PDA

View Full Version : Roll Design or Laeger

bigmatt61
10-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Which chassis builder do you prefer?

Which one has the more prestigous name when it comes to 250r's?

I'm just wondering if one is considered in higher regards more than the other. Is it a regional thing?

Matt

rayman375
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM
It's probably the same difference as for and chevy or adidas and nike.

trxredrider
10-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Both are great... If you are looking to get one or the other you need to see which you can find parts for the easiest. That is the big question... It's getting difficult to find parts for either one.

If we were back in 2001 I would say Roll all day long as I think that they are a slightly better engineered/designed chassis. But since it's almost 2011 I would lean more towards getting a Laeger as it seems that the parts are a little easier to get for them.

Again, you can't go wrong with either one - they are both excellent chassis.

I'm not sure on the regional thing... It seems like there are more Laegers from the midwest to east than Rolls. I'm not sure in other parts of the country.

bigmatt61
10-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for your replys.
I can't make up my mind on what to do with the I have.

Mony25
10-30-2010, 05:10 PM
I cant coment on comparing the two as i have never rode a laeger. I have a roll and absolutley love it. I have never had problems with parts as roll still has everything but the frame and subframe. getting parts for the laeger could be iffy with the situation of the company and i have heard more than one person compalin about the t pin front end being a pain for parts. however i would say there are a lot more used laegers out there for used parts to pop up.

MANIAK 88R
11-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Well, I still have my 199? issue of 3 and 4 wheel action that had a 7 way shootout with the top aftermarket frame companies. Laeger and roll were the top 2 followed by lonestar. Back then Roll was DRD&D. I have riden quite a few different aftermarket R's but I am still partial to my Laeger bike. I first rode my current bike in 1995 when a friend of mine first got it put together for the Mickey Thompson Series. That was the day that started a life-long love affair for the T-pin and the CR500 link. Looking at a Laeger bike compared to the roll or say a houser, they look a little P-$$y and yet the frames are stong as hell. My buddies houser bike has tubes that are almost twice the size as my Laeger. I always wanted a roll bike, I like the way the front of the frame looked. The Laeger's are more traditional to the original R. I haven't had any problem with parts for my T-pin. I bought the parts through rod end supply. They sell every kind of heim you could possibly think of. Then I had my uncle machine a set of bushings for me. The only thing I don't like about the T-pin arms is that the shock mount is enclosed in the tube. To attach the sway bar, I had to buy some brackets from rath and attach to the upper arms. The only other bike to give me a woody like my Laeger was a roll design no-link baja chassis. That thing was an f-n animal through big woops. It was a little sketchy through fast sweeping corners though due to the high center of gravity. I live in CA and out here we've got every kind of R you can think of. Bottom line for me is Laeger just because she was my first.

Lasher
11-05-2010, 09:52 AM
My thoughts...

When I started racing back in 1999, Laeger (T-pin, CR500) was the top of the line. Roll Design came into the picture as a top dog around 2000, the year Travis Spader won on a Roll chassis. I have a poster in my cube at work of all the 2000 champions. Shortly after, Walsh came in the scene with his version.

Those three are the "cream of the crop" to this day.

I would say that a Laeger T-pin set up was the most "famous" but here in the northeast, Walsh had a huge following, since he was based in CT.

I talked to a top local rider who switched from a Laeger to Roll chassis. He mentioned that they both were great but each excelled in different areas. I would say 99% of us could not ride any of the chassis mentioned to the level where the slight differences would matter.

I got a Walsh chassis last year and over a stock chassis...simply amazing.