PDA

View Full Version : once again... hard starting 400ex

cals400ex
02-09-2003, 09:52 AM
i have a 400ex and it is just tought to start. i have a 42 pilot in. the clip is moved down one position. and my main jet is a 152. i have a new plug. it is the standard dpr8z plug by ngk. i don't have a clue what the deal is. most people tell me once they get that new pilot in it starts without the choke. yes, i do pump the throttle a couple of times in order to get it started but i still have to use full choke. i have my air box modded and a stock pipe on. the only thing i can think of is messing around with the fuel skrew. i believe it is about 3 turns out. help would be great because this is annoying. thanks

02-09-2003, 01:07 PM
is it hard to start or hard to keep running. if its hard to start try this:

turn the gas on . put on full choke. pump the throttle 2 times. hit the started button and as its cranking pump it one more time so a shot of gas from the accelerator pump shoots in and it should start. let it run with the barely open throttle for 25 seconds then put half choke and let it idle. mine always starts up like this.

if ur having trouble keeping it running try this:

After u get it started just try to keep it running. if it bogs give it a little gas. On my quad if u rev it up high, as soon as it comes down it will stall.

Steve-o 400EX
02-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Ur runnin about the same setup i am except i got an e-series and no choke. I notice mine was hard to start with the stock pipe on it but with the e-series once it fires it will idle no problem. I pump my gas 5 times and it fires right up. Are you hitting the gas when ur turnin it over? I usually have mine at 1/4 throttle and then i back it off to like 1/8 for like 5 seconds and she's runnin.

da_rider26
02-09-2003, 09:13 PM
all i gotta say is start pushing. mine hard to start to so i dont even try to use electric start . puter in 4th gear get a running start and jump down on back of seat and shif down. works every time for me

twisted threads
02-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Im sorry to say but if you got to push start your Ex every time there is something wrong. All you got to do is pump the gas 3-5 times hit the starter and there you go it should be running.

Steve-o 400EX
02-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Im sorry to say but if you got to push start your Ex every time there is something wrong. All you got to do is pump the gas 3-5 times hit the starter and there you go it should be running.

Yea this is true, There might be something a little off if it doesn't want to fire.

brian400ex
02-10-2003, 03:17 PM
you said that it is a new plug. Is it brand spankin new or have you run it with the plug before? I've had this problem before and all you need to do is clean the plug. Hope this helps

Brian

da_rider26
02-11-2003, 02:36 PM
the reason its so hard to start is cause it has so much motor work done. its only hard in winter