PDA

View Full Version : 1973 "Q-Code" Mustang Mach 1 Restoration

bkelley
11-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Figured I'd show you guys what's been taking up my time and money lately.

My dad and I have a '73 Mach 1 that has been sitting for some years now. He bought it back in the late 70s and drove it up until the mid 90s when he had to park it. It's been sitting under a cover in the back yard for some time now. Tried to keep it running but time eventually took over and it just sat. A few years back we pulled it out and got it running again but we didn't have the time or money to do the full override. Now that I'm able to put money into it myself, and can actually drive it, we are gonna pull it out again and hopefully return it to it's former glory. I've been looking for a fun car to drive for a while now but made the decision to focus my time and money on the Mach 1. It going to take some time to get it finished, but it'll definitely be worth it.

To find out the original specs, I ran the vin number and data codes through mustangdecoder.com and got these results.

http://imgur.com/nyGu9.png

Picture of the door tag.

http://imgur.com/WU4O6.jpg

What I found out is that this is a pretty rare option car. I've been told that only 1% of the '71 Machs came with manual transmissions and it's expected a manual '73 is just as rare, if not more so. My dad built the motor up by camming it, adding 10:1 pistons, Edelbrock manifold, Holley 750 double pumper carb, Hooker longtube headers and dual glass packs. I guess back when he was driving it the throw out bearings went bad and ate up the clutch. At the time he didn't have the money to fix it, so he swapped out the 4 speed for a C6 he got from a friend (he regrets it to this day). The clutch assembly is still there, so going back to a manual will be easy enough. He also replaced the 750 double pumper with a 650 single since something happened with the 750. Once we get it going, I plan on putting both a T-5 and a 750 in it.

The car has been sitting for a while, so it does need some work to just get it running again. Luckily I live in the desert so there isn't much rust on the car. Undercarriage does have some, but I'm hoping most of it will come off with the power washer. Here are a couple pictures of how it sits right now.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs988.snc4/76192_449003488030_582683030_5462164_5109133_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs897.snc4/73039_449003543030_582683030_5462166_7959182_n.jpg

It's a complete engine compartment so there isn't much to do to get it running. I just put fresh oil in and after I clean out the gas tank it should be ready to start. Once I know it'll start up, I'm gonna pull the engine out and do a complete overhaul on it. Replace all the seals, gaskets, lines, et cetera. Also going to paint the block and clean/polish the manifold and other parts.

Here is my project list so far, not necessarily in any order.

• Clean motor, replace dry-rotted lines, gaskets, et cetera, tune-up
• Clean entire underside and replace bushings
• Gut inside for cleaning
• New door hinges
• Roof is sunk in on one side, need to see what has to be done
• Replace exhaust with new Hooker longtubes and Flowmaster super 40s
• Clean and polish wheels
• 245/60R14 BFG Radial T/As all around
• Minor body work/sand down entire body/prep for paint
• Paint job
• ProMotion T5 tranny
• New carb

I am going to go with the stock paint scheme, gold glow metallic with black decals and hood stripes. I'm also going to paint the engine block Ford blue and get black engine accessories.

So, yeah, there you have it. This isn't something that is going to happen overnight, so don't expect results in a month. I will update when necessary. Thanks for reading.

trailrider894
11-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Don't do Flowmaster 40's.... EVERYBODY uses those... go against the grain and do something unique. I put a glasspack on my old Small Block Chevy. Just do something thats not normal. I would rebuild the carb, because if you don't it will cause problems or a new carb, but if the budget doesn't allow then don't do it. BTW clean up the underside of the car and spray it with undercoat. Suspension will probably be bad on it so it might be worth the dollar or two. My old car actually gained 1 second on its 1/4 time with new suspension.

bkelley
11-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Don't do Flowmaster 40's.... EVERYBODY uses those... go against the grain and do something unique. I put a glasspack on my old Small Block Chevy. Just do something thats not normal. I would rebuild the carb, because if you don't it will cause problems or a new carb, but if the budget doesn't allow then don't do it. BTW clean up the underside of the car and spray it with undercoat. Suspension will probably be bad on it so it might be worth the dollar or two. My old car actually gained 1 second on its 1/4 time with new suspension. There is a reason everyone goes with Super 40s, they have a great sound. I was thinking about going with some new packs, but I don't know. Carb has already been rebuilt and I have plans for the underside and suspension.

chucked
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
What I learned from doing resto's is to never make a list, because it wont matter LOL

bkelley
11-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I just typed that up because I was excited to get going. I've already found a bunch of other things to do before even starting that list.

trailrider894
11-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you are ahead of the game bro!! Go with the 40's if thats what you are set on. I am just tired of everyother car that drives by and they all sound the same. Just though you might wanna do some more research, because there are some better sounding setup's out there that aren't 40's.

bkelley
11-04-2010, 11:53 PM
I really like the sound of Mac exhaust, one of the best, in my opinion. Was considering going with some some Pro Dumps. Borlas sound great, too. The s-type sounds especially awesome on the newer Mustangs. I've never heard a classic muscle car with Borla exhaust, though. Plus they're twice as much as any other muffler.

As you can see, I really haven't made up my mine yet.

250x_kyle
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
did you check into SLP ? i like there exhausts.

bkelley
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k7xE8V6dZw

bkelley
11-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Just had the carb rebuilt and putting it on tonight, should be able to have it idling nicely now. I'll take another video and post it tomorrow.

bkelley
11-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
Just had the carb rebuilt and putting it on tonight, should be able to have it idling nicely now. I'll take another video and post it tomorrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5erEkM5KkmY

ridgeracer
11-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I personally love the idea of electronic cut-aways on an old muscle car. Just for those times you Really wanna turn heads. :D

bkelley
11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ridgeracer
I personally love the idea of electronic cut-aways on an old muscle car. Just for those times you Really wanna turn heads. :D Electric cutouts are definitely on my list. Pretty far down the list, though haha.

Pipeless416
11-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by bkelley
Electric cutouts are definitely on my list. Pretty far down the list, though haha.

lol they're very high on my list :devil: i'll call it my happy switch.

bkelley
11-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
lol they're very high on my list :devil: i'll call it my happy switch. Only reason they are pretty far down the list is because I have a lot of other things to worry about before I start getting into stuff like that. I'm gonna pull the motor here soon to paint the block and overhaul it completely.