PDA

View Full Version : grease in the drive rollers

image151
10-28-2010, 10:03 PM
how much grease goes in the drive rollers?..i think i had put way too much in it the first time thinking it had to be packed with grease lol.. and how would u keep the rollers from coming out of their track? Also so the belt slips...i completely replaced the clutch and bearings so im pretty sure its not an issue there..i would think it is on the roller side ( i also replaced the rollers) so i dont know what else it could be

LT80
10-28-2010, 11:50 PM
I use a dab of grease on each roller and that's to hold them in place during installation.
The roller plate must stay in contact with the rollers. If it comes off, you must check to make sure the rollers are still in place.
Could it be slipping cuz of all the grease being flung around?
Ohhh, maybe you didn't get the key/slot on the roller plate aligned and it's turning...

image151
10-31-2010, 11:14 AM
ok the belt keeps slipping..but im pretty sure the rollers arent stayin in their slot...how do i keep them in there?

LT80
10-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Durring installation, you grab the variator like your grabbing the hole on a donut. <G>
This way you can keep the roller plate in contact with the rollers.
Put variator on the crankshaft and keep side pressure on while sliding it down onto the keyway/key.
This should keep it all together.
Hope that helps. :)

image151
10-31-2010, 03:13 PM
ok i offically found the problem lt80...

ok behind the clutch u have that spring that pushes the pulley together on the shaft.. for whatever reason when i put a lot of load on the motor that pulley is spreading and wont tighten back up..and i have to take two pair's of pliars to push/pull the pully to tighten it back up and close the gap...its really hard to understand what im talking bout through typing..i hope u get it lol:D

cannondale27
10-31-2010, 05:49 PM
You are talking about the secondary or back clutch?Thats what its supposed to do.Maybe the 2 pins that keep it from just spinning are broke though.It should go back together on its own.Take it apart and you will see what issue is.Might just be alot of crud or dryed up grease in there.Be careful taking it apart there is a nut keeping it together.Very fine thread and it might be lefthand if I remember right.Ask here about that.

LT80
11-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Ahh, I see,,rear clutch not going back together..Sorry. :)
Like cannondale said, take the rear clutch apart. Sounds like it needs some lubrication.
Remove the big nut (and yes it is left hand thread), then remove the collar that holds the 3 pins in. Remove the 3 pins (careful they don't fall out and you loose 1) and the clutch will come apart.
A lil lube goes a long way on the inside of the sliding face.
Hope that helps. :)

image151
11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
ight tryin to do that..the collar isnt cooperating very well

cannondale27
11-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Thats the problem then.It should slip right off.Thanks for clarifying LT80.My memory is gone I think!

image151
11-01-2010, 05:30 PM
i fixed it..man i'd like to know what year this thing is...it was white and purple hood and seat...it must be old..

after i got the drive pully apart it was all rusted and i knocked all the rust off and regreased it..i think i finally might have it running normal again lol .i'll be a professional lt80 mechanic after this..pretty bad when u can call an engine builder of these and ask a question and him say, " i dont know i've never been that far into one."

cannondale27
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Who was that?Doesnt pay to build motor and not clutches.I know that and I have only been around them for a few years.Buyer beware for sure!

image151
11-02-2010, 11:45 AM
i dont really wanna run anyones name into the ground..just for anyone reading this...ask questions lol

DSengineer
02-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by LT80
I use a dab of grease on each roller and that's to hold them in place during installation.
The roller plate must stay in contact with the rollers. If it comes off, you must check to make sure the rollers are still in place.
Could it be slipping cuz of all the grease being flung around?
Ohhh, maybe you didn't get the key/slot on the roller plate aligned and it's turning...

Couldn't you skip the grease and just tip the LT/motor on its side to ensure the plate stays in contact with the rollers during install? That was my plan anyways...

LT80
02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
I allways tip them on the side for clutch work.
If your good enough to insure the roller plate stays in place, go for it.
I recommend a dab of grease cuz alot of ppl can not insure the roller plate stays in contact. It's easier for some. :)

DSengineer
02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I got it back together with no grease. Just had to make sure pressure was constantly against the roller plate as you pointed out.