View Full Version : What to Buy for MX

luigi
10-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a 2005 TRX450r and I'm looking to get started in Motocross. Maybe run the Vorra series and some local tracks. My quad is mostly stock right now, but what would be the first thing I would need to get the quad able to race. I was thinking of getting the DWT Champion in a Box set and the a-arms, but not too sure. What would be the first thing i need to get started?

Also, the motor has a pipe and HRC kit not shown here.

eastside 400
10-29-2010, 06:23 PM
wheels and tires, then a pipe/filter setup.

Butter
10-29-2010, 06:47 PM
1. Wheels+Tires
2. Suspension
3. Pipe

Don't know your budget, but whatever you come up with in this order.

luigi
10-30-2010, 12:27 AM
ok, Im thinking of DWT Champion in a Box for the wheels, and American Star for the A-Arms. Any recommendations for the shocks?

PaRedneckRiders
10-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by rpfeifer11
Get good parts. American Star A arms are junk. Spend the little extra and get quality parts.
X2 i would never run any arm with a heim joint
I know there is ppl that like them but i dont, jmho.
I run houser on my 400ex
If i had to choose i would have went with Roll design first then LSR.
But i bought the houser used and got a decent deal so i didn't pass them up.

Balaz_73*00
10-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Seems like your just getting started with mx so id reccomend a set of arms that will accept your stock shocks. Dont spend a bunch of money right off the bat, work on your skill and see if you even like it. A kill swich is a must for most organized racing

motox_rider695
10-30-2010, 08:27 AM
+2 standard travel a arms JD performance are cheaper and good quality

+4 axle, g force is cheapest and not bad quality, not to mention lifetime warranty

rims/tires - run 18's in the rear and 20's up front

drop the front sprocket to a 13t, stay away from renthal

pipe, what ever you can find a deal on, try to find a rossier, dasa, sparks, hmf. Try to stay away from other companies

as far as the shocks go, you can just get them revalved/resprung. OR you can keep an eye out and try to find a used front end set up. Probably your cheapest and best way to go.

I wouldn't worry about motor until you get used to what you have, oince you feel like you have to over ride your bike to be competitive, then its time for motor work, piston, port job

Lquad71
10-30-2010, 08:39 AM
nobody said steering damper. whether it be a stick stabilizer or a puck style, you NEED a steering damper. it will help enormously.

motox_rider695
10-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
nobody said steering damper. whether it be a stick stabilizer or a puck style, you NEED a steering damper. it will help enormously.

if i had a stock quad and wanted to get it mx ready, i wouldn't be worried about a damper

yes it does help a lot and reduces a lot of arm pump but i would focus more on other things first

slightlybent47
10-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Suspension, suspension, suspension.

mx Eli
10-31-2010, 07:36 PM
to be honest im 14 and could have went a little longer on stock suspension then i did. (only rode mx for about 6 months) but I had the chance to buy my national 450r it was a great option

if i were you i would just change tires and rims then requirements (nerf bars tether) and see if you like the style of riding. if you do go ahead and looking for a used one with suspension, motor, and all the odds and ends and it'll save you a TON.

simon7
09-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Dude, Nice stock 05er. If you are on a budget and are going to leave your engine stock I would run a HMF slip on pull off your air box lid and re jet you carb. 178 main 48 pilot 2 3/4 turnes out on the fuel screw needle two up from the bottom should get you close with that pipe.
I can get you an awsome price on a pipe and wheels. I have a used set of Rath nerfs. You could probable get everything for less than 700.

**Advertising removed**

Kovatch
09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Essentials for racing MX:

Nerf bars: AC makes a decent set for a decent price. Rath 44 series are top notch

Kill switch: Didn't look hard enough for it in the picture

Tires/wheels: DWT's Champion in a Box is very nice, Razr Crosses hold up well.

-----

When you get the $$$:

SUSPENSION!!!!!! I would spend the money on a used LT front end. It is 100% not worth your money to waste it on a-arms for standard travel shocks. I did it and out grew the limitations of standard travel. The part-outs in the for sale section offer really nice stuff for relatively cheap. Look into PEP shocks

Axle: RPM. If you get the wider front end, be sure to get an axle too.

Stabilizer: stick or puck style. A stick will last you a good 2-3 years. People may say it's not worth it, but it will help your stamina while training/racing.

My moto after wasting money over the past 8 years on parts to get me by:
Do it right, do it once!!! Even if you buy parts used rims, suspension, or whatever, just make sure you set yourself up for later.

Don't by +1 standard travel a-arms knowing you want +2 or +3 long travel a-arms to get to 50" wide (I forget the widest you want for the trx) Also, to add 1" of width you can get 3/2 front rims, BUT if you get a-arms down the rode, you would want 4/1 rims with the widest set of a-arms....and you would have wasted $$$ on 3/2 rims...

Hope it helps.