PDA

View Full Version : starter just stopped working

rynb15
11-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I was out riding sat/sun and everything was fine. We stopped in the middle of a field for a few min. When i went to start the bike backup it would not crank. Nothing. Pushed it and it started right up. Now the last time i rode it the neutral light stopped working and the clutch had to be in to start it in neutral. dont know if somehow the 2 are related or if the starter just died? I have not looked at anything yet. Just wanted ideas on the best places to start looking for the problem. Thanks guys

tri5ron
11-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by rynb15
I have not looked at anything yet. Just wanted ideas on the best places to start looking for the problem. Thanks guys
battery connections, charge level, fuses, grounds, and connectors

Pipeless416
11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
check the two wires that go up to the clutch lever. sounds like something is going on up there. this is how people can start in gear with the lever pulled in. they cut the two wires and splice them together. it sounds like yours aren't making contact when they should, so there is no power being delivered to the starter.

bherriman
11-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Check battery ground for a clean and tight connection...Make sure neutral saftey swith is plugged in.

ksanfordc
11-02-2010, 04:11 PM
i had the clutch lever problem wires came loose

rynb15
11-04-2010, 03:57 AM
ended being a broken ground wire. I always overlook the easy stuff and start thinking its something bigger. Thanks for the replies