PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone installed a MSD Blaster FI on their YFZ450R

B-Nick
11-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I recently bought an 09 YFZ450R. I love the quad, but the throttle is somewhat touchy when you are going at slower speeds in 1st gear. I was wondering if the MSD Blaster would smooth out the on/off throttle symptom. I was also wondering if it would give the bike more power when going slower vs. seeming like it wants to stall out. I was used to my 400ex, when I let the clutch out, I didn't have to give it a ton of gas and it didn't want to stall like the 450.

I did drop the front sprocket on the 450r one tooth which helped some.

Any help would he great. This is the first 450 i've owned. It's also the first FI quad i've owned.

wicked300ex
11-04-2010, 06:46 AM
I had one, do not recommend it. Had nothing but troubles with it and had plenty of resources to make it work and it still wouldn't. Had better luck with the Power Comanders. more mellow also

pappadave404
11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
The difference is fuel injection compared to the carb when you let of the gas on the injected engine the injecter shuts down to idle or very little fuel very quickly and the engine vacume or suction cant pull fuel past the injector like it does on a carburated engine as the engine winds down. MSD will help throttle response and stalling but it still will be very touchy its a fuel injection thing.

02bwraptor
11-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by wicked300ex
I had one, do not recommend it. Had nothing but troubles with it and had plenty of resources to make it work and it still wouldn't. Had better luck with the Power Comanders. more mellow also

Do you run the ecu from gt thunder now? I have noticed that with the msd some times the bike runs great and other times it runs like crap. Or maybe it is just me getting tired after 1 1/2 hours of racing.

B-Nick
11-15-2010, 03:47 PM
No, my bike is completely stock. I was looking into fuel programmers to get some more low end and take away some of the on/off symptoms when riding at slower speeds.