PDA

View Full Version : 07 450er key removal and wiring question

Les Davis
10-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I've been reading different threads on wiring and key removal and can't get the answer I'm looking for.....help!

I just did the stock kill/starter/light cluster removal and added the dirt bike kill switch as a start button and then added a Pro Design kill switch. With both I unplugged the stock wiring from the white connector and spliced into the stock harness just behind the white connector so If I ever needed I could just snap in the old wiring if going back to stock. I also did the mod to be able start the bike in any gear. Now what I would like to accomplish is to remove the stock key? Is this possible and if so are there any downsides in doing so (fan operation)?

Also what are the purpose of the two wires under the throttle lever box? Is that the TPS wires? Can these be spliced together and tucked under the hood?

Scro
10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm assuming this is an ER, since you said start button. You will want to leave the key wired in, so you will have a way to turn the battery off. You can mount it out of sight, though. I've had mine under the hood, and also mounted on the down tube right above the bend in the exhaust. I've also drilled a hole in the plastic, just above the front fender, and mounted it there. If you had a kicker, you could just unplug it.

440ex. ehhh!!
10-29-2010, 02:57 PM
what about just wiring up a switch to it. that way you can still turn off your battery and not have to worry about the key.

Josh

Les Davis
10-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I'm assuming this is an ER, since you said start button. You will want to leave the key wired in, so you will have a way to turn the battery off. You can mount it out of sight, though. I've had mine under the hood, and also mounted on the down tube right above the bend in the exhaust. I've also drilled a hole in the plastic, just above the front fender, and mounted it there. If you had a kicker, you could just unplug it.

yes it is an ER. I've got an '04 kicker also and was trying to clean up the bars and run the bare minimum wiring. I'm gonna make a mount for the key but was trying to eliminate it all together. but looks like no dice:devil:

Any idea what the wires are under the throttle controls? TPS wires?

Scro
10-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Les Davis
yes it is an ER. I've got an '04 kicker also and was trying to clean up the bars and run the bare minimum wiring. I'm gonna make a mount for the key but was trying to eliminate it all together. but looks like no dice:devil:

Any idea what the wires are under the throttle controls? TPS wires?

Yes. You can clip those at the throttle, and tie the two wires together.

Les Davis
10-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Yes. You can clip those at the throttle, and tie the two wires together.

Thanks for the info Scro! I appreciate it

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Scro,
I have a question about those wires at the throttle. So unplugging it and clipping them at the throttle housing is NOT what I need to do. But clipping them at the throttle and wiring them together then tucking under the hood IS what should be done?
Correct on that?
Thanks!!

DnB_racing
01-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
Scro,
I have a question about those wires at the throttle. So unplugging it and clipping them at the throttle housing is NOT what I need to do. But clipping them at the throttle and wiring them together then tucking under the hood IS what should be done?
Correct on that?
Thanks!! no cut them and isolate it!! that green wire is the green wire to cut for the green wire mod

actuall all the wires from that first connector on the cdi can be isolated it will eliminate your tors but not your tps

jkiserracing
01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Wait that might have just confused me. Now I am planning on cutting the green wire at the cdi for the "green wire mod" but as far as these two green wires coming out of the throttle housing your saying NOT to wire them together, but instead just tuck em away??

jkiserracing
01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Ok. So, I clip the wires at the throttle housing up on the bars, do NOT tie the two together, tuck that under the hood somewhere and I have just done the "green wire mod" basically?

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 04:32 PM
yep!! sorry nope it goes to the greeen block then to the mod so you still have to cut at cdi

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
still have this connection

jkiserracing
01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Lol! This is getting over my head! Ok clip wires at throttle don't tie together (I think?) But DO cut the green wire at the cdi.
Btw, I really do appreciate all the wiring help you've given me for the last couple days!

DnB_racing
01-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
Lol! This is getting over my head! Ok clip wires at throttle don't tie together (I think?) But DO cut the green wire at the cdi.
Btw, I really do appreciate all the wiring help you've given me for the last couple days! correct!!!

its been a while since had to figure out the harness and had to actually think about it, i just copy the one I have, so its good for me to think about the basics of it again so its helping me as much as you!!!!

Ive done quite a few harnesses but really only thought about the first one and its been a long time !! so this is a good refresher