PDA

View Full Version : swing-arm bearing question..

hack
11-01-2010, 02:43 PM
i ordered some cheap bearings off ebay(swing arm, not axle) for $15 since mine fell apart when i took the swing arm off.
i went to install them and noticed they were bigger than the diameter on the swing arm (by .1" if i remember correctly)
i've already contacted the seller but i was just curious if this is normal? i mean, i know most bearings have to be pressed in, but that's a nice difference in size.

incase anyone needs to see the bearings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330328297429&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:MOTORS:1123#ht_1513wt_828

CJM
11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Did ya try throwing them in the freezer and seeing if they would go in then?

hack
11-01-2010, 02:57 PM
the freezer? lol seriously? i've never heard of that. won't condensation hurt the bearings?

rubbersdown
11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by hack
the freezer? lol seriously? i've never heard of that. won't condensation hurt the bearings?

Haha no it wont hurt them. Throw them in the freezer over night and then heat your swingarm ends with a torch then pull the bearings out of the freezer and very quickly drop in the frozen bearings as they will start to re-expand within seconds.
You really never heard of this? Its called "sweating them in". Its the best way to do it sense it requires no pressure to be put on the bearing via a press. Its the only way I do most bearings, especially main crank bearings.

CJM
11-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I do it one of two ways like rubbersdown talks about.
1. throw the bearing in the freezer making SURE its packed inside some kinda very frozen object-ice, package of frozen veggies, etc. When your ready go and heat the part up with a torch making SURE you dont heat it to much (hint it doesnt take much, holding a propane torch on it for 30 secs at most and moving it around the housing where the bearing goes will be fine. If you heat it to mucht he metal will turn blue and lose temper-this is a bad thing as the metal is weakened now.

2. Same torch method as above but you need a can of compressed air. Flip it upside down and spray the heck out of the bearing. It will be REALLY cold since liquid CO2 just came out of the can-your gonna need gloves or tongs. This method takes WAY less time. Can substitute the canned air with a CO2 fire extinguisher too if you got one laying around.

Main thing is these methods will make the bearing slide in with ease.

hack
11-02-2010, 10:33 AM
the whole freezing and heating didn't work. the diameter of the bearings are 28.05mm and the diameter of the swing arm hole is 25.50mm.. there is no way these things are going in.

rubbersdown
11-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I randomly have some 250r swingarm bearings laying around and your ebay link you posted said they fit 250r and 400ex so ill measure mine later and post what they measure out to.

hack
11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
well after talking with a local shop i figured out the ones they sent me were for a yamaha. the ebay store couldn't give me a refund but resent the correct ones.. LAME. i could pick them up today from the local place and be done with it.. which i'm going to do anyways :)

250x_kyle
11-02-2010, 04:03 PM
that a big difference over one hundred thousanths. but still even .1 is alot for a bearing

hack
11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
i thought so too. now that i have the right ones i can tell the difference just by looking.

CJM
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Well aint that something, they sold you the wrong ones. It does happen, when I originally read your thread I thought you said .01 not .1

hack
11-03-2010, 11:03 AM
hmm i can't seem to get the old bearings out. they are like completely rusted in even though aluminum doesn't rust? i've tried pressing them out, beating them out, and no luck. do they come out the center or the outside?

EDIT. got them out finally.. that was a huge pain!