PDA

View Full Version : runs & moves but no clutch help please :)

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 01:55 PM
okay so i was going along and suddenly no clutch i could still shift and ride just wasn't using the clutch. thought it might be cable but no. so i pulled case cover off and the clutch lever spring was still good but the lever moves up like 1/8 of an inch guessing that's why it won't push the pin in to shift the clutch. any help?

ps clutch plates and everthing else is perfect shape nothing is overly worn but can't seem to figure out why my clutch won't work. i can pull on it but it won't spring back it's like it not catching something. it has a little kich back because of the lever spring but that's only a little spring.

Scro
11-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Pull the cable out of the clutch arm, and make sure the arm is not broken. You should be able to pull the arm out of the case. I really don't know why it would be broken, but that's what it sounds like.

CJM
11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Have you tried a new cable? its probably stretched or binding.

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
tried new clutch cable,. the arm will not come out by simply pulling on it but it is coming out a hair more than normal

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
it's no doubt a problem with the clutch arm or further in but can't seem to figure it out. the piece that the arm pushes in to engage clutch moves in and out just by phushing and pulling on it and i can see where t he arm normally contacts the end of that piece because it has a bit normal wear on it

fearlessfred
11-01-2010, 02:40 PM
i have always pulled the preasure plate (the part that the springs and bolts hold on) and pulled the push rod out, to remove the arm and shaft . and it sounds like u need to do that anyway. its pretty simple. one u remove the preasure hold the pushrod against the arm and move the arm,if the push rod moves in and out then nothing is broke in that area ( i would still pull arm and pushrod out and inspect anyways) that only leaves the bearing setup that goes between the pushrod and preasure plate

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
pulled it off again not getting anywhere. i put old clutch cable back on. it's like the cable is too long but i know it's not. it's like the clutch lever arm isn't catching soon enough.

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
okay so i tightened the cable to the furtherest point of tightening it. then i pulled on clutch handle and it was like it was working right but still not pulling far enough to engage the clutch. so i reached over and pushed lever arm where cable connects to it and i clicked and what it did is it slid past the center piece the pushed clutch in to engage clutch. it sounded like it slipped off of whatever it was pulling or pushing in this instance. (for a simpler description.)

CJM
11-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Where did you get the new cable? OEM honda or offbrand?

Friend of mine had same exact issue, no clutch lever basically. His wouldnt do anything even way adjusted. We put a motion pro on and it was worse, got OEM honda its fine.

Are you sure the spring inside the case covers ok, are you sure its engaging the throwout bearing properly? Is it proerly put together, etc.

Not much else I can say as the cable systems rather simple.

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 03:44 PM
clutch cable is oem and it's worked for the past couple years. the spring is springy lol inside the case cover it's notbroken. i'm not sure what you mean by the throw out bearing. i really think there's something missing on the end of the pushrod because it has wear on it from me working with it but it didn't originally. so i think there was suppose to be something there on the end of it where it touches the arm shaft what you think?

fearlessfred
11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
the shaft on the arm that goes down into the trans. has a notch cut into it ,the pushrod that disengages the clutch sits in the flat spot of that notch. when the shaft is turned the pushrod rides up on the higher part of the shaft (just like the cam,lifter,pushrod setup in a motor ) u have turned the shaft far enough that the push rod is riding on the rounded part of the shaft .once u have twisted the shaft that far, i think the shaft and arm will slid out. but i dont know that it will go back in with out pulling the preasure plate and pusrod maybe someone else can jump in here. it has been 10 years or more since i have had to mess with this stuff

CJM
11-01-2010, 04:43 PM
You need to verify the following:

1. The new clutch cable is an OEM one, if it isnt that could be your issue right there-might be to long or short. if worst comes to worst I know you said its OEM but compare it to someone elses cable or swap and see what happens.

2. The whole arm mechanism inside the case cover is ok. Your clutch cable should connect to the arm and then the arm goes into the case, from there it fits into the spring and that is put in the case cover only one way-you will see it when you take a look. there is a small hole the spring goes into in that arm.

3. That the arm is definitely on properly and connecting to the lifter (piece that lifts up in the clutch assembly and catches the arm) right. the piece your looking at is the very end little nipple (lifter) on the clutch. This piece moves in and out and engages/disengages the clutch when you pull the lever. The arm has a cutout for it, if it looks messed up it probably is-the cut out on the arm should fit on the nipple with no issues. Both should be clean and not worn at all.

4. When you put it all back together you gotta do it like this: Pull that little lifter (nipple) out as far as it can go, put the case cover on with the arm and its cutout facing so that when you turn the arm the proper way it will engage that lifter Then you attach the cable and your all set.

Not much more I can offer like I said since I cant see it. It took me a good 20 mins to get it on right on my friends and the same for mine. It should go on then you turn the arm and it engages the clutch then you put your cable on.

But seriously it sounds like you your clutch isnt engaging right.the wrong length cable maybe or maybe the arm or its parts are on wrong.

Do you have a manual? it shows exactly how to do it in there.

you could have a faulty lifter Warped clutch plates, bad lifter or your clutch lever isnt adjusted right.

fearlessfred
11-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by The Quad Kid
okay so i tightened the cable to the furtherest point of tightening it. then i pulled on clutch handle and it was like it was working right but still not pulling far enough to engage the clutch. so i reached over and pushed lever arm where cable connects to it and i clicked and what it did is it slid past the center piece the pushed clutch in to engage clutch. it sounded like it slipped off of whatever it was pulling or pushing in this instance. (for a simpler description.) if u pulled the arm as far as it goes and it still did not disengage clutch , it is not the cable

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
okay so on my other post i just posted earlier requesting a picture of a pushrod, shows that the end of it has a small flat round piece that fits into the slot in the arm shaft. Mine doesnt have that piece so i'm assuming that's the problem because that would make sense why there's nothing there to grab when the clutch is pulled in. check that picture out if you get a chance see if you agree.

The Quad Kid
11-01-2010, 09:27 PM
so i finally figured it out it took looking at a picture of what it's suppose to look like and seeing that mine didn't look like that lol

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELPED I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH!!!