PDA

View Full Version : 300ex problem

alex1314
10-31-2010, 07:28 AM
Can you guys please help me? My battery died so i charged the battery. When i took the charger off and put the positive on to to battery it started to spark and the starter kept on spinning even if the key was off. if i put the key on and put it on run it starts but if you keep on holding the positive on the battery while its on the starter is still spinning. ??????????:mad:

wilkin250r
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Your solenoid is stuck. Needs a new starter solenoid.

alex1314
11-01-2010, 05:00 AM
can i fixed the starter solenoid or do i have to buy a new one

wilkin250r
11-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm not 100% certain WHERE it's located, so I can't tell you how to change it, but you'll need a new one.

Here is the problem. Your starter takes a LOT of power, way more power than your little starter button can handle. So in order to switch power on and off to your starter, you either need HUGE wires and a huge switch/button on your handlebars, or you need a big switch somewhere else that is activated by a smaller switch (or button) on your handlebars.

That big switch is your starter solenoid. It's basically like a big button that is activated by a smaller button. It seems redundant, but the reason is that now you can run a much smaller button on your handlebars.

The issue YOU are having is that your starter solenoid is welded in the permanantly closed position, like a button that is pressed down and won't pop back up. And the solenoid is sealed, you'd have to break it in order to get inside and pry it open again.

This is a common problem when you try to start your quad with a dead battery. Because the starter is spinning slowly, it's actually pulling MORE power from the battery, and that extra power is what welded your solenoid closed.