PDA

View Full Version : pilot jets

bulldog222
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
need to get pilot jets for 125 pitster with stock carb does anybody know what carb makes inter change with this carb and a baseline to go from as far as setting the pilot jet any help would be appreciated thanks

quadnana7
10-31-2010, 06:19 PM
We changed carb and intake.
Call Matt at Pitsterpro (801) 796-7416.
Very helpful

T@AFP
11-01-2010, 07:02 AM
We also changed the stock carb out. We couldn't get it to work right.
We finally put a mikuni 26m round slide, BIG difference. For $100.00 it was well worth it.

Ride1Rob
11-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by T@AFP
We also changed the stock carb out. We couldn't get it to work right.
We finally put a mikuni 26m round slide, BIG difference. For $100.00 it was well worth it.

Ahhh, the ole VM26 606 never seems to disappoint :muscle:

bulldog222
11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
thanks guys thats what we were leaning towards we deal with giddings machine racing on this thing and with work and no time to call or visit with him i knew u guys could throw something at me thanks alot

Coley'sdad#8
11-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Ahhh, the ole VM26 606 never seems to disappoint

LOLOLO it's so easy even a caveman can do it

swamp
11-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Ebay has them for 50 bucks

The carbs are just to small to make any power.. They are good for the 90 motors but the 150 and 125s need to breathe..i run a flat slide keihen 28mm. I ran the stock carb, it ran good just not near enuff.. Oh yea I run the long kitaco intake.

Ride1Rob
11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by swamp
Ebay has them for 50 bucks

The carbs are just to small to make any power.. They are good for the 90 motors but the 150 and 125s need to breathe..i run a flat slide keihen 28mm. I ran the stock carb, it ran good just not near enuff.. Oh yea I run the long kitaco intake.

You have to be careful of what you're buying off of ebay. A VM26 606 doesn't sale for $50.00. The knockoffs run around that price and just for info there is a VM26 Mikuni that is NOT the 606 carb. There is a difference between the two. The VM26 606 is in the $100 price range and more than enough for a 150 and even more.

swamp
11-09-2010, 01:50 AM
i didnt no they were different.. We ran the 50 dollar mikuni with no problems... She won a championship with one......i kinda figured round slide 26 is a round slide 26. What makes the 606 better to spend the extra 50 bucks ?

The carb we are running now really woke the bike up.. It does have a small bog or i dont no what to call it, you hear the carb open up before it goes then BLAMO....it takes off...

mind you its a still stock out of the box 125 pitster motor with a robbs racing pipe... i think I need to take the plunge and get the CHP pipe..

oh yea i run a 101 race gas...

do you no the size of the stock carb they sent me?

swamp
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
i forgot also you dont need pilot jets you need main jets.....i have never changed a pilot jet

Coley'sdad#8
11-09-2010, 05:28 AM
i forgot also you dont need pilot jets you need main jets.....i have never changed a pilot jet

It does have a small bog or i dont no what to call it, you hear the carb open up before it goes then BLAMO....it takes off...

Well there you have it!!!!!!!!!!!
If you have an incorrect pilot it will give you that hesitation off idle.
The pilot has an effective range of 0 to 1/4 throttle but is also enhanced and works in conjunction with the needle and needle jet.

Ride1Rob
11-09-2010, 06:16 AM
i didnt no they were different.. We ran the 50 dollar mikuni with no problems... She won a championship with one......i kinda figured round slide 26 is a round slide 26. What makes the 606 better to spend the extra 50 bucks ?

The carb we are running now really woke the bike up.. It does have a small bog or i dont no what to call it, you hear the carb open up before it goes then BLAMO....it takes off...

mind you its a still stock out of the box 125 pitster motor with a robbs racing pipe... i think I need to take the plunge and get the CHP pipe..

oh yea i run a 101 race gas...

do you no the size of the stock carb they sent me?

What Chris said! The performance/response is better and easier to dial in on the 606. Sure there are cheaper but their normally harder to dial in on the jetting and you normally have the bog you have now. Some have jetted all the way up and down and just can't get rid of it. Some work fine but most have those issues. That's with the Oko26 as well. Guess it's kinda like the same size/different make tension springs on the cvt's. One just doesn't do quite as well as the other. But they're both the same sized springs. The carb Pitster sends you stock is only a 22mm carb. As far as you running race gas you're wasting your $. We're running a pretty tricked out motor and we're still running ole 93 octane. Unless you're going to run something like the Oxygenated fuels you're not going to see any performance from the race fuels because of your compression. One thing you do benefit from running what you're running now.... It smells good ;)

swamp
11-09-2010, 10:19 AM
the bog come from a poor squish in the head and a poor cut on the vavles our kitaco motor did the same thing until the folks at Rage ported the head...

The exhast port doesnt let the compressed air escape in an efficient manor until forced out of the head.....

i am running a flat slide....and its not really a bog its more of you hear the carb first.. does that make sence... Holley runs the bike half to full throttle almost the whole time..

we havent put the pitster motor on the dyno yet but i guess stock its around 9 to 11 h.p. the bigger carb and intake around 12 to 12.5 maybe......

rob what brand cam are you running..

last for now we got a 3\4 difference in horse power on the dyno with the gas we are running compared to pump gas.... Plus i dont have to worry about detenation.........

