PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a CVT (transmission)

Underdogdave
11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I realize that calling a CVT a CVT transmission is like calling an ATM an ATM machine, but for clarity's sake I include it.

Can anyone direct me to a website or to someone who races ATV's with CVT transmissions that has modified the inner workings and/or springs to increase the speed of their ATV?

I have two 2006 CanAm DS250's that I'd like to go faster than the 40/45-mph top speed that it currently has. I know I can do that with a larger counter sprocket and a smaller driven sprocket. I have a custom-made larger counter sprocket installed on one machine. Before I get another for the other machine and also go the route of the smaller rear sprockets, I'd like to talk to anyone who has changed out or modified the springs in the drive pulley of the CVT. I've heard this can be done and want to know if that modification negates the need to change sprockets.

Ideally I'd like to modify my ATV to reach highway speeds of over 65mph. Before anyone tells me how unsafe this is, I've already modified the steering to accommodate this speed. I also know that this size of ATV is not designed for this, but just know that I am heavily modifying the rest of this ATV too for that not to be an issue.

Thanks.

panici33
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Check out EPI....www.erlandsonperformance.com/

selbygirl
11-16-2010, 10:35 AM
post it on mini atv under 90 cc under atv sub frame forum and check out the drr or apex those bikes are cvts some one ther may point you in the right dorection or talk to marc at hotquads or gary at g-force atv racing on our bikes on the varater wghts go heaver more top end ligher for mor bottom and i think you can put a spacer on your variater a real thin washer im not 100% sure but i would ask the mini quad peaple good luck tommy