PDA

View Full Version : best xc motor builder

wild250rman
11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
getting ready to start on my 05 450r, i am going to be setting it up for xc racing next season. currently have an aluminum air box that runs the 250r air filter a sparks jet kit and sparks pipe. would like to do a 12:1 piston and new cam. was wondering who is doing the best motor work such as porting and etc. want the motor to pull good of the bottom with good mid-range and still have good over rev on top. would like to have smooth power delivery similar to the 450x. Built quit a few 250r's but this will be my 1st four stroke build. would i be able to build on what i have or start all over? motor is all stock with exception of mentioned parts, maybe 10 original hours on quad. so every thing is still good and tight.

300racer
11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
moto x perts does good work and so does ft thunder. i'm sure there are lots of people out there that do good work but that is the to i see the most of. my buddy has a stock 06 450r with mxp head work and it awesome. and anoth friend has 13-1 comp piston with mxp head work and the power was just crazy almost to much for xc racing.

eastside 400
11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
another +1 for MotoXperts. Toby does some great work

Brewer48
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Moto-Xperts is the only way to go. Toby is the man!

wild250rman
11-02-2010, 02:08 PM
been looking at their web site it really sounds like what i am looking for. engine numbers sound impressive and so does the prices. got me a shopping list started. has anyone run their motor mods with a sparks pipe or should i go with their pipe with the resonator?

300racer
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
my friend runs a sparks pipe with his and it is nice. i will prolly run the same setup when i buy another quad. but rossier and hmf are also good exhaust to.

wild250rman
11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
my friend runs a sparks pipe with his and it is nice. i will prolly run the same setup when i buy another quad. but rossier and hmf are also good exhaust to. that is good would save some cash for suspension. have any of you guys run any of their oem shock mods and if so how well did they perform.

trompen542
11-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Jake Wilson in mi does great work, we use Barker exhaust, very high hp with a very broad torque curve for cc, and he doesn't soak you for the work. he also uses an in house dyno to tune every motor for the parts you run.

300racer
11-03-2010, 09:17 AM
i have ran revalve's from c and d racing and they worked really well and another buddy run's gt thunder revalves and the seem to work good to. c and d was fairly cheap and i had them do mine back in 04 so the price might have gone done more since then. gt thunder does good work and so does jett suspension. i figure if revalves are good enough for brian wolf to win the xc2 championship and win an over all on gt. thunder revalves they prolly work just as good as any aftermarket shock if you have them setup right. i like fox floats cause you can change them at each race for the conditioin's but if i didn't have the money for them i would go with revalves.

antwanrttg
11-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
that is good would save some cash for suspension. have any of you guys run any of their oem shock mods and if so how well did they perform.

I am running a set of Moto-Xperts' OEM rebuilds/mods and they are awesome! I have had zero problems with anything that Toby touches.

I'll also vouch for their engine work as well. It's definitely race-proven that they are one of the top engine builders when it comes to XC racing.

300racer
11-03-2010, 12:53 PM
forgot that mxp does shocks to. the only prob i have seen with mxp is there turn around time. it took over a month to get the tranny mod done.

antwanrttg
11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 300racer
forgot that mxp does shocks to. the only prob i have seen with mxp is there turn around time. it took over a month to get the tranny mod done.

When did you have it done? I know for a while Toby was kinda short-handed out in the shop, but he's hired some good help and his turn around time should be pretty decent. Although, there are always things that can come up I'm sure.

300racer
11-03-2010, 02:58 PM
it was back in august. i don't mind to wait we asked if we would get the parts back in time for a race that was 2 weeks away and he told us yes and that if i sent the whole motor it would be done by the end of the week. but just sent the tranny so i thought that would be faster and i called and called and got no answer or when they did answer it was we will have it to you by this day and that day would come and nothing. then got a phone call and said it was on it's way after i missed the race and 2 weeks later it finally showed up. i know that is a busy time of year cause of the gncc break but i just felt like cause i wasn't spending a bunch of money and since he wasn't going to make a bunch of money that he kept pushing it off to the side. i doubt this happen's very much i have a few friends that deal with mxp and never have had any problems and every company has made mistakes. it might have just been a mistake so i'm not knocking them really cause the do good work i was just sayn it might take some time to get your stuff.

Dave400ex
11-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Toby can build you a good motor. I've had a MXP engine for the past 4 years with great results and no issues. For the 05 just do the piston, HRC cam and porting. You may need some replacement parts in the head if it has a lot of time. If you send him the complete engine he can go ahead and do the tranny mod and make sure it has the updated crank bearing as well.

wild250rman
11-03-2010, 04:04 PM
mxp sounds like the ticket for my xc build.looking at their ported head set up with seats valves and retainers still debating over which cam the hrc, 02 crf or hot cam stage 2. kinda leading toward the crf cam but will i loose my decompression set up with it or not and using the 12.5 to1 piston. sounds as if everyone has had good luck with mxp's service and work. thanks everyone for the help.

Dave400ex
11-03-2010, 04:18 PM
The HRC cam is a very good cam for the xc build.

Here is info on one of my MXP builds.
MXP Engine Build (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=378158&perpage=10&highlight=indy show&pagenumber=4)

BSTURDIVANT
11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Pm'ed you- we still have a bunch of 05 stuff!