Ride1Rob
11-10-2010, 03:56 AM
We're running a stock yx custom ground cam for now. Only 2 more races and we'll be swapping heads with another setup that'll give us more ponies :muscle: .

Coley'sdad#8
11-10-2010, 05:16 AM
the bog come from a poor squish in the head and a poor cut on the vavles our kitaco motor did the same thing until the folks at Rage ported the head...

The exhast port doesnt let the compressed air escape in an efficient manor until forced out of the head.....

You don't build a motor around a carburetor, you jet a carb to work for that motor, a carb can be tuned to ANY motor without the bog, hesitation etc. Some carbs work better for certain applications hence round slides vs. flat slides.

swamp
11-10-2010, 08:57 AM
interesting on the cam rob...... The only reason i am running a flat slide is because it was the biggest one i had... So i basically went from a stock 22 to a 28 on a stock pitster 125 motor...

It made a huge difference and no i havent jetted it or moved the needle nothing... I took it off the kitaco motor and slapped it on the pitster...

Rob what motor are you runnning is it an extreme 150 or a piranha or something??????

T@AFP
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I tried using that carb on our Pitster 125 and couldn't get it to work properly. It popped and sputtered. I tried many jet configurations and nothing. I put that Mik 26 and night and day difference.
What jetting are you running?
One of the kids that rides for us in MX runs that and is also very happy with the performance.

interesting on the cam rob...... The only reason i am running a flat slide is because it was the biggest one i had... So i basically went from a stock 22 to a 28 on a stock pitster 125 motor...

It made a huge difference and no i havent jetted it or moved the needle nothing... I took it off the kitaco motor and slapped it on the pitster...

Rob what motor are you runnning is it an extreme 150 or a piranha or something??????

Ride1Rob
11-10-2010, 12:17 PM
That 28 is overkill for a 125cc setup. Most run the 26 Mik on that small of an engine as there are those that even run the 24 Mik. Have never heard of anyone going with the 28. That's even an arguement that is too big for a 150cc setup. We run the Piranha.

swamp
11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
the 28 is not an over kill it really helped the bike i lowered the needle and now its almost perfect. Our jetting is around 94 to 96 i cant remember...

we had the bike on the dyno and didnt have a jet small enuff for the air to fuel ratio... So, after taking a 100 jet and closing it with a hammer and redrilling it twice, the carb was perfect...

T@AFP do you have any idea why is popped..

The people building the motor are some of the best in the world. He said a 30 would work better but we cant run them in our association.

We are racing this weekend would love to see yall out there. I no its hard to drive across the U.S. just to go race. Rob you said you have two more races left where are they????

Ride1Rob
11-11-2010, 08:23 AM
The bigger your carb on these small motors the more bottom grunt you lose. Your topend may benefit from it so I guess it depends on what you're racing. I can tell you that I do know there are pitbikes with 200cc engines that are running 28mm carbs or bigger. Most of these are with heads that have intake/exh ports much larger than yours. When you say it has helped the bike it probably did because the stock 22m carb they sent with your Pitster is junk.

we had the bike on the dyno and didnt have a jet small enuff for the air to fuel ratio... So, after taking a 100 jet and closing it with a hammer and redrilling it twice, the carb was perfect...

The people building the motor are some of the best in the world. He said a 30 would work better but we cant run them in our association.

Not having a jet small enough for the air/fuel ratio may be a hint that your application is too big. I'd like to know who your builder is myself and what type of racing you guys do. We run Dade City MX series down in Florida.

Just alil info for you.... Look at some of the carbs being run on National built Rappy 250's. Think they're running 32/33mm setups. You're almost as big as they are in carb size but you're 2x's smaller than they are in cc's.

swamp
11-11-2010, 09:39 AM
most of our tracks are more wide open tracks...i have seen some of the raptors and they do make some power.... mx tracks.....

maybe it is to big, maybe its not just because everybody jumps off a bridge would you..... if it wasnt for experimenting these motors wouldnt be where they are.....

i like the carb and the power it makes.....

what class are you running with the 150 motor...

largest we can go with a mini (not a mod) is a 125

Ride1Rob
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM

maybe it is to big, maybe its not just because everybody jumps off a bridge would you..... if it wasnt for experimenting these motors wouldnt be where they are.....

Experimenting..... ? There's not many people that have experimented on these China motors out of their own garage more than I have. You couldn't count on your hands how many motor combos I've gone with to see what works vs. what doesn't. That includes trannies, cranks, heads, carbs, etc.... I also do more than my share of reading. Trust me, I know most all what works on these engines and what doesn't work so well. If your app works as good as you say it does and you're happy with it that's all that matters. Who's your builder?

We run a modified class with no cc limitations. Pretty much a run what you brung but the frame mounts and engines have to be production based.

swamp
11-12-2010, 09:44 PM
My engine builders are Dee Manshack and Justin Lawson at Rage
ATV..

Is there an age limit on the class, sounds like an interesting class......

what pipe are you running with that setup.... right now i am using a robbs racing pipe and soon will try the new CHP pipe..

I have done everything there is to do with the Honda motors.. and can tell you the Takegawa motor makes more power than anything i have seen yet..

the chinese motors need the roller set the takegawa has...

oh yea what trannys are you talking about........ and what worked the best for... but since we stole this thread i am going to open a new one