocks then theyll be stock springed and valved, which is fine with me, i HATE the stocker front shocks on my 400ex, and also since you seem pretty knowledgeable about these shocks, whats the best way to get them mounted? i hear the holes dont line up on top, and yes my quad runs like a champ lol

tri5ron
11-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Happy reading,
:D
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187613

omeeomy
11-04-2010, 06:52 PM
i put the kfx 450 shocks on mine from an 05
GAWD DO I LOVE THEM
its lkike riding a barkalounger now
so go for the 450 shock upgrade youll love it

beags86
11-04-2010, 07:53 PM
see ive heard theyre GREAT shocks but ive heard that some peoples shock mounts break, but i suppose that doesnt mean that its the shocks fault, and if i go with the 450 shocks then theyll be stock springed and valved, which is fine with me, i HATE the stocker front shocks on my 400ex, and also since you seem pretty knowledgeable about these shocks, whats the best way to get them mounted? i hear the holes dont line up on top, and yes my quad runs like a champ lol

I run 450r shocks on my 02. Stock spring stock vavling. my small amount of advice is to put them on and try them out. i had rode a few 450's a fair amount and liked the stock shocks.

You can always swap out the springs or have them revavled or both if you don't like them. i just happen to like the way they are stock.

i had been on a quad with resprung 450r shocks and while it was nice. i like the stockers for my riding needs.