PDA

View Full Version : Noob to the forum with a valvetrain problem!

ahlers77
10-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I am new to the forum & have a problem I'm hoping some of the veterans can help me with. I traded my modified 01 Blaster for an 03 400ex a few days ago. The guy told me he had a new cam chain & valve job done last November but the valves needed adjusted. I adjusted the valves to spec & still have a loud ticking from the right when warmed up (sounds perfect when cold)! First thought was the cam chain has been stretched & needs replaced or possibly the tensioner was bad so I inspected the tensioner & all is good there but I haven't checked the chain yet. Also there is a pretty loud slap when on the gas hard in first or second...piston slap maybe? I've tinkered with a lot of different things & have pretty good mechanical skills but any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

honda400ex2003
10-31-2010, 08:18 PM
400s always seem to make noise when they are warmed up but if it is extremely noticable i would say it still needs adjusting or at least verify that it is correct still. also could be some piston slap although i havent really heard of that at all. it could be a bit looser tolerance than most. it could def be a stretched out cam chain causing issues. they tend to make a slap noise when they are pretty loose. That would be where i started i guess since this is the most common issue with them. just another option for you to think about. you said it was a new one though so it may be out of the question there too. even though he said it was new you have explained 2 problems associated with a worn cam chain. lol steve

honda400ex2003
10-31-2010, 08:23 PM
oh and welcome to the site! this is a great place for info. steve

ahlers77
10-31-2010, 08:29 PM
I know what you mean... he says the cam chain had been replaced but was it really is what I am wondering! I plan on replacing the cam chain with the crf450 chain & go from there before I go buying a new piston & everything else. Thanks for the reply Steve!

honda400ex2003
10-31-2010, 08:36 PM
2002 will work on the chain. i wouldnt jump into a piston yet thats for sure. if anything get a 416 to have on deck just in case. never hurts to have spare parts around anyway. if i had my way, id have a full engine or more of spares to play with when i want. I dont really need it though with the reliability of it. :D steve

matts27
11-01-2010, 04:35 AM
My valves tick when warm, valve decompressor is the culprit on mine. Does the ticking go away on throttle up? If so, there's your culprit. Assuming the valves were loose and not over shimed tight when you bought it. Good luck and hope this helps you out, Matt

honda400ex2003
11-02-2010, 12:47 AM
these dont get shimmed at all. they just get adjusted to where they need to be. there will always be a bit of noise out of them and is quite noticable. it just depends on how much tick there actually is, as to if something is actually wrong or not. steve

honda400ex2003
11-02-2010, 12:47 AM
these dont get shimmed at all. they just get adjusted to where they need to be. there will always be a bit of noise out of them and is quite noticable. it just depends on how much tick there actually is, as to if something is actually wrong or not. steve